PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Dry-Cafe: May 2015

Charlie's Mum
05-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Happy May Day everyone and hope you have a Maypole somewhere to dance around!:lol:

The Q-D-C has been cleaned and is ready for a new month - healthy food and drinks here only - zero calories but mouthwatering sights and ideas from a certain fellow member ;);)!!!!!!!
Dig in!!!:lol:

susme48
05-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Congrats, Carol!!

Howard...that has got to suck!!

PattiLou
05-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Happy May Day! No maypole here either, but when I was in grade school we used to dance around the Maypole. May was when the weather was finally getting decent, no snow on the playground and I bet the teachers were celebrating too.:lol: That was many moons ago and we moved when I was in fifth grade. The new school did not celebrate May Day.

Fox_eNova
05-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Maypole? May Pole: When I was a kid that was our Fly rod. Used only in May with Mayfly's, for catching trout. I remember( Yes Patti, a few moons ago) we too had a Maypole in grade school and that the kids danced around it, never did figure out what the tradition was about or what good it was. Still don't. Lived without one all these years, did Okay.:lol:

ColinS
05-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Happy May Day. A nice day here, with the promise of a good weekend. :clap: We used to have a Maypole at my public school in Toronto as well back in the 60s.

asmith38
05-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Happy May Day!

I hope everyone's doing well. I am sorry I have been MIA, lots happening in real life. This month is going to be another busy one, hopefully it will calm down when June starts.

idylbrush
05-01-2015, 09:25 PM
In my world a traveling show would hire on new folks and head out on the road and generally many wouldn't make it past the first of May. They became known as the first of May until they became seasoned travelers.

idylbrush
05-02-2015, 08:05 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2015/36241-DSC03238.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2015/36241-DSC03240.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2015/36241-DSC03241.jpeg

From the top

First frangipani to bloom
Red Geranium
Variegated Ginger bloom

cliff.kachinske
05-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Howard, nice eye candy.

AprilJoy
05-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Pretty flowers, Howard!
It's a discovery every day here, not knowing all that will pop up out of the yard (so many daffodils!) several flowering trees and little violets (or Johnnie Jump-ups?) the yard around the house is full of them.
Gorgeous weather, today.
Is that the goal of dancing around the May pole? Beautiful weather? Or is it to keep Sasquatch away? hmm...

PattiLou
05-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Eric, when we lived in South Carolina and visited the lake in May the Mayfly were swarming. Kept the fish happy I'm sure. Glad they don't hang around long though, they have such a short life span. Where did you go fishing for trout? Don't think there were any down at the dam, lot's of catfish though. :thumbsup:

The school that had the Maypole was a small country school, I quite liked it. But then when we moved closer to the city and I transferred to a much larger school things were never the same.

Nice pictures Howard. I saw a surprise in my yard too and need to take the camera for a walk. :lol:

susme48
05-02-2015, 05:07 PM
No flowers to share....but a cool shot of a Carolina anole. Been rather fascinated learning about their behavior this year. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2015/51170-anole3.jpg

idylbrush
05-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Wonderful creatures aren't they. Fascinating to watch.

Fox_eNova
05-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Patti, Mad River was "the" place for trout. The state used to stock it. I lived in Urbana in Champaign county in the late 50's. The Boy Scout campgrounds on rt. 294, was the best place. Camp-out, swim, fish, sit around campfire eating hot dogs & marshmallows, tell lies and spook stories ... IMHO, kids are missing that kind of growing-up today.
In all fairness to the kids. If you did all of that today, the sheriff will arrest you for trespassing and illegal campfire, and take you to Juvi jail, call your parents and give you a court date...:(

Lady Carol
05-03-2015, 01:04 AM
I had an interesting experience today. My sister took me to a clothing place that raises money for charity. You buy a garbage bag and go through clothes that are laid out on tarpaulins. Stuff the garbage bag with as much as it can hold and leave. Each bag cost $5. I got some designer clothes and also regular run of the mill types clothes. The problem is that you cannot try on the clothes but I figure for $5, I can donate to vinnies or Red Cross, etc anything that doesn't fit. I came away with about 40 different items. I reckon I got about 20 wearable items and some are pretty cool outfits.

Fox_eNova
05-03-2015, 01:59 AM
20 items for $5.00 is a winner :thumbsup:

Lady Carol
05-03-2015, 02:57 AM
Yeah, not wrong. I figured that even if I got one wearable outfit out of it, it was still worth it.

idylbrush
05-03-2015, 05:46 AM
Yesterday started out quiet enough. No big deal. Then, I got a call from Tiffany's that some jewelry I had taken in for repair had returned and was ready for pick up. So it was road trip time.

Did get some work in the garden done. Added a semi-automated fertilizing system to the front yard.

Makes for a busy day. Made a quick stop at the Container Store. Simple, small stuff but fun none the less.

Pleased with the garden, haven't done much this year but still seeing some good results. Have some large tomatoes about to turn red.

bluefish
05-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Carol.....always though you were strickly a Sachs 5th Ave shopper....real class!....:angel: $5 a bag full....???.....you'll WOW them on the 'main line'....:rolleyes:

Charlie's Mum
05-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Lovely pics Howard and Susan :thumbsup:

C. - what a bargain! $5 well spent - and I think for what they allow, the price should be higher as it all goes to charity!:lol::lol:

Endless rain today :(

Going across country tomorrow to celebrate step-son and DIL Silver Wedding on Tuesday - should be nice!:)

Lady Carol
05-03-2015, 08:05 AM
M, I also think they should charge more...$20 a bag is even a steal. Evidently every 4 months or so there is bubbles and bargains which is all designer clothes and you get champagne. But the clothes are $5 each rather than $5 for a bag.

Any way I am now wondering how I am going to get all the clothes I have back and am thinking about shipping some. Even still that is way cheaper to ship some. I ended up with some good Aussie high end designers and and other well known designers so I am stoked.

Blue, it is hard to be a Sachs shopper when I run a lab and live in jeans, except for conferences. Actually one outfit I got I will be wearing to a conference next month although husband thinks I look a little to hippie in it. So far he has not complained about the cost of the clothes but I think he will when we pack for the commute back.

Charlie's Mum
05-03-2015, 08:40 AM
C. How expensive would it be just to have an extra case on the plane? Just wondering if it's maybe cheaper than shipping separately?

PattiLou
05-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Eric we did a lot fishing and camping down at the dam in Englewood (The Great Miami River) and also St. Mary's. I've been on the Mad River, but it was the southern part near Dayton. In the 50's I was in Preble County, followed by Montgomery County but originally from Miami County. Yes, I agree that kids miss out on a lot in todays world. Now they even have the government tell them what to eat for lunch. What's up with that? Barefoot and carefree is the way to go. :lol: At least I didn't have someone wanting to steal my shoes... because I didn't have designer shoes! :D

What fun Carol and all for $5. Glad you are enjoying your trip.

Lady Carol
05-03-2015, 03:16 PM
We have learned to travel light and for the last 10+ years each of us have taken one medium sized bag and two carry ons, one being all our camera gear. We never worry about excess baggage as a result. So I have forgotten how much airlines allow. Might just have to get me another bag as I am allowed two checked bags.

Raymo
05-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Sweet Baboo...model the new outfits for us. Pics please......do it !

Our school was so poor all we had was an old used stripper pole for a Maypole. It also doubled for tetherball.

Fox_eNova
05-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Eric we did a lot fishing and camping down at the dam in Englewood (The Great Miami River) and also St. Mary's. I've been on the Mad River, but it was the southern part near Dayton..........Know the area well, I live just outside of Enon, in the boonies.
I didn't have designer shoes! :D
I had ONE pair of designer shoes..designed for Sunday Church, school and winter & summer play. They came with a designer can of KIWI.

LynneDe
05-03-2015, 06:53 PM
We often talked about doing a Maypole thing when I was in school, but what we actually did was put baskets of flowers on our teacher's doors, neighbor's doors, and the doors of parents and siblings. Sometimes the baskets had some little candy tidbits instead of flowers if they were meant for the guys.

After sneaking up and placing the basket on the doorknob, we would ring the bell or knock, and run as fast as we could...I don't know the reasoning why, we just did. That was our Mayday celebration. Lucky people got more than one basket...or even one basket. ;) Blessings and Happy May Day Plus 2. :)

idylbrush
05-03-2015, 08:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2015/36241-Brownies.jpeg

Made chocolate chip fudge brownies, then topped it with chocolate icing.

Was able to do a bit of work in the garden today. Planted some swiss chard seeds, watered, did a bit of weeding. Slow but steady.

Fox_eNova
05-03-2015, 09:23 PM
yummy!

idylbrush
05-05-2015, 05:23 AM
Have tomatoes on the vine. Also purchased two more plants. Got the bed weeded and watered. I need to be a bit more diligent about watering. Easy to forget when the weeds take over. I have a feeling the compost I got had a bunch of active seeds in it. Found a volunteer avocado plant in the front flower bed. That needs to be removed. I adore avocados but not in the flower bed. The tree gets to big to be in this location.

I have a showing to hang. I am just dragging my feet. It is valuable but not critical. Going to try and get it started this week.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week.

Kathrin G.
05-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone :wave:
Popping in here just reminded me how much I missed this place :heart:
Live has been busy. Work in the stud is in its peak time so pretty much worn out by the time I get home. But I did revamp my garden this spring.
Our winter was mild and wet so the weeds had run rampant and my borders had disappeared. But after some serious backbreaking work, I think it is just gorgeous now and was well worth the effort.

Before

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2015/113357-dissaster_zone.jpg

during

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2015/113357-during.jpg

and Tadaaah ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2015/113357-swallows_view.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2015/113357-archway_again.jpg

Hopefully now that the garden is well under way, I can get back to my art again.

cliff.kachinske
05-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Wow. Lot of work. Looks great.

AprilJoy
05-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Wow Kathryn! Beautiful spot!

asmith38
05-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Wow! Kathryn, maybe you could come by my yard... ;)?

Raymo
05-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Wow...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2015/142029-image.jpg ...mein Irish Fraulien is talented !

Shirl Parker
05-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Very nice renovation of the garden Kathrin. I've missed seeing you around the Cafe.

ColinS
05-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Beautiful garden Kathrin. That's a lot of work.

idylbrush
05-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Kathrin, really beautiful changes in the garden. It isn't just a clean up it is a re-design. Very nicely done. I like the addition of the obelisk trellis on the left side and the shaded entrance.

And I can barely get out to get some weeding done. These days, if it doesn't get done in the morning, chances are it won't be done until tomorrow, maybe?

May try to put up a flag and flag pole today. Got a solar light so I can let it fly day and night. Hope it will look okay. It isn't a big flagpole but more of a staff that hangs at an angle from the house. Not quite sure of the location. Have to research it a bit more.

Charlie's Mum
05-06-2015, 04:56 PM
The garden makeover looks terrific Kathrin - lots of hard work, but worth it.:)

Howard - the brownies look delicious - much too tempting!

Last night's dessert (for me) at our celebration dinner for son and d-i-l Silver Wedding anniversary was tiramasu - very tempting, very delicious, very dangerous!!!! ... I seldom eat dessert these days, certainly not after two previous courses, but my naughty inner-self betrayed me! :evil: ... I left the plate very clean:lol:
Travelling across country - across the Pennines - yesterday and today was awful - yesterday was torrential rain and major congestion on the motorways - nose to tail, so adding a l-o-n-g time onto the journey... today, the route was more pleasant, didn't want a repeat of yesterday, but the rain was still horrendous .......... so now, we're a bit tired! :lol:

G'night all :wave:

idylbrush
05-06-2015, 07:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2015/36241-DSC03246.jpeg

Found these orange shoestrings and attached Cubits to my shoes. They are a magnetic latch system. Works great.

Then for dinner I made a mushroom and 7 cheese ravioli. Oh my, it was delicious.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2015/36241-Ravioli.jpeg

Charlie's Mum
05-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Strange orange colour those laces!!!!!!!:lol:

PattiLou
05-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Strange orange colour those laces!!!!!!!:lol:
Thought my eyes were betraying me. :D

ColinS
05-07-2015, 09:45 AM
For a moment I thought it was my colour blindness. :D

Congratulations to your son & DIL, Maureen. The tiramisu sounds great.

Speaking of orange and green, my Irish cousins arrive Saturday. We are looking forward to our big gathering on the weekend. So far weather looks promising. :crossfingers:

Shirl Parker
05-07-2015, 09:48 AM
:confused: Orange??? :confused:

cliff.kachinske
05-07-2015, 10:33 AM
It's a new pigment, cadmolimeneon.

Shirl Parker
05-07-2015, 11:01 AM
I don't see orange, I see green.

cliff.kachinske
05-07-2015, 02:59 PM
I'm just being a remora on Howard's joke.

Or I'm just terribly confused.

Either is equally possible.

Rick G
05-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Hmm....I got the ones with the green laces:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2015/147850-NB-Orange.jpg

Lady Carol
05-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Orange.........green.......it's all the same colour.

bluefish
05-07-2015, 06:27 PM
no Carol...it's the same "color".....:lol: :lol: :lol:

asmith38
05-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Orange here. The ones seeing green, just give it a little time, it will mature :D.

PattiLou
05-07-2015, 08:39 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now they look like French Fries!

ColinS
05-07-2015, 09:16 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now they look like French Fries!

Shanghai noodles. Now I'm hungry.

Shirl Parker
05-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Hmmm, Howard's are still green, but Rick's are orange.

Fox_eNova
05-07-2015, 11:41 PM
French fries..!!

bluefish
05-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Onion rings?????:lol:

cliff.kachinske
05-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Baby birds. Right. Outside. my. Window.

There's an old wicker planter on our front porch and it sits next to my window. A pair of tiny brown birds built a nest in the planter and the babies have hatched. Mom and Dad are busy feeding them. Needless to say this is a huge distraction.

Can't get a decent foto because my idiot cameras focus on the window screen.

Charlie's Mum
05-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Could spend hours watching the baby chicks and parents feeding them!
Our blackies hatched only one egg this year we think - the youngster is fledged ... unless he's a very well-developed one and the others don't want to leave the nest yet!!!:lol:

Rick - you confused the issue by having orange laces/fries/onion rings :lol: :lol:

Ann - Howard's laces are definitely orangegreen - though I like Cliffs new colour!:lol:

PattiLou
05-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Had a yummy Bacon/Lettuce/Tomato/Mayo sandwich for lunch and a bowl of fresh fruit. :thumbsup:

Shirl Parker
05-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Ooh, I wish I could eat one of those.

cliff.kachinske
05-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Any oranges or limes in your fruit? :angel: :cat: :angel:

idylbrush
05-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Had a Taylor Pork Roll sandwich today with Havarti cheese and to increase the cholesteerol, I grilled the sandwhich in butter. YUM.

Making ratatouille for dinner. Will serve it with a browned cheese topping.

Crazy busy day again today. Haven't been out to the studio for a couple months now. Thinking I need to get out there and slop some paint around and see what happens.

PattiLou
05-08-2015, 07:54 PM
No oranges or limes, some good blackberries though.

BBQ Ribs for dinner. Yum.

Busy day here also and no studio time. Thought about it though... does that count?

ColinS
05-08-2015, 09:36 PM
We ordered take-away Chinese. Had a yen for Shanghai noodles after seeing Rick's boots. :D

Weather is awesome today and looks promising for the family barbecue tomorrow night. :clap: :clap:

I have to say we have been lucky this year with the weather. :angel:

idylbrush
05-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Slow cooking pulled pork today. Used a citrus marinade. Watered and fertilized today. Have some lovely tomatoes on the vines. Planted a yellow tomato plant yesterday.Hoping I can get sage started. I want to make sage butter for ravioli.

the chocolate mint is doing very well....as is the geranium. Frangipani blooming all over the yard, even with great neglect. Still hoping the pink and rainbow frangipani will bloom this year.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Charlie's Mum
05-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Colin - hope all goes well weather-wise for the BBQ - I'm sure the company will be great!:lol:

Sun's just come out after lots of rain yesterday and this morning - just been down to the greenhouse to check geraniums (pelagoniums really!) and the non-stop begonias - daren't put them out yet though, could still get frosts and it's cold at nights:(

Have a good weekend. ......... and Shirl, make a BLT sarnie as a treat!:)

Shirl Parker
05-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Still can't eat that, Maureen.

Rick G
05-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Still can't eat that, Maureen.

It's an acquired taste, Shirl. I recommend starting with just a "B" sandwich. :D

Shirl Parker
05-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Maybe you missed the toothless hag story.

Rick G
05-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Maybe you missed the toothless hag story.

Ouch. My apologies, I did miss that.

bluefish
05-09-2015, 04:25 PM
put the BLT in a blendor.....then drink....:evil: :lol:

idylbrush
05-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Had a wonderful pulled pork for dinner last night. Cooked it for 11.5 hours in a slow cooker. It almost melted as I tried to pull it out of the juices. Then a shred and a toss with Carolina gold sauce (a mustard based BBQ sauce). It was incredible.

Have been working a bit in the garden. Nothing big or extravagant but certainly enough to show a change in how the garden appears. Can't ask for more than that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2015/36241-IMG_1548.jpeg

Charlie's Mum
05-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Wish I could grow frangipanis :(

Shirl - for me, just the bacon sarnie would be delish!
For you - something to look forward to - or cook some and gum it!:lol:(sorry!;)) ....... wonder if you put the cooked bacon in the blender you'd still get a nice taste?
I'm making a salad sarnie for lunch - but that would be difficult too :( - otherwise I'd send one post-haste!:lol:

PattiLou
05-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Happy Mother's Day!!!

Fox_eNova
05-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Happy Mother's day to the ladies.

Lady Carol
05-10-2015, 05:49 PM
M you can. I have a friend that grows them in the house.

idylbrush
05-11-2015, 10:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2015/36241-BBQ.jpeg

Pork BBQ with Carolina Gold sauce

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2015/36241-tomato.jpeg

Tomatoes in the garden.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2015/36241-pear1.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2015/36241-Pear2.jpeg

These pears looked so gorgeous this morning, I could pass the opportunity. If anyone wishes to paint them. Please do, I have no reservations about using this image.

Charlie's Mum
05-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks C ... I'll try to find one!:)

Thanks Howard - are they in the RIL too?

idylbrush
05-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Pear images are now in the Reference Image Library (RIL) for ease of viewing. Keywords Pears, still life.

cem
05-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Haven't checked in here in a while. Life gets in the way all too often.
I would imagine everyone has heard of the violent weather we've been having. Good news is the lakes are filling up. The drought is not officially over but I'm thinking its close. My heart aches for those effected by the tornadoes and flooding. More rain expected the rest of the week. Praying for no more tornadoes!
Doctor appointments this week too. Diabetes doc today and then another eye injection on Friday. Oh lucky me:(
Have a wonderful day everyone!

idylbrush
05-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Had physical therapy today, surpassing my own goals. Very happy about that. 2 more sessions, then an evaluation and hopefully I can get back to the gym again.

Great time to have fresh fruit salad with Helen Corbett's poppy seed dressing. Best poopy seed dressing I have ever had.

bluefish
05-12-2015, 04:02 PM
had a great salad with poppy seed dressing recently out in Ohio.....

baby spinach with sliced strawberries and poppy seed dressing....been making it once in awhile here @ home....:thumbsup:

cliff.kachinske
05-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Eating a banana now.

Charlie's Mum
05-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Those doctor appointments do disrupt life! ... a physio appt. for D tomorrow - we're sick of visiting medics this past week ++ !!!!!
Hope all goes well cindy.:)

Another earthquake in Nepal - dreadful.:(

We only have cold wind and rain to contend with. ... counting blessings!

ColinS
05-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Wonderful looking pears and that BBQ pork looked good too.

Good luck with the doctors Cindy.

We don't eat bananas around here much. DW loathes them with a capital "L". She has never liked the taste, so I have gone without many bananas for 3 decades or so. :lol: Funny how some people have aversions to some things. Can't think of anything I really don't like to eat, except liver and some of the mouldy blue cheeses.

The Irish cousins have gone on their way up Island. It was nice to have the family together over the weekend. But it was lots of work and DW is exhausted. At least we went out for brunch on Mothers Day. :)

Fox_eNova
05-13-2015, 01:28 AM
.......... Best poopy seed dressing I have ever had.
Howard.. Poopy seed? Never tried it, not planning to.:D

Lady Carol
05-13-2015, 01:47 AM
Welcome to sunny Sydney. Got a $519 parking fine for parking in a disabled spot and we were displaying a disabled permit. Admittedly it is a foreign one but the NSW gov. says on its website that it honors all overseas permits that are valid. How rude. A polite letter contesting this is being penned right now and it will be complete with appropriate pics.

idylbrush
05-13-2015, 09:44 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2015/36241-Flag.jpeg

Installed flag and flag pole this morning, despite the heat.

Have been busy this morning. Had a storm come through last night and things got a good dowsing. Filled the rain barrel up to the rim. YAY!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2015/36241-Begonia.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2015/36241-Ginger.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2015/36241-Geranium.jpeg

PattiLou
05-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Howard your flowers look great. I was hoping for rain at home but didn't get any.

DH decided he wanted to go on a short trip to the Keys for a few days so we spent Monday morning getting organized then had lunch with friends. In the afternoon we packed and loaded the motorhome. Tuesday morning we left... hoping we hadn't forgotten anything. By the time we neared Okeechobee we had some rain but it didn't last... tried to send it north but I don't think it worked. Today we took a ride around the big lake and in the morning we will head on to the Keys.

Poor Buttons just can't seem to relax in the motorhome, :D :D :D
She wads up her towel and bed and sleeps on it that way. Silly dog!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2015/125378-165326_Buttons.jpg

idylbrush
05-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Sir Bentley Beta

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2015/36241-Beta.jpeg

Lady Carol
05-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Patti, she looks as though she is relishing the ride like that. I suspect she secretly enjoys the travel.

Charlie's Mum
05-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Fab. pic of Buttons Patti:)

Sir Bentley Beta looks pretty cool too!

C. - disgraceful treatment of visitors so hope you get the $$$ back PDQ!:)

Lovely geranium H. - the other flower pics too.

Stuff is blooming in the greenhouse but we're still getting night frosts :eek:

ColinS
05-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Welcome to sunny Sydney. Got a $519 parking fine for parking in a disabled spot and we were displaying a disabled permit. Admittedly it is a foreign one but the NSW gov. says on its website that it honors all overseas permits that are valid. How rude. A polite letter contesting this is being penned right now and it will be complete with appropriate pics.

The parking Nasties are fierce around here too. They wait like vultures for the parking time to expire so they can pounce with a ticket. They once gave us a parking ticket at the very moment we were at the kiosk buying time. Not impressed.

Fox_eNova
05-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Nice and interesting photos.
Howard, old glory looks great!:thumbsup: Thank you from a Vet. Let me know how the night light works. I may want to do that also.

PattiLou
05-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Patti, she looks as though she is relishing the ride like that. I suspect she secretly enjoys the travel.
She is a good little traveler. Other than the first time we took her in the motorhome after she adopted us, she has been great. The first time she shook until she got used to the rumble and movement. Now she just looks for her bed and curls up in it... after wadding it up and pouncing in like a cat, lol. If we stop she is at the door waiting to go out for a walk... new smells ya know. Her little short legs really have to stretch to get up and down the steps but she manages.

That is a pricey ticket you got for a souvenir Carol. :eek:

idylbrush
05-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Picked up dragon fruit plant today. Much to my surprise, it is a cactus with an edible fruit. I am told, one established, it is a wild grower. Hope it does well, I really like dragon fruit.

Shirl Parker
05-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Howard, don't you take a risk burning your tongue?

idylbrush
05-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Naw, it's a gentle dragon fruit.

Aligator
05-15-2015, 01:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2015/985441-102_2496.JPG

Don't know what the rules are here but enjoy reading post. Going to make a lot of BTL sandwich in a month or so. 7 Tomato, 3 Basil, (for Pesto) 1 Eggplant. Have to go easy on the water.

idylbrush
05-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Eric, solar light is working, not brilliant but there is light. I will check it tonight to see how it looks. Doesn't help that the eaves overhang the solar panel. We'll see.

Had a good drenching rain last night. Much needed.

Gator, can you use rain barrel water or recycled water from the kitchen. There is a big push here to recycle water from the bath or kitchen sink for plants.

cliff.kachinske
05-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Okay, shamed me into it. Closing the shop so I can go get the veggie patch ready to feed the deer later this summer.

Aligator
05-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Idylbrush, Yes we do all we can, goal for my area is to reduce water use by 28 per cent. My wife has about 35 potted plants, inside and out, two years ago she switch all to succulents and cactus. We water just enough to keep old landscape plants alive. We depend on our water from the snow melt in the Sierra Mountains who knows next year we could get enough snow melt to fill all our reservoirs.

Charlie's Mum
05-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Hi Joe - welcome to the QDC!

No rules - we natter about anything and everything and Howard keeps us alive with calorie-free goodies!!!!!!;)

Had some pics in the paper earlier this week about your State and the drought - the pics were of 'celebrities' homes' , all lush and green with full swimming pools - seems like the shortage doesn't apply to them!:rolleyes:

Could send some rain from here - after a lovely morning and early afternoon, the wind got up to gale force and the heavens shed their load of water! .... the garden paths were flooded - now it's drained in:)

Aligator
05-15-2015, 05:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2015/985441-102_2456.JPG I been in the rain in England ( U.S. Air Force days) and loved it. Local paper talks about the shortage on one page and a developer wants to build a 200 unit apartment complex on another page. This is a picture of some other goodies, homemade Limoncello that I make.

ColinS
05-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Yumm. Love limoncello. Had lots of it in Sorrento area of Italy. Everyone seems to make their own.

Went to the U2 concert in Vancouver last night. It was very good, and Nan got us fantastic seats near the secondary stage, directly overlooking the exit where Bono & crew departed after the final song (Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For). One of the band members, The Edge, fell off the edge of the stage at the end of the concert, :eek: but he seemed ok and walked out. Sunday Bloody Sunday was very well done with the Irish tricolour done in lights and a snare drum for percussion. They're playing Vancouver again tonight and then off to California, where they won't get any water. ;)

One of my visiting cousins,was a teacher at the Dublin area high school where they were all students but has no memory of Bono as a teenager, so doesn't think he was in her French class.

idylbrush
05-16-2015, 06:37 AM
I have made my own limoncello for a couple years. Love the stuff. I drink so rarely anymore I just haven't made it recently.

Had corned beef hash last night. It was amazing. Have to make more poppy seed dressing. Going through that rather rapidly.

Sir Bentley beta seems to have become well established in his new home. His fins are well splayed, and the color seems to be improving daily. He is a rather voracious eater. Looking at a larger home for him, especially one with an LED light on top.

Yesterday was a good mail day. I received my spire unit, and also my Apple watch. Both seem to be working very well and I am very impressed. Took a bit of time to get the Apple watch around to where I wanted it. It is very intuitive and therefore the instructions are rather thin. I'll get it! Technically it is a marvelous invention. I really enjoy some of the watch faces. Especially the one with the toetapping Mickey Mouse. Will be experimenting with some of the different styles available over the next week or so.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2015/36241-Spire.jpeg

Spire stone

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2015/36241-Watch.jpeg

Apple watch

Lady Carol
05-16-2015, 07:23 AM
Back right side up again. Now I just have to get over this 14 hour jet lag which is harder to do going east than going the other way. I got home to a garden that has sprung into life over the 4 weeks, complete with weeds. It's like "poof" and there it is, just like magic. Admittedly, I did manage to sling down some fertilizer before I left, so I probably should not have been that surprised by it.

Toby has been very clingy and yowled constantly for 30+ mins...where the hell have you been? You went away for 4 weeks and left us only the neighbors to look after us. He is usually a cat that starts the night on the bed but by about 5 goes to the windows. Not these last two mornings he has been on the bed when I have woken up. Of course he got plenty of fuss. Nigel visits in the middle of the night and squeaks at me. It is nice to know that I was missed.

Off to see Maddie later and go for a ride. I know I am going to be so out of condition.

Charlie's Mum
05-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Yumm. Love limoncello. Had lots of it in Sorrento area of Italy.
Me too! Luverly jubberly :lol:

Howard - didn't realise you had a choice of faces to change whenever you please - I thought from the adds they were different watches! Cool!:)

Welcome home C. - didn't the cats miss DH too? - or do they just appreciate you for feeding 'em?:lol:

Back to winter here - cold, strong winds ... the Jet Stream is to blame, it's bringing all the arctic cold here - shiver!!!!

PattiLou
05-16-2015, 08:47 AM
Here is a Florida Keys sunset to warm you up Maureen. Not real colorful but still pretty.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2015/125378-IMG_0869w_FL_MarathonKey_Sunset.jpg

Visited Key West yesterday. What a disapointment. Too crowed, too much traffic and too many bicycles turning in front of you (no signal) and riding down the center line. The highlight of the day was this little critter that we found while driving. There must have been 10 or 12 sunning alongside the road.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2015/125378-Capture.JPG

Headed back towards home today. The refrigerator gave out again and I am not repairing it anymore so a new one will have to be in the budget. DH might have a different opinion but we will see! :D

ColinS
05-16-2015, 10:08 AM
Me too! Luverly jubberly :lol:

Well there's a new word! :lol:

Welcome back Carol. I'm sure Maddie missed you. We always get a lot more jet lag coming home than starting our holiday, and we have always gone in the opposite direction to you. I always put it down to the "end-of -holiday blues". :)

Howard I will be curious to see what you think of the Apple watch after you've had it for a while. Reviews seem mixed overall, but it does seem pretty cool. Perhaps people have become a bit jaded and expect too much.

Great photos Patti. Love the lizard.

Shirl Parker
05-16-2015, 10:34 AM
I think probably a lot of those who have one now have not figured out all the cool things it does - watch illiterate so to speak.

Charlie's Mum
05-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Shirl, did you buy one too?:)

Thanks for the sunset Patti, very dramatic! Love the little fella too.

idylbrush
05-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Sir Bentley Betta III decided his name was much to grand for his abode so he insisted on better quarters, something with light. So off the pet supply and $50.00 later....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2015/36241-Bettatank.jpeg

Welcome home Carol. Good to hear you had a good time. Gardens tend to do that when you ignore them. Someone needs to make a self cleaning garden.

Shirl Parker
05-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Shirl, did you buy one too?:)

Not yet, but I can feel it tugging away at my purse strings :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
05-16-2015, 03:58 PM
H. - when will Sir Bentley be introduced to his new abode?

Shirl - now why doesn't that surprise me huh? :lol:

idylbrush
05-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Just transferred him a few minutes ago. He is happy. Eating already. So all is good in his world.

Lady Carol
05-17-2015, 06:04 AM
What a cool fish Howard.

Up at 5:45 this morning, got about 4 hours sleep.....I love jet lag.

Been catching up on all the shows that we recorded while away when I have been bug eyed.

Been processing photographs and loading the very best ones on my site. I have a ways to go before I am finished. I belong to a camera club and have to decide which pic I submit for next months meeting. I may ask some advice around here when I narrow the field.

idylbrush
05-17-2015, 02:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2015/36241-ravioli1.jpeg

Home made cheese and mushroom ravioli's, just in time for dinner. YUM!

Aligator
05-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Love them. With parents form Italy I think pasta was the first solid food I ate as a baby.

susme48
05-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Not much going on here. Lots of rain...gloomy days. Reading lots of books (sometimes 2 a day), smoking too much, and just letting the days slide by.

Y'all make me so hungry with the food talk...:lol: It's sandwich night tonight...sigh...hot dogs I think. Rather blah...but oh well. Finished the pineapple cobbler I made, last night...so not sure what my "midnight" snack will be.

Hugs to all!

Aligator
05-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Susan if you had some of my Coney Island topping for your hot dog they would be great. Making stuffed green peppers here.

Fox_eNova
05-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Aye, Coney Dog with cheese and Fresh Onions..Gourmet fast food!

ColinS
05-18-2015, 10:38 AM
We had hot dogs done on the grill on Friday. :D

It's Victoria Day here so we get a public holiday to celebrate old Queen V. :thumbsup: I will take any excuse for a holiday. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
05-18-2015, 12:41 PM
We don't have a Victoria Day - or an Elizabeth Day, or an Anne Day, or a Mary Day - or even any for the kings!!!!!!!!!!:lol: - if we did, we could have lots and lots of holidays :smug: :lol:

OK, all this food talk - it's time for dinner here and we're having Chicken Provencal (can't add the accent, sorry!) ..... with, perhaps, a Creme Caramel to follow.

Hows about that then eh? :lol:

bluefish
05-18-2015, 05:08 PM
even without the 'accent' that chicken beats hot dogs, by a mile, in my book!:clap:

idylbrush
05-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Gee, and all I have is more ravioli and some kielbasa.

Four appointments tomorrow. I will be running all day. Starts at 8:30 and ends around 4:30, maybe.

Fox_eNova
05-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Tonight it is my famous "back burner" pork roast, potatoes, carrots and Onions. Since I used to do most all of the cooking I had to give my wife the recipe for the au jus. Just hope I can trust her with it. :lol:

Lady Carol
05-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Just got me a Philips Air-fryer.

bluefish
05-18-2015, 09:25 PM
it frys 'air' ?.....how unique....and low in calories....:thumbsup:

Fox_eNova
05-19-2015, 02:17 AM
:D :D :thumbsup: good one Blue

chammi kaiser
05-19-2015, 03:47 AM
Haven't been around for a while and have enjoyed catching up on all your news. You chaps really are a bunch of food addicts. My mouth is watering. Might as well join the club and I am off to the kitchen to rustle up a Chicken Provencal (without the accent . My keyboard doesn't oblige) Thanks Maureen. You have inspired me. :thumbsup:

Blue......:lol:

Eric - hop the Jus was a success!!!

Charlie's Mum
05-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Just got me a Philips Air-fryer.

We tried one of those a couple of years ago - got on the guarantee it could go back within 60 days if not satisfied ....... it went back!:lol:
Maybe you'll have more luck C.:)

Chammi - tonight, I'm afraid, it's just mince/onion pie and pots.!:lol: ... with gravy - never was posh enough to make a jus ;);)

idylbrush
05-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Tonight a cheese, chicke, and mushroom frittata. Simple but good nutrition.

Went on a shopping binge. Got 4 new pairs of shorts, 2 shirts. Stopped at the kitchen shop and got a ravioli stamp, green tea with citrus and a pineapple cutter.

In the garden today, noticed the banana has a flower and a few pieces of fruit, yay!

Lady Carol
05-19-2015, 06:50 PM
We tried one of those a couple of years ago - got on the guarantee it could go back within 60 days if not satisfied ....... it went back!:lol:
Maybe you'll have more luck C. ;)
Maybe they are better now. My sister convinced me to get one. My Dad also owns one which came as a bit of a shock when I found that one out.

Lady Carol
05-19-2015, 07:10 PM
it frys 'air' ?.....how unique....and low in calories....:thumbsup:
...and very yummy.

Aligator
05-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Going to make some Gravlax(my version) Wed., here is a photo of some I made a
while back..http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2015/985441-102_2412.JPG

Fox_eNova
05-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Fish & Chips today, frozen, right out of the box in the skillet. Not bad.

Got my new wheels today, A KDSmartChair, (http://kdsmartchair.com/) this sucker is FAST!
Joystick steering will take me a while to get use to. SO today it's been play time with the new HARLEY.
So far, I am getting real skilled at banging into furniture, walls & doors. But It is faster then my walker...:)

idylbrush
05-20-2015, 08:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2015/36241-dragonfruit.jpeg

Dragonfruit plant

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2015/36241-SirBentleynew_home.jpeg

Sir Bentley's new home. It is a palace.

Made all appointments yesterday. It was a full and exhausting day overall. Resting today. Did do some watering.

asmith38
05-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Patti,
just think, we are in off-season now. During season, Winter, it is a lot more crowded.
I'm to the point where I don't go to KW for months, and only when I have to. I usually come back with a headache.

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Joe - being ignorant, is that smoked salmon?:lol:

Eric - smart wheels! Hope it can even get you out of the house soon:)

H. Sir Bentley needs a girlfriend ;)

Actually got some gardening done today - plants out of the greenhouse to harden off before planting ...... snails have munched on my Morning Glory babies and I only have two still with leaves - wondering if they'll come again from the base:(

Lady Carol
05-20-2015, 04:42 PM
...... snails have munched on my Morning Glory babies and I only have two still with leaves - wondering if they'll come again from the base:(
Better than having deer come and polish off the hostas. They don't re-leaf until the next year.

Aligator
05-20-2015, 05:35 PM
No not smoked(there are different versions) mine is 1 pound fresh salmon cut in to equal pieces., 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3Tsp Kosher salt, 1Tsp black pepper, bunch fresh dill, it cures for 3 1/2 days, slice and eat. I can give instruction how to put together if anyone is interested. Best on bagels, cream cheese or slice cucumber and cream cheese and of course topped with some capers.

PattiLou
05-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Patti,
just think, we are in off-season now. During season, Winter, it is a lot more crowded.
I'm to the point where I don't go to KW for months, and only when I have to. I usually come back with a headache.
Ann, my problem is I liked Key West the way it used to be, "a quaint little town". :lol: I like other things the way they used to be too, but it doesn't do me any good. :D

So today we took measurements and went shopping for a refrigerator that would fit the spot (small) in the motorhome. Have one ordered. Now have to wait for the delivery and then for the repair place to install it. After looking at all those refrigerators, some of which you need a degree to operate, and most gigantic, I hope the one in our house doesn't go out. I'm not sure I could find one to fit that I could operate. :eek:

cliff.kachinske
05-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Better than having deer come and polish off the hostas. They don't re-leaf until the next year.

Happens at my house. Also quarter size hail does a job on them. Looks like they were hit by shrapnel.

chammi kaiser
05-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Just bought some Graved Lachs which we will have with Rösti (crispy potato cakes) . There will also be apple puree, gorgonzola cheese both of which together with the Salmon are eaten with these crispy fried potato cakes. Delicious !!!

Sir Bentley needs a Harem!!!

Maureen, I so enjoy the beauty of Morning Glory trumpets. They are so unique in colouring and shape. In South Africa , they were a real pest and were taking over huge areas of indigenous plants. The conservation people were unable to combat them. Unfortunately they had no natural enemies and thrived on the climatic conditions. Scary!!

We are having an unbelievable volume of rain and the little mini rivers around our area are bursting their banks. Hopefully, things will change in a day or two and the sun will shine.

idylbrush
05-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Made it to the gym this morning,YAY!

Stopped at the new farm market and picked up cherries, raspberries, kiwi, pineapple, nectarines, and bananas.

Picked up some plastic plates for painting. they make a great circle template. now to get handles on them. Need to look around the studio to see what I can find.

ColinS
05-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Speaking of wildlife and pests, #2 Son found an injured feral rabbit on the road near our house yesterday evening. Poor little thing must have been struck by a car. Tried to hop away from us, but clearly it had a problem with its hind leg(s). We took it to an animal hospital but their prognosis was that it wasn't likely to be mended. Kind of a sad thing.

So many people dropped off their pet rabbits at the hospital and university grounds that the university had to do a massive cull a few years back. I guess this one's parents escaped that.

We have a type of 'morning glory' around here that we call 'bindweed' that is a real pest in our garden. Constant hauling up roots that seem to be everywhere. Nice white trumpet flowers, but a real smothering pest.

Howard your shopping sounds delicious. I stopped at the market this morning on the way to work and picked up some chocolate cherry shortbread, raspberry & strawberry tarts, lemon tarts and a cranberry Wensleydale cheese. I love fruit season. ;)

Irish cousins are gone. They had good weather for their 2 weeks on the coast of BC, and got all the way up to Tofino for a couple of nights. Their overall impression of Vancouver Island was "There's sure a lot of big fat trees everywhere". In Ireland 3 trees makes a forest. :D They were disappointed not to have seen a bear. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
05-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Colin - one of the things we noticed especially on the N.Am. continent was the size of the trees! Massive!

Bindweed here is a real menace too!:)

PattiLou
05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Stopped at the new farm market and picked up cherries, raspberries, kiwi, pineapple, nectarines, and bananas.

My kind of shopping! Sounds delicious and I love fruit. :lol:

I never thought of Bindweed as a morning glory... just a weed. I like the purple or pink Morning Glory. A friend and neighbor has a large pot full of them growing on a trellis. They are delightful.

I think I will have to break down and water some plants. It is still very dry here.

idylbrush
05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Two new tools made from plastic camping plates and handles.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2015/36241-tools.jpeg

Crock o' fruit

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2015/36241-redfruit.jpeg

Lady Carol
05-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Happens at my house. Also quarter size hail does a job on them. Looks like they were hit by shrapnel.
Don't ya hate that? Just when they leaf out and look terrific - poof, taken out by something.

asmith38
05-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Ann, my problem is I liked Key West the way it used to be, "a quaint little town". :lol: I like other things the way they used to be too, but it doesn't do me any good. :D

Me too, me too :thumbsup: !

idylbrush
05-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Got a mini hand pie press. Made apple filling last night. Looking forward to hand pies. Meat, fruit, italian, you name it.

Watered the garden today. Tomatoes are doing quite well. Did a bit of kelp fertilizing. Want to see if it improves the growth and strength of the plants.

idylbrush
05-23-2015, 10:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2015/36241-bread.jpeg
Bread made yesterday.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2015/36241-tomatoes.jpeg

Still warm from the garden.

idylbrush
05-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Can't seem to stay out of the kitchen. Made pie dough today. Had pocket pies for lunch. Then made a apple pie.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2015/36241-ApplePie.jpeg

asmith38
05-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Just stopped by quickly to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day :)

Fox_eNova
05-25-2015, 04:13 PM
On this Memorial Day please join me in taking time to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for our freedoms.

To all our Vets, THANK YOU for your Service.

Take time to remember the men and women who never came home.

If you've lost a loved one or friend in the defense of our country, please accept my sincere condolences.

We'll never forget the sacrifice they made for the freedoms we cherish.

And with thoughts toward the men and women currently serving in our armed forces, please join me in praying for their wisdom, discernment, and safety, as many of them find themselves in dangerous situations today.

PattiLou
05-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Ditto what Eric said. Thank you to all the past and present for your service.

PattiLou
05-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Howard you make me hungry and I shouldn't be hungry.
We went Jeepin' with daughter and SIL in the Withlacoochee Forest and stopped for a picnic.
The dust covered black Jeep is ours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2015/125378-Jeepin.jpg

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2015, 12:54 PM
The dust covered black Jeep is ours.
Lol at that Patti! ....... D. has been removing all the bird muck from our car .. in Yorkshire our parking place has the most beautiful birch tree next to it - ideal for the bids to sit and sing and ........ :lol:

Been very quiet in the Cafe for the last day or two? .... no-one partaking of Howard's refreshments? .... I'd really love the jar of berries!:)

Aligator
05-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Plein Air first time next week.

Got an early Father's Day present from my wife, a Large Field Box Easel. Next week we are going to Reno and Carson City Nv. for a long week-end. This will be my first time trying Plein Air. I told the family to drop me off with "my stuff", coffee and a sandwich and I will tell them when to come and get me. Now of course I can't paint at night so we will see how the slots treat me.

idylbrush
05-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Apple Watch is very nice. Does quite a few wonderful things and as with anything technical, a learning curve, I am getting there. Down to the nuances now.

Got fruit at the market today, have jam maker arriving tomorrow. Cherry preserves and strawberry rhubarb jam on the burner.

Ratatouille for dinner with kielbasa and cheese. YUM!

First corn of the year. Looks very good.

idylbrush
05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Dinner...Ratatouille with kielbasa and cheese

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2015/36241-Ratatouille.jpeg

Sweet after dinner...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2015/36241-fruit.jpeg

noodle1
05-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone......I'm back..haha and thrilled to death after a year of trying.Lori gave me her tablet, computer still not working. Be prepared for lots of spelling errors..haha. Been an interesting year. Brief rundown, last year ended up in hospital they said I had pneumonia,didn't but that didn,t stop them from giving antibiotics which in turn gave me cdef (spelling?) They ended up putting me in a comma n telling hubby I had 2 hours to live what did he want to do. Glad he wasn't mad at me at the time haha so they took out my large intestine. Meanwhile Larry stayed with me all the time and it was brutal cold heat went out in the house and the pipes broke in the walls,lost the house and left for my son's in Texas. Lived with him then moved in with Lori in Bee Cave til we found Greune Texas that,'s where I am now. Lovely place, old German town, ghost town that has become a major tourist attraction. Little shops very artsy. ..:D Absolutely love it here,diaylsisis 5mins away,I go 3 days a week,enough said about that ugh..haha Anyway I'm alive and determined to be normal again, tho I haven't had much luck with that in the past LOL still a goal. Thank you for all the cards and letters kept me going. Love you guys so much and have ached with missing you. Once I fully figure out this tableting I'll try uploading some pictures meanwhile I'll do what I do best..yak Going to do some PM's, read,view and just delight in being home! Time for some pie Blue..what'd think.hahaha I'll be back. Hugs Elane

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Thank you dear God for sending our Noodles back to us!:D

Don't know where this strange username comes from though!

So very pleased to 'hear' the yakking again - have missed you so very much ....... don't you dare leave us again!!!!!

When you've figured out the tablet, send me the new address via PM - both real one and email - might even rejuvenate mmmeeeeee :lol:

Seriously Elaine, so pleased and grateful to Lori, for you being back in touch, despite all the trials and tribulation you faced, and still face!

Luvs ya girly!:)

PattiLou
05-28-2015, 03:14 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: Elaine :heart: :heart: :heart: I'm so glad to hear you chatting again! What a trial you had and I am glad hubby wasn't mad at you too. :lol:

Those little German towns in Texas are very nice aren't they? We have been to several and found them interesting. Nice that you found a place you like and have family in the area.

Don't stay away, we miss you terribly, although I wasn't sure it was really you when I read the user name. :D

Lady Carol
05-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Hey Elaine......welcome back.

Admin can sort out the user name issue for you so you would be back to noodles if you would like that. Let me know if that is what you want to do.

idylbrush
05-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Yay! Elaine is back. Welcome home Noodles!

bluefish
05-28-2015, 07:25 PM
It's so nice having a big slab of pie with you and listening to you yak away.....miss haha!......:clap:

brings back a lot of fond memories.....welcome HOME!:thumbsup:

'blue....:wave:

Violetta
05-28-2015, 07:49 PM
:clap: :clap: yay! Elaine is back online and in the Cafe! So good to "hear" your voice again, dear one. So sorry for all you have gone through but delighted you are here and healing! :heart: :heart: :heart:

bluefish
05-28-2015, 08:13 PM
It's so nice having a big slab of pie with you and listening to you yak away.....miss haha!......:clap:

brings back a lot of fond memories.....welcome HOME!:thumbsup:

'blue....:wave:

Fox_eNova
05-28-2015, 11:00 PM
Good to see ya back Elaine! From your posting, you sound chipper,
on the mend and on the upside of what must have been a real harrowing experience. Greune, Texas sound like a unique and fun little town. Glad to hear you are happy and seem content living there.
Welcome Back!

ColinS
05-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Welcome back, Elaine! :wave: Can't believe what you've been through. :eek: Hope to "see" more of you. :)

justjean
05-29-2015, 06:17 AM
Elaine, good to see you back :heart: :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

idylbrush
05-29-2015, 09:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2015/36241-Jam.jpeg
This mornings effort. Strawberry Rhubarb jam.

noodle1
05-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Morning all wrote looong reply and couldn't get back in lost it anyway Yorky at Maureen's request gave me a real welcome back...thank you soo much. Thank you all to:heart: Patti ,Carol,Judy,Blue,Howard,Foxinova,Colin,Jean you are all so wonderful thank you. Howard I'll take a case of those. Teehee. Got to eat breakfast then clean out my oooold PMs but I shall return. Anybody know how Raymo is doing? Hugs all round

Charlie's Mum
05-29-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm sure Raymo will pop in now you're back - think he's missed you too!!!!!!!

Blue missed you so much he double-posted!:lol:

Yukky weather today - heavy, squally showers between patches of blue ...... windy!Ugh.

Shirl Parker
05-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Welcome back to the Web Elaine.The rain that just went through there this morning is about to strike here. Won't be anything like what they saw further north, I don't think anyway. It's just gotten so dark in here, I can't see my keyboard.

noodle1
05-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Shirl so happy to see you,lost your phone number and I got a landline would you pm me and I'll give you my new email Addy and address. Sorry for the gloomy day it' s gorgeous here today first time in awhile. Love you. Have to go take care of right foot long story but it won't heal so 'm getting vaccum put on, one more tube but I want to walk,Larry wants that too, he's sick of pushing me...:evil: poor baby haha

Hugs all round see ya later.

idylbrush
05-29-2015, 11:44 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2015/36241-mixedberryjam.jpeg

Back in the kitchen again.
Mixed berry jam. Blackberry,Blueberry and Raspberry
Delicious

Aligator
05-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Too bad I am not closer, I get over 400 Pomegranates on my
tree each year. I give some to a fellow in town who them gives me jars of Jelly.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2015/985441-102_2200.JPG

Charlie's Mum
05-29-2015, 03:23 PM
So that's what a pomegranate tree looks like!:) :thumbsup: :)

After the severe chop to my apple tree last year and hoping it wouldn't die, it's produced a couple of flowers!!!!!! Might even get two apples (it used to produce many pounds of them before disease got to it:().

ColinS
05-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Sounds like you have been thru the wringer, Elaine. Larry will just have to get used to pushing you around. :D

Howard you are a machine. How do you do all that canning? I am lucky if I can open a jar of jam, let alone make one. I had to give up on the almond butter jar the other day -- it would not open for me. I must be getting feeble. One of my sons must have got it open as it was half empty this morning. :lol:

We have a few peaches coming on our new peach tree. :thumbsup: The weather this year has been good so far -- dry and warm. Record breaking dry spell in Vancouver for the month of May, according to the CBC radio this morning, and it must be the same on the Island. I think all our rain is going to Texas. Sorry guys. ;)

idylbrush
05-29-2015, 05:46 PM
I have a pomegranate growing in the yard but it isn't growing well and certainly has never born fruit. I keep hoping.

Want to try crabapple jelly at some point.

Aligator
05-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Howard it sound like you know a lot about gardens and stuff. My tree is about 20 years old, I still feed it a bag of 8-12-12 each year and the fig tree next to it gets to share.

PattiLou
05-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Yummy looking jams Howard. I miss making them.

That pomegranate tree/bush is pretty. I didn't know that is what they looked like either... I like the blossoms.

Went to graduation last night. My grandson is not a baby anymore!!! :lol:

noodle1
05-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Congrats to your grandson Patti. I have two left, Devon just got his permit, he and Jordan are coming in June, Jessie too I hope,nope not babies anymore even with sometime Togo. Jess has been living in the city, she graduated from MUD and has worked already on some movies,kid's talented. Wish your grandson a fine future, does he want go to college? Sometimes I think it's hard to know right out of highschool. Give him my congratulatios to mom and dad too.
Just got home with my vacuum they put the tube on the outside of my pants leg won't fit over battery wondering if I can disconnect it or it' s a couple of weeks in the same pants.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hugs all round.

Lady Carol
05-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Yeah...noodles is 100% back :clap:

bluefish
05-29-2015, 10:22 PM
A couple of weeks in the same pants?...glad you are in Texas...:D

noodle1
05-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Ah Blue right in stride. Just for you I'll mail them to you LOL

Hugs

idylbrush
05-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Cut up a red papaya for fruit salad. Mixed with blueberries, and raspberries. Thinking about a cherry jam. Have the cherries, so why not. I would say the mixed berry jam is a hit. Gelled nicely and is quite flavorful.

Weather has been clear with climbing temperatures. I go out early in the morning to do any gardening. By 8:30 I have to be done.

noodle1
05-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Morning everyone. Hi Howard sure wish I had your energy course wouldn't mind some of the multitude of talent either.

Yesterday at the wound center this very nice male nurse that was getting me started chatting,asked me what I did so I said I was an artist. Then the conversation turned to fishing,which I love. Doc comes in and joins in the conversation,I had given him a painting, so when the male nurse asked him if he knew I was an artist Doctor Smedley goes into praising mode. I turned red but the end was the male nurse asks me to paint for him saying he'll pay me. However the subject matter not so much in my thinking up my alley, but dang I'm going to give it a go. Felt so nice to be complimented,kind of rejuvenated me. The subject is a Mahi Mahi fish :eek: This should be interesting. I've eaten them before but never painted them hahaha

Beautiful today but I have dialysis so can't plain much maybe ride around n take some pictures. Either way it's a good day wish I hadn't left my fishing pole at Lori's,sit on the bank of the river and just relax have to remember to ask her to bring it. My kids are an hour away but I'm planning a barb-b-que. haha I love to cook too. Have a great day everyone.

Hugs all round

ColinS
05-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Elaine congratulations on the commission. I don't even have a clue what mahi mahi looks like when not sitting between a potato galette and a baby carrots. Your barbecue sounds like fun. We are having friends over for a barbecue today too. I love this time of year. Just hope the wind doesn't come up when we want to sit outdoors. It's a very "fresh" day so far.

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Wouldn't know a mahi mahi fish if I saw one!:lol:
Here, we have white, deep sea fish for preference - cod, haddock, Dover sole and plaice ....... not being a big fish-eater, I'll stick with those!:lol:

We're still having awful winds - spent a couple of hours gardening but felt chewed to bits by the strong, cold wind ...... just want some nice Spring weather before summer starts!:lol:

ColinS
05-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't know a mahi mahi fish if I saw one!:lol:
Here, we have white, deep sea fish for preference - cod, haddock, Dover sole and plaice ....... not being a big fish-eater, I'll stick with those!:lol:
:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2015/1183569-image.jpg
Your Plaice or Mine? - James Christensen

Our white fish of choice is fresh local halibut which is in season right now. Mmmm. But terribly pricey. I love fish & seafood and its accessibility is one of the benefits of living on an island. We ate no fish other than Captain Highliner frozen fish sticks when I was growing up in Toronto. Didn't even have fish & chips shops til we moved west. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Colin - you probably remember fish and chip shops here, being so close to the coast ..... most now have become pizza and kebab shops :(:( ..... 'but down at the coast we still have Colman's Fish restaurant in Ocean Rd - been there for donkey's years and still very popular .... and another on the beach front.

Love that illustration!:)

noodle1
05-30-2015, 03:30 PM
If I could figure out how to upload a pix I would. They are part of the dolphin family, all different kinds, different colored, small mouth and heads, long humplike bodies,not so pretty but their areas of color are cool. The one I think I'll try is like turq more towards like a colbatbish (some artist huh haha) this is top color that blends into bright yellow, under belly usually white. Some reddish blotches from head to mid section scattered.

I'm a crab,lobster,shrimp kind of gal myself but I do like cod mild fish but I have to say the MahiMahi I've eaten is pretty impressive, or was that cause I was eating it in Hawaii :lol: :lol:

Maureen sorry bout the wind, got gray here didn't think is was suppose rain today but looks like it,dang hot tho and humid. Not ever really cold here, sorry spring
is taking it's time to show up. Nice culpa tea and a good book, unless of course you are in the mood to paint. I am but not enough time before I have to leave,maybe tomorrow.

Thanks Colin first in along time. See ya all later, enjoy your day.

Hugs all round

PattiLou
05-30-2015, 03:52 PM
First time we had MahiMahi was also in Hawaii. May not be real pretty but the taste is awsome when grilled. :thumbsup: Of course having in Hawaii didn't hurt! :lol:

Before Colin asks... how long is a donkey's year? :D :D :D

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Noods - are you using an ipad or an android tablet - like Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?

Save images to the Gallery on the tablet and follow the normal procedure at WC, to choose your file go to your Gallery on the tablet.
You will need to make sure the file size is right (800p max) and a jpeg.

With ipads, for some insane reason only one image per 24 hours can be uploaded - any more and they supplant the previous ones.

Did you add any drawing apps to the tablet? ... or ebooks? .. good way to pass the time in dialysis if you can hold with one hand and draw with the other!:)

idylbrush
05-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Made cherry jam today. It is amazing.

Watered and did some weeding in the garden.
Noodles, so good to have you back.

Aligator
05-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Noodles you don't know me but if your 60 north of NYC we probably beat you school in football, Ha Ha , I am from Schenectady.

noodle1
05-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Hi nice to meet you. Um don't think so I went to Mt. St.Mary's Academy, no boys there.But I do recall being the upstate champions in basketball. :wink2: all girl team then too. Guess that's why I'm not a real fan of that sport, have no clue about the sport at all:crying:

Sounds like you do tho. Have a good evening will chat with you again.
Hugs

noodle1
05-31-2015, 12:44 PM
Dang just lost a post, anyway thank you Maureen I kind of did that but it wouldn't let me continue, perhaps I should look into a drawing app. It's a learning curve and I'm willing but I sure do miss my Mac...haha

Hugs
Elaine

ColinS
05-31-2015, 03:09 PM
First time we had MahiMahi was also in Hawaii. May not be real pretty but the taste is awsome when grilled. :thumbsup: Of course having in Hawaii didn't hurt! :lol:

Before Colin asks... how long is a donkey's year? :D :D :D

Nan uses that expression as well, and must have picked it up from her family. Her family on one side was originally from Northeast England (Thornton). When she uses it, it means "from time immemorial" or "ages and forever". Donkeys have longer lifespans than horses or other domestic animals, so I suspect that their relative longevity may have given rise to the expression.

Apart from DW, Maureen is the only other person I know who uses that term and our friends look at Nan quizzically when she uses it. :lol:

Elaine my iPad sometimes freezes when I backspace. I find it annoying to lose what I have written. I can recover text if I have saved it in preview. So I will do that when working on a long post on the iPad.

The one image per 24 hours from the iPad is a very annoying limitation.

Dcam
05-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Elaine: praying for your complete and strong recovery. Oh boy, what an experience. The drummer in our band went to the local hospital for some heart issues and an operation which left him with MRSA. Seems they botched something and the poor guy has diabetes and this makes it very hard to beat the mrsa.
Thinking of you Elaine.

derek:wave:

Charlie's Mum
05-31-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks for answering Patti Colin - never even think that others might not know that expression!!!!:lol: ... think it was originally 'donkeys' ears' - (also being long) but I only know it as 'years' ....... can see how it might have become corrupted!:lol:

Another expression we use, but not sure you do across the pond, is 'bulls' lugs' - meaning tough ... 'that steak is tough as bulls' lugs'!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Still ferocious winds her and continuing, apparently, for the next couple of days :(

PS - there's a new thread to 'share your workspace' - might like to show us your studio set-up eh?:)

Aligator
05-31-2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks for answering Patti Colin - never even think that others might not know that expression!!!!:lol: ... think it was originally 'donkeys' ears' - (also being long) but I only know it as 'years' ....... can see how it might have become corrupted!:lol:

Another expression we use, but not sure you do across the pond, is 'bulls' lugs' - meaning tough ... 'that steak is tough as bulls' lugs'!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Still ferocious winds her and continuing, apparently, for the next couple of days :(

PS - there's a new thread to 'share your workspace' - might like to show us your studio set-up eh?:)

I had to smile when I read this post. I am reading a crime novel by an author from Northern Ireland(Brian McGilloway) and have to keep my smart phone nearby to look up the different expressions.

Charlie's Mum
05-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Ah! I'd probably need refs too Joe!!:lol:

noodle1
05-31-2015, 05:16 PM
I haven't a clue most of the time with different phrases but must admit eventually I at least can make some connection. Now the Aussi lingo is another story.

Sorry it's still so windy Maureen, I use to worry back home about my tree by the side porch, called him my old man,he was a massive pine.

Thank you Derek I AM going to be fine. I get some of the doctors annoyed when they are pushing something I want no part in, I just tell em, for me it's Quality not Quantity. Haha
They do not like how that,now why ????? Lol

If I may call you Joe just wanted to say I'm a big reader, especially. Crime novels. Just finished three from the library here, first place I go haha.

See ya later suppers ready.

Hugs all round

ColinS
05-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Ah! I'd probably need refs too Joe!!:lol:

There is English. There is Irish English. And there is Norn Iron. :lol:

cliff.kachinske
05-31-2015, 06:52 PM
There is English. There is Irish English. And there is Norn Iron. :lol:

Wut?

PattiLou
05-31-2015, 07:19 PM
Well, I think it is interesting all the different sayings from different areas. Even in the states there are different sayings in different regions... fascinating. :D

ColinS
05-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Wut?

Lessons in Norn Iron, what they speak in Northern Ireland. A few practical phrases to navigate the dockyards of Belfast:

(Warning: expletives not deleted. :lol: )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJH3_mYFPYc

Never heard that expression "bull's lugs" Maureen. We would say "tough as an old boot" for a steak.

idylbrush
05-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Quiet weekend. Rested most of today, well, the last 4 hours anyway.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2015/36241-finaljam.jpeg

with the help of this...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2015/36241-Ball_jamjellymaker.jpeg

bluefish
06-01-2015, 07:16 AM
Elaine....you used a term, I haven't heard in quite awhile....'suppers ready'....

we usually think of 'dinner's ready'.....'suppy' being a late night meal after the theather.........

and Maureen....over here a tough steak is 'tough as Meggs'.....:lol: :lol: :lol: