PDA

View Full Version : which sketch do you like better?

thevaliantx
05-06-2015, 04:48 AM
This is going to be one of my next paintings. The first two sketches are a medeival setting. I hope to have knights or soldiers standing in the pods to the left, or I could leave them blank. Also, the sketch of my back porch will be a painting.

jackiesimmonds
05-06-2015, 10:38 AM
George it is a good idea, when doing prelim sketches of this kind, to push them to contain the pattern of tones within the image, not just the linear aspect.

This is because the tone pattern can change EVERYTHING.

You cannot tell, from your back porch sketch, whether the wall is lighter or darker than the ground, whether the side wall is darker or lighter than the front wall/backwall, whether the pot is lighter or darker than the ground, etc etc.

Take the side of your charcoal, and put in the tones over the top of the drawing, asking yourself the questions just as I did, above. You will see instantly what I mean when you do this.

Look at the line drawing on the left, them compare it to the tonal rendering on the right. See how much more telling the tonal one is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2015/1805-thumbs_x_2.jpg

You also get a good sense of the PATTERN of tones throughout the image, and how it all works within the rectangle.

and look how the story changes by the addition of tones to this one:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2015/1805-thumbnails_x_3.jpg

thevaliantx
05-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Jackie, I have a confession to make. I did that back porch after 8pm :) By the time I completed it I had the flashlight on my phone to tell me where anything was. I was sitting out there in pitch black darkness, easel and everything set up and ready to go, and then it was too dark. I will go back out there today and take a closer look. Can you tell by the sketch that I had started working in the values? I will push that sketch.

robertsloan2
05-07-2015, 12:57 PM
George, it would be so cool to copy the sketch and do tones for differen times of day - including the tones you get using the porch light! Thumbnail it for porch light. Nocturnes can be wonderful paintings. I like your second and third ones both. If doing little thumbnails wih the sketches you can test different lighting, like Jackie demonstrated you can have different tone patterns with different light.

Good sketching! I still see your tilted bowl, that's sort of a signature in your still lifes! Rendered very well in that second sketch!