PDA

View Full Version : "Strawberry"

thevaliantx
05-06-2015, 10:54 AM
16 11" Mount Vision Pastel on Mi-Teintes....the ellipse on the vase drove me nuts, but I got closer this time.

raxu
05-06-2015, 01:56 PM
... and there it is, the delicious apple again... well, what about the juicy strawberries? Could I taste them, please :)
An interesting painting, kind of alive. Love your line work.

water girl
05-06-2015, 02:51 PM
I find strawberries to be difficult to paint. You nailed it.

thevaliantx
05-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Raxu: okay, you got me. The apple just keeps hanging around :) I am trying to figure out when lines are most effective and when the stick should be laid on its side.

Watergirl: I tried to focus on areas of color and not just draw strawberries. The next time around I will just paint strawberries.

Mettaphorica
05-07-2015, 05:37 AM
I like your idea and your colours, but if I have to be honest, I find the steaming cup of tea out of place for this still life. I don't imagine tea and strawberries going together (unless what is in that cup is warm chocolate fondue dipping sauce!). To me, the composition as it is is a little incongruous, unless you were doing it deliberately and trying impart some message, but I don't think you are.

I am not an expert by any means, and so others may advise you differently, I'm just saying that the cup of tea (especially steaming) doesn't work for me and jars the painting. I look at the berries, but my eye is continuously drawn back to the steam emanating from the teacup, leading upward, and that's leading me out of your painting.

I think you've done a nice job and you have a nice, loose quality about your work, I personally would prefer not to see the cup of tea (the apple can stay...it fits in with your theme).
cheers
Donna

robertsloan2
05-07-2015, 07:27 AM
I love this one. Something so lively and airy about it. The tea looks herbal, light colored, maybe hibiscus or something that'd go well with strawberries. The steam is a texture and the light sings and depth is lovely. All because you did get good perspective and the way you did the strawberries as shapes of color was exactly the way to get them right. I noticed they were spaced evenly and wondered why that didn't bug me, till I realized two of them solidly connect with their reflection as an irregular mass of color. The far right one connects with the backdrop. The far left one with its reflection. Wow. No that's not five similar objects marching across at regular intervals at all!

Beautiful and a clever way to arrange them! I disagree on the tea with Donna because it's a bit light to be regular tea and I've often had tea in strawberry season. At least as often as I have tea anyway cause more into coffee.

LynneDe
05-07-2015, 08:31 AM
I really like the way the reflections of the berries show on the vase. You captured it nicely. :) I imagine a child playing with the fruit as an adult is trying to have their tea...and the vase gets tipped. I smiled -- first reaction to it. It is sweet.

Blessings

thevaliantx
05-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the sweet comments! Even the criticism motivates me :) I believe that if know all there is to know about any particular subject matter, it would do the soul good to walk away. For me the perfect storm is to pursue something you are unlikely to ever master, and find enjoyment through the trials and tribulations.

Mettaphorica
05-08-2015, 06:35 AM
Hi again
Well, I did take out some insurance by saying, 'maybe it's just me', because I would certainly listen to someone like Rob who is far more experienced than I am. Perhaps what is also playing in here is a cultural difference; perhaps Brits and Aussies (of which I am one) have a different view of what goes with 'tea', and what 'tea time' is, and that it is that that jars me. I am glad others have given you their feedback.
cheers
Donna

Still-trying
05-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Very pleasing color harmony to me in this. I love the tea cup and apple part of the painting myself. ( I would personally like it without the steam.)

But I have a question. Why did you place the still life on a "stairway"? Was that so you could elevate the objects to your eye level to draw them? I think it would be a better painting without the bottom step. IMHO, of course.

You constantly show improvement. Nice.

thevaliantx
05-08-2015, 02:58 PM
I will leave where the still life is sitting up to your interpretation. Some things I just feel are better suited to ambiguity.

Being self-taught over a 3.5 year journry, and dealing with long periods of health issues in which I do not create anything, I am happy with where I am at in my growth as an artist.

Thanks for the comments Still and Meta :)