PDA

View Full Version : Lynx Pastel Painting xp animals & wildlife

pencilportraits
05-08-2015, 02:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2015/143493-DSCN9885_3.JPG
Evening everyone! Not made it on here for a while and my resolution is to get on here more often!
This is my current work in progress of a beautiful lynx from a friend's photo. I'm using only derwent pastels as I'm going to make it into a tutorial so people don't need thousands of pastels (even though every pastel artist has thousands of pastels!) and it's on brown pastelmat. Finished size will be 8 x 8 inches.Once it's done I'll sort out some images so you can see more work in progress steps. Hope you are all well! I'm off for a nosey around to see what I've been missing lately! :wink2:

water girl
05-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Thank you for thinking about us. WIP's are so helpful, whether a beginner or professional. There is something special about watching another artist work. I have a few friends who never takes workshops because they believe their work will be influenced by the other artist, and everyones work will look alike. I've taken many workshops by artists with style much different than mine. However, I always manage to find information that relates to my needs.

pencilportraits
05-08-2015, 03:35 PM
You can learn techniques from lots of places but never style, that's always all your own I think!

robertsloan2
05-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Lovely lynx! I almost suggested you add the tufts on those gorgeous ears but then noticed there's no whiskers either, it's not finished! Settling in for a happy WIP experience. I'm crazy for cats and this is a beautiful cat, after seeing your dog I knew the lynx would be special. I was right! Wonderful eyes and expression, love that curiosity look!

pencilportraits
05-10-2015, 01:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2015/143493-DSCN0021_a.JPG
So my lynx is finished - hooray! I shall be sorting out some work in progress images to add shortly or even in order in a new post!

Blayne
05-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Beautiful work!

robertsloan2
05-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Oh! Oh she is wonderful! Out in her element, snowflakes clinging to her thick warm fur, wise eyes watching the world! I love her delicate whiskers and perfect long ear tufts and that fantastic snow! Breathtaking! I can feel the cold, the way it's not melting there on the tips of her hairs, very light snow, she'd shake it off in an instant! She's alive now, hot breath and cold hair tips and wonderful curious whiskers! It's like she's saying 'Well now, what are you, curled up in this little tent hide peering out at me? I don't see a gun and you're too big to eat, you just stay right there and we'll get along.'

I get this feeling like I've become part of her world, my patience rewarded and my hide passive enough that she's not threatened. She's just come up to investigate. She'll bound off in a moment when a rabbit or a squirrel twitches. It's that magic moment where if I don't scare her or irritate her, we have that connection... it's wonderful!