PDA

View Full Version : Crayon melt art

zeropoint
05-09-2015, 12:52 AM
Hi! I have plenty of broken crayons and want to use them in an art project. A popular method seems to involve hot gluing the crayons to canvas and then using a blow dryer or heat gun to melt them. I think someone gave me instructions involving watercolor paper and the oven.

If you've done this, what methods do you like? What other media have you integrated?

naomiball
04-07-2017, 08:27 PM
When we were kids we would stick the tip of the crayon in a candle and touch it to the paper 2 or 3 times before it cooled to much. I ended up making a picture of a pear that I thought was pretty nice. The melted crayons had a tenancy to get black in them, I don't know if it was burnt wax or from touching the wick.

Naomi

esser
05-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Five suggestions

1. The standard Crayola type crayon is 3/8" and fits in a standard mini glue gun.
Can be used to drip splatter the crayon over whatever you're painting on (board, paper, 3D object).

2. A high quality heat gun (like for encaustic) or a hair dryer with high heat setting can be used to REmelt wax that is on your substrate, and move/blow it around for mixing.

3. A pallet knife can be used to produce more subtle/transparent colors in contrast to the lumpy opaque colors.

4. Stencils can be used effectively to mask your substrate.

5. Gravity is also useful to move molten wax, as spinning also would be.

marksmomagain
05-23-2017, 03:19 PM
when we were kids we used to take our crayons and set them atop the heat registers (after we turned up the heat). They would melt and run down the front of the registers.

Our parents were not amused:clear: