PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better studio easel out there than this one for the price?

Moqui Steps
05-04-2015, 02:02 AM
We need a 2nd easel for the studio. Main use will be pastels, oils and water media and some light use as a work table mainly to cool down heat mounted papers and canvas as they come out of the dry mount press.

Requirements:
Able to slant forward of vertical so the pastel dust falls away from the paper
Lays flat so we can do watercolor washes on it
Able to hold large canvases and board mounted papers solidly - 48" plus
Wheels for easy movement with some kind of locking / leveling system when in useThe Monterey Convertible Studio Easel is the best fit for the requirements that I can find for the price. I don't want to spend much more than this one costs including shipping which is $250 to $300 depending on where I get it.

Any other suggestions I should look at?

Thanks,

Donald

robertsloan2
05-04-2015, 09:51 AM
That sounds pretty cool. The one I had was cheaper but didn't have wheels, did go flat but I had to put something on it. It was a Lobo easel, have seen those at Jerry's but got mine at Blick, now Blick has them in Lyptus too. I'd suggest looking at all the online suppliers, you may fnd a similar model on sale or even on closeout that has all the features you need. I'm figuring a wheeled one that locks is probably substantially heavier than the Lobo I used to have.

westcoast_Mike
05-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Check your ceiling height. The center mast is connected to the bottom tray. If you raise the bottom tray to comfortably work on a small piece, you may create a skylight.

Moqui Steps
05-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Fortunately we have a 12 foot ceiling in our new studio spot! If I were to move it to another area I would have to chop some of the center piece off most likely for smaller works, standing up.

This model appears to have the most stable support in its price range for the horizontal position. Some quite big, heavy and very expensive ones I have looked at only had a single tiny leg holding up one side when in flat mode.

Drbear
05-05-2015, 04:31 PM
That is my main easel and I love it!!

Moqui Steps
05-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks Calley. It's good to hear from someone who owns one. Have you ever used it laying flat either for artwork or as a work table of some kind? In one of the descriptions they suggested using a hollow panel door as a work surface in the flat position. Granted you wouldn't want to put really heavy stuff on there, but it would be handy to be able to cut mats & paper, framing and such on it when needed, removing the door and putting it against a wall when done. I don't have much room in the studio for a big table and large folding tables don't appeal to me.

robertsloan2
05-07-2015, 03:13 AM
I'm really liking this if I had the space for it. Makes sense a hollow core door would be a good addition to turn it into a work table. It sounds like your mind's made up, Donald. This is a good one and it suits your needs.

WOW! Calley, thanks for the photo of your studio with the easel in action! Drooling thoroughly at all your pastels out like that. Wonderful, wonderful colors! I see you've got what looks like a full set of Blue Earth and some Sennelier and a big full set of something charted on the wall and maybe in the rich, colorful trays. Love that setup. It must be a pure joy to have them all out in reach like that.

Was slightly confused seeing the cat pan up on top of a stack of stuff. I know the mess my cat would make of it if he wasn't using his flat on the floor. He'd object seriously if his scraping tipped it out and it fell. I'd hear about that for weeks, he's fussy about hygiene. But if cats are kept out and that's a tray for cleaning pastels it's a good big one, very cool!