PDA

View Full Version : Practice Painting

acrylicpaintnewb16
05-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Hi guys!

I just painted this landscape in acrylics and would love to hear any comments and feedback :)

I had lots of fun blending the colours in the sky and waters. :cat:

Cheers,
Isabella

Charlie's Mum
05-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Well good for you! Having fun while learning is what it's all about!

I've cropped and straightened the image for you - see how much better it is for the viewer if we can see it straight on and without all the extra stuff around it?:)

Are you painting this from memory, imagination, a photo or life?
Would you like suggestions, C&C?

How big is it? - nice for us to know with future ones!:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2015/30494-mountain_Isabella.jpg

acrylicpaintnewb16
05-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Hi Maureen! Hee thanks for cropping the image agreed much less distracting. It is based on a reference photo on a 50 x 50 stretched canvas. I'm facing difficulty with painting believable grass in the foreground at this moment !

Morton
05-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum. Too right, have fun. Life's too short not to have fun.

I like that grassy bank on the right with the colour variation going on there but, yes, the foreground grass needs a bit of tarting up. I don't think it is one of the easiest elements but you'll get there.

ColinS
05-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

Nice painting. The little grassy knoll on the right is very good. Grass is troublesome. I am still trying to get the right effect. Don't be afraid to put in a few flecks of really dark shadows in he foreground grass to give it depth. The little stump at the very bottom of the scene is a bit of a distraction. The water surface is nice.

acrylicpaintnewb16
05-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Haha yes my goal now is to make the grass more realistic !! Lots of work to go in the foreground. I'm thinking of using some glazing medium to increase blending time. Have never tried the mediums gonna be fun to explore

Thanks for the encouragement everyone !!

jocko500
05-05-2015, 12:11 AM
add a little yellow to some of the greens in the foreground also. plus the dark greens too for shadows

LavenderFrost
05-05-2015, 11:23 AM
The building on the left side looks like it's on the water and it's roof is "kissing" the shoreline (one of the few composition rules I can remember).

The trees on that side look kind of strange. Spend more time studying the form of the trunks and branches.

That almost looks like a tiny person at the bottom. lol But I agree with Colin, it's distracting.

The foreground grasses are usually my least favourite part of a landscape to paint. A lot of layering and finishing with details.

On the positive side the rest looks pretty good, you have some very nice colours in there and nice foliage in the background.

AprilJoy
05-05-2015, 07:37 PM
You have some really good elements in there! And lots of good advise here.

Acrylics are a lot of fun and sometimes frustrating (isn't everything at some point?).
I keep spray bottles nearby: mineral water and a mineral water/flo aid 1/20 mix). Misting is a good way to keep things workable :)

(I found your original pic to have interesting things in the background ;))

Carry on...

acrylicpaintnewb16
05-06-2015, 01:46 AM
Hello guys! Thanks so much for all the advice :) everyone is so helpful on this forum :)
Now that you mention my house on the left do look like it is floating, I think the roof should extend above the horizon. Will work on that!! Haha yes and the blending really gives me problem here with the quick drying! Think I will try the misting spray too :) the little brown patch is a man (WIP) wearing a robe. Haha. I can't wait to work on all the suggestions. Will post an update soon !

LavenderFrost
05-06-2015, 11:35 AM
And I was thinking it was woman. lol Was the man in your reference? He looks way too small, about the height of the grass. Unless he's a brownie. lol Looking at the picture I guess our point of view is from above, but he should still be bigger. This is where you need to know all that perspective stuff.

cinderblockstudios
05-06-2015, 03:50 PM
This is a nice first try, but you still have a lot to improve on. Perhaps you can find one of my video tutorials helpful for your next piece: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96251A0AFD6FD2F7