PDA

View Full Version : Portrait

EnPassant
05-01-2015, 01:48 PM
I'll be doing a second version of this. Any comments before I start? 10 x 14 inches. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2015/1966540-P3.JPG

Delofasht
05-01-2015, 02:13 PM
It's a good base to work from, can I ask why you would do a second version and not just paint over this one though? I feel like you could just continue from this point adding more and more layers as needed to get the result you are looking for.

Also, what is it that you are trying to convey in this portrait? That will help shape every other decision made in the painting. I particularly like the cool shadow from the hair on the face and the reflected blue light from the reflection on her shirt into her jaw (though that might also be reflected into her neck as well).

cliff.kachinske
05-01-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm confused by the direction of the light. Shadow side of nose says the light is coming from the left. Shadow of the hair is opposite.

Eyes mismatch a bit, I think.

ColinS
05-01-2015, 03:58 PM
The face looks very very good to me. But there is something that isn't working for me around the collar (bones?) and base of the neck, especially on the viewer's left. the hair is good and I like the light on the right side of the shirt.

Charlie's Mum
05-01-2015, 04:54 PM
You need to check the size and level of the eyes - the one on our right is bigger and lower - also the depth of the upper lids.
Check also the anatomy of the collar bone where it joins the sternum - this one is too high.
If the light is coming from the right, the left side of the face would be in shadow - atm, you have highlight down the right (our right) of the nose but also shadow to the right - confusing!:)

susme48
05-01-2015, 06:30 PM
I really like this so far! Agree with what has been said, as well. I like how you have kept it loose. :) Noticed that the shoulder seem a bit off on her right (our left)? (Usually women's shoulder width is about two head widths.)

jonc50
05-02-2015, 12:46 AM
One teeny weeny pet peeve...paint the background so that the brush marks don't follow the figure outline.

EnPassant
05-03-2015, 05:40 AM
Many thanks all for your helpful comments. Delofhast, I normally do at least two versions of each portrait so I'll get started on the next one. I was mainly trying to get the effect of strong sunlight and loose painting. My source photo is tiny so it is mostly invention. I repainted some of this and worked out the tones better.(I must have a peek at your DA work)

dceska93
05-04-2015, 09:47 AM
I agree with the other comments made, but do think this is a really good start so far. I struggle most with portraits, so I do enjoy seeing other peoples work when it comes to portraits.

EnPassant
05-04-2015, 12:41 PM
On Delofasht's advice I did some over painting and am now ready to start a proper version. Thanks again all for your valuable advice.
Dceska93, the only way to learn portraits is to keep doing them and never give up! Personally I think the main problems involve drawing and tonal values - and tonal values - colour is something you can learn and pick up along the way. I did this from a very small newspaper photo so most of it is invented.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2015/1966540-P3b.JPG