PDA

View Full Version : What to put underfoot?

Mettaphorica
05-01-2015, 01:05 AM
Hi all

WIP, and I am looking to get the "awwww..." factor in this one, it's going in a show and I'm looking for it to be as cute and adorable as I can get it.

However, I'm not crazy about the foreground that they are standing on...concrete with a bit of straw. What suggestions to do with this? Extend the background to the front (lightening it as I go) as far down as their bottoms, and then do all straw around their feet and legs with a hint of their feet sticking out here and there? I'm not sure you can see it here, but in my painting, I have put straw behind them, as in straw in shadow, but maybe it's not visible.

I have already lowered the barn top to focus more on the chicks, but wondering if I should crop it down even more?

My WIP and ref below. All help appreciated, thanks,
cheers
Donna

PS I notice that the chicks in the ref photo here are much lighter than the print out photo, and also my painting, and also the photo of my painting looks a bit darker than it is in real life, (even after adjusting in PS) so the colour on the web for both are a bit different, and they match more closely in real life.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2015/979263-IMG_4822WEB.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2015/979263-ChicksWEB.jpg

jackiesimmonds
05-01-2015, 02:15 AM
Personally I love their little splayed feet, so I would try to show those AND have more straw. I dont see the problem....the area is a nice cool colour contrast to the warmer wood and the legs and even the colour of the chicks.

take another look at chick no. 4 from the left. His eye is softer and less overshadowed than you have made it. I know there is a darker patch by his eye, but I would soften it, the chick will look less like he has heavy lidded eyes.

Yorky
05-01-2015, 03:40 AM
Yes I would keep the detail in the reference.

Doug

Blayne
05-01-2015, 06:54 AM
I rather like the idea that they're perched on a window ledge enjoying the sunlight!

LisaOlivarez
05-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Well, you got an immediate, "awwww" reaction from me! I think it's beautifully and sensitively painted. :)

I agree with the other suggestions and would add this, you said, "I'm not crazy about the foreground that they are standing on...concrete with a bit of straw." I wonder if it isn't dirt instead of concrete? If that's the case you could also play up the little hills of dirt in and around their cute feet a bit, and leave them in all their "splayed" adorableness.

It's lovely!!!!!

Still-trying
05-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Donna they are adorable. Like the others, I like seeing the little feet. Perhaps take a look at the bill on chick number two from the left. I have a hard time reading that. Your chicks are so warm and wonderful. Great great work. Awwwwlright!

Nick7
05-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Awwwwww :D

I don't have any advice, but they do look cute :)

LynneDe
05-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Having had chickens in my distant past...I like seeing this picture, very realistic and I am drawn in by the chicks. I agree with Liz on it being better as dirt and not concrete, some more wisps of hay, but not hay covered and letting their feet show. I also concur on the beak of two from left...it looks a bit stunted or something. Very lovely picture overall, I hope they give you any/all rewards possible. :)

Mettaphorica
05-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Thank you all for your observations, feedback and suggestions. Regarding chick 2 with the funny beak, that one has been very tricky to paint because of his angle - I've been fighting with it the whole time, and it's such a tiny area. Clearly I need to fix it some more, though.Thanks for pointing it out.
cheers
Donna

water girl
05-01-2015, 09:07 PM
I have to add an "Awwwwww" to this thread. There are good suggestions here, and I'm looking forward to the finale.

madijen
05-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Awww so cute.

maryinasia
05-02-2015, 10:02 AM
awwwww! I would paint the floor as is, perhaps just in a warmer color

Mettaphorica
05-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Hi all
based on all the advice, here is an update. Chicks with straw, a coolish floor, and cute little feetsies sticking out.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2015/979263-IMG_4834web.jpg I adjusted the beak again of #2 from left, but he's a really tricky one to do, I can't seem to get it right, even doing it upside down! (the picture, not me). If the straw and everything else looks fine, I will get on with doing the woodgrain barn opening, otherwise, please post comments. thanks all
cheers
Donna

raxu
05-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Awwwwwwwwwww! I am so exited how this already looks, they are so cute and tell a story :) Thanks for sharing!

Mettaphorica
05-07-2015, 05:28 AM
Thanks, Raxu, the "awwww" comment is what I'm after with this one! I'm hoping they are coming along and that I solved the issues that others commented on.
thanks
cheers
Donna

robertsloan2
05-07-2015, 07:58 AM
This is so cool! They have personalities, it tells a story, they're all talking to each other and the darker dirt floor under straw did work well. I had to smile, they reminded me of my daughter's chickens. She bought them as little chicks and raised them, some basic easy breed and then a really fancy breed. Awesome cool and I love the realism here. Think that beak of the second from left looks true but pouty like it's complaining, which is a cool thing!

Mettaphorica
05-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Thank you so much, Robert, yes, I think they look like they are 'talking', too! Glad the beak has worked out a little better, it was really tricky from the source pic. Will update when I finish the barn 'frame'.
thanks again
cheers
Donna

This is so cool! They have personalities, it tells a story, they're all talking to each other and the darker dirt floor under straw did work well. I had to smile, they reminded me of my daughter's chickens. She bought them as little chicks and raised them, some basic easy breed and then a really fancy breed. Awesome cool and I love the realism here. Think that beak of the second from left looks true but pouty like it's complaining, which is a cool thing!