PDA

View Full Version : WIP Seascape

meggs
05-09-2015, 01:36 AM
I have been working on this and what seemed like a simple painting has been giving me headaches. Every time I look at it Im undecided, so am asking for C&Cs..

Its to be an auctioned off for a local Lions Club to help raise money for a Charitable goal in Thailand. The only thing missing from the painting is foreground grasses. Its 60x30cms. The time of day is on Dusk and I have taken this photo without flash.

I have just quit smoking and am indecisive about everything at the moment. I guess my main concern is..... Have I defined Everything enough or should the painting be sharper?? Please Help.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2015/200778-WIP.JPG

I tried to edit this post but WC was playing "silly buggars" and wouldnt save. The time of day for this painting is just on dusk.

bluefish
05-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Meggs....having lived on the beach for 20 some years I can say I seen many sunrises like this.....beautiful job.....my only comments are.....the sun reflection in the beach area would never be.....only the rays, not the round sun.....and a few sea gulls in the sky, because they are always there and add a little something.....to break up the horizontal water line you could add a few small sailboats on the right side in the far distance near the horizontal line and one larger one on the left side coming into the picture....just my thoughs....but a painting to be proud of ...great job and so nice to donate to such a worthy cause....I just gave one to auction off for 'breast cancer research'....

'blue....:wave:

ColinS
05-09-2015, 09:13 AM
This is really beautiful. Great light in the sky. I think Blue has some valid points that would add to it. Nice job!

Charlie's Mum
05-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Certainly it looks like dusk!:)

I think you've done a good job Meryl - and Blue's points are same as mine ...... the very first thought was a need for some verticals to break the horizontals - this could be sail boats as Blue says or your tall foreground grasses ....... light enough to see through, not block!:)

meggs
05-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Gee Guys.... Thanks for your comments, I really thought it was mediocre. I took up the brush tonight and played with it a bit more.. I love the seagull idea, so thats a must.

Blue I shall give the boats a miss,not my strong point.... With the long foreground grass added, I hope it will add the necessary vertical.
Im glad the dusk setting was evident though as I had the devils own trouble getting the tones I wanted.

Thank you all so much..:wave:

bluefish
05-09-2015, 11:53 AM
whether it is 'sunrise' or 'sunset' depends on your geographical location....I've seen this scene @ 5AM in the morning but those on our west coast would see it @ dusk....I lived on a small Island and would see that scene of the sun coming up in the morning over the ocean and the dusk scene in the evening over the bay....painted many of these, the bay scenes with sailboats and flowers where you have the beach grasses..I hope you don't cover to much of the beach area where the waves are hitting the sand...this is not easy to represent and you have done a very good job....Meggs, quitting cigarettes is wonderful for your health, but has also helped you produce wonderful paintings....you get one "atta girl"....:thumbsup:

Fox_eNova
05-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Very Nice!, yep some foreground grasses would make it

angiestaff
05-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Beautiful! My first thought also was that the setting sun's reflection wouldn't be round but other than that it's great and I can't wait to see the finished version!