PDA

View Full Version : WDEs May1, April 24 and 17: color studies

sundiver
05-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Warning: this is long-winded and the paintings not inspiring, so feel free to skim over!
Sorry I haven't participated lately, been very busy getting ready for shows and galleries, all happening at once.
Am I the only one? I read articles and books by artists I admire, and they all say to make color charts, do color studies with various palettes, make value studies, make notans, make thumbnails, draw, draw, draw. And I say, yeah! I'm gonna do that! Tomorrow! (and I'm also gonna start my diet and re-organize the basement tomorrow, too!)
So I was unhappy with my colors in the April 17 WDE (and too busy to post it anyway). Here it is in the spirit of WDE, acrylics 6x8
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2015/6393-IMG_0004_400x283.jpg
and decided it was time to get cracking on the little studies.
April 24 was a 3-value study with a bit of color. acrylics on a scrap of primed foamcore. again in the spirit of-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2015/6393-IMG_0005_2_300x400.jpg
Then I started doing more formal little studies with various limited pallettes, also acrylics on foamcore scraps. I made little color wheels to use as charts.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2015/6393-IMG_0003_302x500.jpg
When this weeks WDE came along I used the same palette as the bottom study.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2015/6393-IMG_0002_500x333.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2015/6393-IMG_0001_500x500.jpg
Ok not very good, but it's a study, right? ;) :angel:
The reason I'm dumping all this on you is that I remember Mary's frustration with cats leading to a great thread on cat studies. So if there are any out there who could use some motivation to do various kinds of studies, we could start a thread.
Let me know if you are interested. I'm going to do them regardless so no pressure.
Thanks to the 3 hosts!

CARTLEDGE
05-03-2015, 01:11 PM
I love the colours in the landscapes Wendy. Some of the colour combinations to the side of your colour wheel are lovely as well. The thread sounds interesting too!

Valri Ary
05-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Ya....the cat frustrations! We started on Facebook then we were asked to do a thread here but WC get's bulky with comments and such. I bet you could find a group on FB that is doing studies or start a group there. I'd join!
I seldom do thumbnails and when I do they end up being better than the actual painting. I draw all the time BUT not often does that result in a painting. Color palettes? HUH? Never. But then I'm not trying to get in galleries. All the best to you, Wendy!
And I really like this weekends painting that you did.

eyepaint
05-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Hiya Wendy! No kidding that some "serious artists" have such work habits that leave me exhausted just reading about them. Good for you working on colour wheels and little studies! I'll join you around the end of the month?

Triduana
05-03-2015, 01:19 PM
It's interesting reading about your colours studies. i've never done anything like that, never even made a colour chart! I know I probably should ...

I like your painting for this week. Nice colours in the sky and water :)

connievanwinssen
05-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Lovely work on all!:)

tyree
05-03-2015, 03:32 PM
very ambitious goals youve set...i think if i had to do colour studies and thumbnails..i would end up just taking a nap instead:lol: well done though and thanks for sharing all your hard work ! tyree:wave:

CARTLEDGE
05-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Please don't use Facebook. I have no time for, or inclination, to use that form of communication. Let's keep it here on Wet Canvas - Please!

ams
05-03-2015, 09:22 PM
I'm like Valri. I've done quick sketches that I liked and decided to do a larger painting and it's never as good as the original sketch.

I have done a lot of experimenting with color and mixing paints from my palette but I don't do it for each painting.

I enjoyed looking at your painting this week and all of the little studies you did.

Anne

coaltip
05-04-2015, 01:18 AM
Wow! You have been so busy.

Your last piece is my favorite. :)

Marie-Thomas
05-04-2015, 03:14 AM
not very good :eek: are you kiddin!

I love the last work but also the studies are very nice.

If you decide to work on this I would love to join (facebook or wetcanvas). It would keep me motivated not trying to tackle these kind of things alone.

Lakish
05-04-2015, 04:08 AM
I love your little studies/ paintings....am on a similar project for myself, doing color charts and value studies and monochrome paintings...am really enjoying it and would love to be part of such a thread....!!!

Do message me when we are ready:-)))

Kish

KreativeK
05-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Wendy, your work never disappoints. I love your boat scene; colors are different and exciting. All your others following are equally nice. Color charts? With each one? No way, Jose...would never get anything done...best trick is to learn with each painting what works.

sundiver
05-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Color charts? With each one? No way, Jose...would never get anything done... .

Nononono, not with every one! :eek: After I have made some that I like, I will save and use them for future paintings. As long as I remember to label the colors I used!
But when I remember to do a quick value study I'm usually very glad I did.

surob
05-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Value studies and color studies. It's like the homework one hates to do. I should probably be doing the same thing. Good for you!

rozzi
05-05-2015, 01:28 AM
This is great. I really like the landscape and the palette. And I like your idea of doing studies. I started this last year with gouache landscape studies using different palettes but only got up to # 4.
I got over my anti facebook phobia to join in Artists Journal Workshop group and EDIM as well. There is a lot of activity and it's hard to keep track of posts but is much easier to use via the app. Another way is Flickr. I quite like that because you can see all the photos quickly. Let us know when you start this.

skappy
05-06-2015, 01:51 AM
Very good Wendy love how the 3rd came along
Robert

artastic
05-07-2015, 09:04 AM
wonderful and dedicated, I keep telling myself to do the same, but I paint on the fly, I should probably do some value studies and am planning on some plein air pieces for a series I plan on working on this summer, studies would probably be smart, so PM me if you start a thread I could use the practice

guilliame
05-08-2015, 06:11 AM
Hey Wendy:wave: lots to love and like in your colour studies:clap: