PDA

View Full Version : Dog Portraits in Pastel xp animals and wildlife

pencilportraits
05-08-2015, 03:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2015/143493-hollyfinal.jpg
So as mentioned I've been awol for a while but now I'm back I'd best get posting! This is a recent dog portrait in pastel of a much loved but sadly departed chocolate labrador named Holly. Her lucky Mum was given a gift certificate as a retirement gift (what a lucky lady!) and she sent me her favourite image to work from.
As everyone knows, sometimes the photos are really hard to work from and this one was no exception. However she was very pleased with it thankfully!
This one was 10x10 inches, pastel pencils (pitts, stabilos and derwents on brown pastelmat.)

water girl
05-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Wonderful! It's all about the eyes. if the eyes are off, the owners will know immediately. Lucky lady!

pencilportraits
05-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Wonderful! It's all about the eyes. if the eyes are off, the owners will know immediately. Lucky lady!
I so agree! I always start with the eyes! Everyone looks at the eyes so they have to be spot on

robertsloan2
05-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Good dog portrait. Love the shine on its fur, the affectionate eyes. You captured the individual there and something of her relationship to her mistress, no wonder she loves it!

ArtistMelinda
05-12-2015, 06:48 PM
wonderful handling of the fur sheen!

GrannyBee1254
05-13-2015, 03:16 AM
you've really given a sense of this sweet dogs' personality! I could very easily imagine him curled up at his owners' feet, enjoying the company of people. Very nice job!