PDA

View Full Version : Australian M113 APC and Bell Huey in Vietnam

Pete Hill
05-01-2015, 10:19 AM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/hill9868/_57_zpsaivzp4tx.jpg

Here's one I just completed two nights ago of Australian forces in Vietnam. The figures and the Huey chopper were taken from different photos whilst the APC was based on a photo of a model.

gollum
05-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Love the chopper

Only ever seen a huey once....they really do sound like they do in the movies & what a sound......:cool:

Gray539
05-01-2015, 01:03 PM
I like the style of your paintings.

ASHO77
06-19-2015, 08:45 PM
G'day Pete..brilliant art piece mate. I envy you guys that can make art like this. I just wanted to point of some things from not only a art/military modelling lovers point of view but also from an ex Australian Army infantry member,these some mistakes to you "Vietnam" era picture. Please don't take offence,it's meant as constructive advice that I hope you don't mind hearing?

The UH-1H Huey you have painted is the much later version from the mid-late 80's up until just recently when they were retired. Our Hueys in Nam were olive drab "D" models so they would be very different. Now A/C number on the door,no cable cutters on the roof and lower nose, no camo scheme, no whip antenna on the cockpit roof,no antenna on tail of engine casing near the red clearance light, no oil cooler shroud under the rear of the engine bay/cab and no "toilet bowl" exhaust. Our Hueys were flown by the Royal Australian Air Force in Nam so had the squadron crest on both cockpit doors,"RAAF" in black lettering on the tail,the aircraft registration number on the tail and the "friends-colour" bands on the tail. The nose was a straight olive drab across the top of the plexiglass chin bubbles and the loadies would have had twin M-60's on mounts on the side of the ship that would be retrofitted with minigins/rockets/twin 60's for the UH-1D "Bushranger" gunships.

We also flew the UH-1B/C models in a similar configuration as a "slick" and a gunship called "Ned Kelly". I'm happy to forward you some images if you'd like to paint them.

The M-113 has the kangaroo facing the wrong way..the Roo always faces the enemy and most of our APC's in Nam were fitted with the .30/.50 cal Cadillac gun turrets which you've kind of presented here but the flex mounted .30 cal was not standard on the M-113. It was however on the Centurian tanks,which would also make for a great Nam painting itself!

Hope I haven't ruffled your feathers with this post? Just a view point from an ex digger who knows what other diggers would spot wrong with your painting straight away. Keep up the great work honouring the courageous Australian men and women who served in Vietnam. 👍🏻🇦🇺

Pete Hill
07-16-2015, 12:32 AM
G'Day,
thanks for the detailed feedback and thanks heaps for all the information, I appreciate it (and don't mind it at all! :) )
I have done a couple of other Vietnam pieces, here's some below:-
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/hill9868/P1210850_zpsiyvjziqe.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/hill9868/P1200838_zpsa15f300f.jpg

Pete

ASHO77
08-15-2015, 03:53 AM
Pete..these look great!! But I have to ask you..how do you draw the aircraft onto canvas? Do you trace onto the canvas using carbon copy paper? I'd like to do similar artwork models when we finally get a house sorted. It'd be great to get some advice from you and other artists on here too.

Gray539
08-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Very nice pair of paintings, Pete.

PaulsPaintPot
08-25-2015, 06:23 AM
That second one looks like the pilot is pulling coarse pitch for a swift take off! Really nice paintings.

Pete Hill
09-01-2015, 10:54 PM
".....Pete..these look great!! But I have to ask you..how do you draw the aircraft onto canvas? Do you trace onto the canvas using carbon copy paper? I'd like to do similar artwork models when we finally get a house sorted. It'd be great to get some advice from you and other artists on here too......"

These works were done on paper. I usually make a point of sketching and drawing freehand the image onto the paper but sometimes with certain aircraft from certain angles (especially Spitfires!) I have to resort to tracing (which I hate doing). I hold the paper over a flouro light and trace it that way.
Pete.