PDA

View Full Version : India mill Chimney

Vizzex
05-04-2015, 11:27 AM
This was (still is I think) the largest victorian chimney in britain and a reminder of how the northwest was powered but the cotton industry. It is now the nesting ground for peregrine falcons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/articles/2008/03/18/history_india_mill_feature.shtml

Sculpture is polymer clay, 13cm high

Artchrispy
05-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Wonderful sculpture. Like how you included the car for scale and the texture on the ground plane. I'm so ignorant about sculpture but intend on learning some day. Do you have to bake this or does it dry hard? Would you use this to make a mold for mass reproduction? Just curious. Nice work!

Vizzex
05-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Hey artchrispy, yes this is sculpey firm you bake for about 8-15 minutes depending on thickness. Its great stuff to work with compared to plasticine etc.

ColinS
05-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Very cool. Must be quite the monument in real life.

AnnieA
05-05-2015, 11:47 AM
This is really interesting and well done too. I also like it that you included a car for scale - the chimney is really tall! I'm curious about so many things about this. How did you shape the sculpey clay; did you construct a mould first? I'm also very curious about the location of the actual chimney. Is it in the country? Or? Is it considered to be historic and worthy of preservation or did it survive because it happened to be more or less out of the way of "progress." Why was a chimney needed for the production of cotton?

It really is impressive - both the original chimney and your sculpture of it. Good work!

Vizzex
05-06-2015, 04:41 AM
Hey annie, I sculpted in sections, you can then sand and glue with liquid sculpey in the oven to keep it all in line. I did start sculpting as a block but didnt see the point once it began warping and squishing the back faces as I progressed.

I presume the chimney was an exhaust for huge steam engines for the cotton machines. It is preserved for historic or listed reasons yes, although unfortunately that does not seem to matter with the rest of the area of Blackburn, we lost some old buildings around here lately, perhaps I should get out and paint them before there are none left.