PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on Linen Canvases

LatentArtist
05-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone

I'm a newbie from New Zealand and am not very sure how to navigate this site, but hopefully I'm somewhere near where I want to be. Neither do I have a lot of confidence when it comes to painting, but I'm having a go in acrylics.

To date I have mostly used cotton boxed canvases, but recently bought a few 'el cheapo' linen boxed canvases. It doesn't say anywhere whether they have been gessoed or in fact if they need gessoing.

I was wondering if I can paint straight onto them with acrylic. I actually attempted to gesso and prime one of them, but I got the impression that the gesso was a waste of time.

Can anybody help me here please?

Many thanks

:)

old_hobbyist
05-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Usually (although not always) ungessoed linen canvas (sometimes called flax or raw linen canvas) has a grayish color. I have used this canvas several times but only after coating it with several coats of gesso. I usually apply said gesso coats only after I mount the canvas to the support. And I usually soak the canvas in water and stretch it wet over the support. I wait until the canvas has dried before applying the gesso and usually use a roller to ensure uniform coatings.

If the canvas surface is white, it may be pre-gessoed. Under any conditions, I would still play it safe and apply at least one coat of gesso.

Oh, and if the acrylic gesso does not want to stick to the pre-gessoed canvas, it may have been coated with an oil-based gesso. If so, you'll probably need to reserve it for oil paintings.

LatentArtist
05-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Thank-you, old hobbyist. I will follow you're advice.

Fox_eNova
05-04-2015, 09:20 PM
If the canvas surface is white, it may be pre-gessoed. Under any conditions, I would still play it safe and apply at least one coat of gesso.
Aye, Agreed. Raw cloth material supports will suck the moister out of acrylic paint. Gesso, then Gesso some more...

jocko500
05-05-2015, 12:37 AM
old_hobbyist is right on

stapeliad
05-06-2015, 10:25 AM
If the linen is oil primed (it will feel different than gesso- smoother) do not put acrylic over it. The linen would clearly say oil primed on the packaging.