PDA

View Full Version : Some Wares

thevaliantx
05-04-2015, 01:06 AM
12x9" assorted pastels on construction paper ...

I know that construction paper fades badly and it fades quickly, but if you're in the mood for practicing then you can't go wrong. It is cheap and I LOVE how it pulls the color off the stick. Another advantage is that you can work on one piece of paper and use another one for testing colors and techniques.

DAK723
05-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Very nice! It has a "Matisse-like" feel!

Don

Blayne
05-04-2015, 09:59 PM
I like the blue and white cup and saucer, and your apple is terrific! I think the gold cup and saucer in the bottom right corner is pulling attention away from the main composition.

thevaliantx
05-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Blayne, I had thought about that, but then thought not putting something there would leave an empty space or I would have to crop that side of the paper. Isn't there enough pieces out there with three elements clumped together?

Don: I am flattered that my work would even resembles his, though I don't care for his abstract stuff :)

Edit: that gold cup and saucer in the lower right is supposed to be a copper bowl. Since I placed that item near my feet and was practically looking straight down at it I had a difficult time conveying what I was seeing.

raxu
05-05-2015, 04:06 AM
I love the light in this painting, and will eat the apple now... :)

thevaliantx
05-05-2015, 06:18 AM
That apple has cadmium in it. Do you swirl your brushes in your mouth? :)

Five
05-05-2015, 12:44 PM
I do like this.
As to using cheap paper....one day you are going to do something really outstanding on that cheap paper and you will wish you had used something better. When you reach a certain point of skill it is better to use good paper.

thevaliantx
05-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Am I ready to use the better quality paper?

raxu
05-06-2015, 07:39 AM
That apple has cadmium in it. Do you swirl your brushes in your mouth? :)

ooopsss :D Your warning came just in time - you see, the beautiful apple is still there :angel:

robertsloan2
05-07-2015, 03:00 PM
George, today you have done something truly outstanding on that cheap paper. It's wonderful! Please treat this as a study and buy a nice sheet of matching Mi-Tientes or Fabriano Tiziano and repaint it with good pastels on good paper.

Your idea of goofing around on construction paper makes sense for lots of sketching. However, when you get a good paintng like this, learn to repeat it with better materials. That's all I'm saying. The paper color is very much part of the cheerful feel of this still life. The view from above, the composition, the colors dancing against the red are all delightful. This one has a mood like no other you've done - and perhaps that wild joy comes from using kids' construction paper just like I bought 152 crayons and sketched with them.

Another cool choice might be the salmon colored Sennelier La Carte coated paper to repaint it on.

Keep the loose rough textures, the strong visible marks, the brilliant unblended strong strokes. This painting dances with light and life, it's like a country picnic or a holiday breakfast in the spring or a honeymoon lunch.

If you email Dick Blick and ask for samples of colors, they will send you a spinner of little bookmark size slices of Canson Mi-Tientes to let you order exact color matches to your construction papers if Mi-Tientes makes it. I think there are close equivalents to all of them. It does help to see all the colors in person to order. Someday I am going to get around to buying 50 sheets of the stuff to keep all the colors in stock all the time. Mi-Tientes reduced their color range from 60 to 50 but now all of them are lightfast so I'm happy about that.

Construction paper is nice and heavy too. I sometimes like to match supplies so I use student Blick pastels on non-archival papers for studies, it's fun.