PDA

View Full Version : New to list

Charles
07-02-2001, 06:22 PM
Hi to everyone,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I have been painting with oils for the past 6 yrs. I am in the health profession and paint purely as a hobby. I also enjoy 35mm photography which i started to get reference material to paint. I recently experienced a "painter's block". I do love painting with oils but wanted to try another medium. I enjoy using "color"...bright, luminos color. That left acrylics and/or pastels.

I have been lurking behind this site and understand and have experienced the differences between acrylics and oils...acrylics can be frustrating. But as one poster said "if you understand that they are different and choose your battles, acrylics are a pleasure to work with". I am using Liquitex and Golden paints,
synthetic and bristle bruches. I have tried the retarders but have found i blend better without them. Of interest, painting with acrylics has made my style "looser", which is what i have been striving to do.

My degree is not in fine arts. I have taken several courses at the local museum which were extremely helpful. The intructor who now lives in another city was very, very good. By the way, Andrew Whyet's(sp) exhibit "Friends" is presenty being shown.

I paint portraits,stills, and landscapes. I have six portraits and several stills hanging in various homes in my city (friends).

I thank all of you artist out there, especially the instructors.

What's next: Enroll in an oil/acrylic class this fall.
Work on composition.
Re-read Stephen Quiller's books and do the
exercises.
WOW Excuse me...i don't normally talk this much.

Charles
:cool: ;)

Bruce Newman
07-02-2001, 08:54 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas, Charles. It takes a little bit to figure out everything here, but enjoy all the forums, Cafe Guerbois for general chit chat, or live chat in the evenings.

I look forward to seeing your work and hearing your experiences.

Bruce

animal
07-02-2001, 09:58 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas, Charles! Feel free to email me if you need any help.:D

Ruth
07-04-2001, 09:06 AM
Welcome Charles. I'm in SC also. If you've been lurking, you already know what a wonderful site this is! Post pictures and ask questions, you'll get lots of help and encouragement!

Ruth
:D

Reye
07-07-2001, 10:58 AM
Charles
Hey Charles...welcome....you will find several Carolinians here and a lot of good, positive advice and help from some excellent artists - pros!! Just wanted to mention that there are a number of very helpful "short courses" here too, if you have not found them yet look at the home page.
scream at me if I can help you around but Scott is the Man who engineers this whole thing and is great.
Jerry:D