PDA

View Full Version : Colonel Carter

oldrockchick
05-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Hello :wave:

I think it is probably my first time posting here, although if I have before it would have been in the dim and distant past.

My name is Lin and I've always struggled with pastels because of the dust, but I've been building up a collection of pastel pencils which I'm absolutely loving.:heart:

I thought I'd share this with you.

'Colonel Carter'
Pastel Pencils
Hahnemule Pastelmat
10" x 12"
Reference TV footage

I've actually had this one drawn out ready to work for some time. I found myself at a loose end for a couple of nights and wanted something to try out various brands of pastel pencil on this surface. As it was to hand I thought I'd use it.
Maybe I need to do the rest of the team now.
I do have the whole 10 series on DVD so should have no trouble with references!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2015/179312-watermarked-May_15_Colonel_Carter_pastels_p_on_Hahn_Pastelmat_10_x_12_ins.jpg

pastel65
05-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Wonderful painting. Pam:wave:

Blayne
05-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Lin, I remember you from a few years ago when I used to post in the WDE. Welcome to the pastel forum!

Your portrait is lovely, very dramatic! I'm afraid I can't comment on a likeness because I'm not familiar with who she is. I do like the modeling of her face and especially like the loose treatment of her hair, and the terrific lights and darks in her clothing.

fingy
05-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Well done ......I have been using pastel pencils for approx 7 years now & I love them too , I wouldn't use anything else .
This painting is wonderful !!

Barbara

water girl
05-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Welcome back! I am not familiar with this woman, but you have portrayed her as a confident, strong figure. Nice job!

Still-trying
05-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Lin: lovely portrait. Nice to see you here. I love your photos in the reference library.

Jay

Shirl Parker
05-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Brilliant.

sketchZ1ol
05-03-2015, 05:12 PM
hello
very distinctive image with strong marks/colour !

the purple neck is an issue for me ;
it's softer than the jacket and seems to relate by value , but ...

is this a post-mortum piece , or someone who is being forced to be silent about something ?
( - been reading a lot of ' high-brow ' art mags lately , and concept/message is part of reviews of
artists/shows :rolleyes: )

i like the strong marks/colour - relates to the printed ' pop art prints/'cartoons' of the 50's-70's
but a definite ' made-by-hand ' feel . :)

Ed