PDA

View Full Version : "Bunyan"

thevaliantx
05-06-2015, 09:57 PM
It got dark one (again). In racing the sun I had my phone's flashlight working. It got so dark out that I propped my cell phone between my legs in an attempt to differentiate between dark green and white. I started to overwork things and then just signed the painting and brought everything back inside. I then told my wife that I needed someone to hold the door open so that I could get the easel into the house without tripping over myself in the dark. She replied "turn the back porch light on". Genius she is :)

thevaliantx
05-06-2015, 11:26 PM
I made some changes. Initially I wanted the painting to look painterly, but one blend led to another and soon the colors were muted because of my eager fingers. My plan was to bathe the viewer in color and let the forms snd details work themselves out. I know, big dreams :)

thevaliantx
05-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Last update. Ellipses are going to be the end of me. I am moving onto something else.

thevaliantx
05-07-2015, 01:15 AM
An update :)

robertsloan2
05-07-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm enjoying seeing the improvements. Is that one pot shaped to sit on edge like that? I've seen it in other paintings you've done, if so it's very cool. If not I wonder how you keep it propped up for that. i like the color harmony, it's very cheery, soft shadows suggest slight overcast weather.

thevaliantx
05-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Robert, I love your observations, so honest and innocent. But that innocence is showing the flaws in my work. Remember, we live in a 'sensitive world'. You are only supposed to see things as I intended. Just kidding :) I wouldn't be nearly as far in my journey as an artist without the caring, corrective nature of you, Jackie, Blayne, Don, Allison and so many others. That pot started out sitting upright but correction after correction with the perspective causedit to lean. That's why The Leaning Tower of Pisa leans. Their perspective was off :) Also, the version you see now is so, so much different than the one I started out with. It started out with a bath of color, the strokes visible, but my fear of the paper's color showing through led me to blend and blend and blend, and well ..... I think it is a big mess, but I find joy in learning not what to do. Everybody talks about the looseness of my work, but I wonder whether they are just seeing the by-product of using bigger pastel sticks and the messiness of my corrections. Just thinking out loud.