PDA

View Full Version : East Path

creativevintage
05-05-2015, 09:39 PM
I think I finally moved past my block! This is 8 x 10 on Dakota premier paper. I did a very simple notan underpaintings using three values of red orange pastel and water instead of an alcohol wash.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2015/979782-image.jpg

robertsloan2
05-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Debbie, this is gorgeous! I love the simple feel of it and the way it looks like I'm climbing uphill. It just has that feel of going uphill. I couldn't tell you why, maybe a perspective effect or the horizon height, but it feels like I'm headed uphill and that's a great sense of depth.

water girl
05-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Beautiful use of color.

jackiesimmonds
05-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Robert the reason you feel like it is going uphill is because of the lack of AERIAL perspective - ie tonal gradation. The central bush, and the one to is left, are just as dark as anything in the foreground, so they pull the horizon line towards us.

If this is what was intended, a hill slope, it works very nicely.

Just a thought....Debbie, howsabout a few wheeling birds in the sky...our eye is drawn up towards that dark bush, but it is not really a strong or particularly enticing focal point; the birds might do it tho.

creativevintage
05-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Thank you! Yes Robert, you are climbing! This is an Atlantic sand dune on one of the barrier islands in Georgia. I am so glad I was able to portray the feeling I got when seeing them.

Jackie, thank you so much! I am going to play in photoshop today and see what it looks like with a couple of gulls flying about!

jackiesimmonds
05-06-2015, 10:28 AM
three ideally, not two.....

Donna T
05-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Beautiful! I love the way those colors sit next to each other in the field, Debbie.