PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble May 2015

Shirl Parker
04-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

:wave:

robertsloan2
05-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Purr, thanks for hosting again, Shirl! I'm still feeling sluggish een though it's nice outside. Must be a changing weather thing. Ari purrs and sheds cat hairs of inspiration on everyone!

blr2449
05-01-2015, 12:07 PM
If all my cats' hairs were of inspiration I'd be insanely famous and wealthy. :lol:

robertsloan2
05-01-2015, 05:51 PM
You have lots of cats! The inspiration's there, just pet them and snuggle them and scritch around that spot on their shoulders they can't reach. The cat hairs will work their way in and inspire! When I'm not painting I'm thinking about painting. Ari is so good at shedding too.

blr2449
05-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Well, we had an interesting afternoon......we had an earthquake! We do have little ones in Michigan, but this one was a 4.2 and we live only 9 miles from the epicenter. Our house didn't sustain any damage, but closer to the epicenter did. And now we know a fault line runs diagonally under our county
http://www.wwmt.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/4-0-Earthquake-rocks-West-Michigan-125777.shtml#.VUVervlVhBc

robertsloan2
05-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Oh wow. Yeah, I knew there were serious faults in the Midwest, sorry you're on top of one. But glad it's already over and you came through okay!

blr2449
05-03-2015, 09:43 PM
I have to admit it was kind of cool. I suppose I feel that way because I've never experienced a big, destructive one. Anyway, a few plastic things jiggled off the table so no damage.

DBfarmgirl
05-05-2015, 07:28 AM
I slept through my first earthquake- in hotel room in Atlanta. I woke up in time to say "something doesn't feel right", and went back to sleep.

The second one was far away from our house, south of Pennsylvania. I just felt something odd, later found out it was a distant earthquake.

I don't think I want to have one any closer. 9 miles away is much too close. I like my earth to be stable. hopefully that's the last of them.

the weather has been so nice here I haven't done much painting. I'm in the garden getting ready for planting. The next couple days we'll be cutting firewood and clearing brush again before the fields are planted. Then we'll be back to clearing pasture as we have time.

We're coming down the home stretch with my son's Eagle Scout project. He turns 18 at the end of the month, not a moment too soon. Then it's graduation- everything will come to a close all at once.

robertsloan2
05-05-2015, 08:29 AM
I think I was always aware of the survival rates in earthquakes. They don't scare me like some other things. I don't actually get that scared of natural disasters though. I think back and hurricanes it was the same thing. Maybe it's just that down in the gut I've always known Nature was bigger than I am and these things happen, when they do it's just luck.

I've been in little ones. They're fun. It's a little more than a truck passing, some rattles, not much else. Missed the biggish one but would have been okay if I'd stayed where I was living at the time, my old building is still there.

I didn't get that scared in hurricanes either. The one thing I hate is tornadoes, but that's because evacuating to basement or garage or brick building in the trailer park I will wind up overexerting, wreck my back and get a fibro flare from the group panic as everyone pesters me for being that slow and not going without Ari. No one else can handle a scared Ari, really. But even those don't blow up out of nowhere, the damage is the running around in a hurry and then sitting on concrete and so on.

I think I've always been more afraid of people and car accidents than natural disasters.

DBfarmgirl
05-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Nothing as uncontrollable as a scared cat. teeth, claws, and small enough to squirm out of any grip. - I'd always go back for the pets too. The couple times we had a tornado scare here, the dogs were in the basement first.

People, car accidents and natural disasters. especially tornadoes. I'm not a big wind lover, I always worry about the trees. My heart breaks when I see a big old tree ruined because of the weather. I always think how long it took to get that big. irreplaceable.

We had a very small tornado come close to my home growing up. We had leaves plastered all over the house and trees down. I had been riding my horse in our hay fields right before. He kept fighting me to go home to the point the ride was worthless. I made it to the barn before the storm hit. I always figured his mustang half was probably what drove him home. He was a very UNdomesticated horse, still very instinctive. Tough as nails, and a good game pony. If I ever get another horse, it would be one like him. After caring for my sister-in-law's 32 year old (no kidding-32!) thoroughbred, I want low maintenance and indestructible, I can take a little wild over delicate and cultured.

It is so beautiful here now, the leaves are coming out and everything is beyond green. this is my favorite time of year. I don't like winter much, but it does make spring more appreciated.

Shirl Parker
05-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Tsunamis :eek:

robertsloan2
05-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Your half-wild horse sounds cool! Yeah, tornadoes and wind storms are hard on the trees. Like the majority of people even in the worst tornado zones, I never had the place I lived hit by one. I saw damage in person many times riding a bus or driving past it but was lucky - by a very large margin. The loss of trees is always enormous though, even around the area where they touch down.

Today I'm going out. It's chilly rather than sunny warm, overcast, but that might be good for garden photography. I've got a good jacket to wear and going to be taking my new pastels out, along with some sketch materials.

DBfarmgirl
05-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Robert- did you get any sketching done? I never thought it go chilly in Cali. Are you affected by the drought at all?

Hoping to get paperwork signed off on my son's Eagle Scout project today. I can't tell you what a relief it will be to get that done. He'll be 18 on the 26th, I had hoped to get it done well before then.

The weather here has been so nice. My lilacs are blooming, I wish I could send everyone a BIG bouquet of them. The smell so great, but don't last long. The ever blooming lilac bush would be priceless....

I always knew I was a lousy speller- then I got spell check and I realized I was a REALLY lousy speller....

robertsloan2
05-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Got sketching done on Wednesday while I was out, but not today.

Tsunamis are scary! The one natural disaster that does give me chills. Mostly because the survivors are people who can run fast enough away from the shore while the water's sucking out, and maybe strong enough to hang onto a tree. I'm neither. Like crowds at a concert it's one of those things I wouldn't survive unless a couple of strong guys picked me up to move me inland or threw me in a car. Even my power scooter doesn't reach the speed of a running person, more like a walk at its top speed. A brisk walk but still, no flat out emergency run to high ground.

Oooh thanks! Maybe get some photos and post them so we can all paint our lilac bunches? I love lilacs.

There is a strange one in the clinic garden that is bluer than any lilac I've ever seen, more like an Ultramarine tint than a blue cast violet. The spikes are tiny, no longer than my little finger, only an inch wide. Florets are tiny, more the size of a petal on a regular one, but oh the scent! I sometimes catch whiffs of it right out the door even though it's at the far end of the garden and by the time I get there it's overwhelming.

I've got some photos but they don't really do it justice. Need to put lilacs in a painting sometime, always loved those.

Weather here has been gorgeous too, cool or warm but not really extreme, really nice after a long winter that was hard on me.

I love spell check. Its weird little atrocities crack me up. Especially in phrases like "...reign in the violence" in articles. Every sound alike word it tosses up the wrong one for the context.

bogbeast
06-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Robert, I know this is long after this conversation, but what you are describing sounds like California lilacs--some varieties are more shrub or groundcover than a lilac. Not as good as in the Midwest, but lovely in their own right. The median of the main drag over here Berkeley has a lot of them!

robertsloan2
06-06-2015, 02:50 AM
Oh wow, thank you! This is an actual shrub about the height of usual lilac shrubs. But those tiny blue spikes with incredible heavy scent were unlike any variety I'd ever seen.

robertsloan2
06-16-2015, 10:19 PM
Oops, we don't have a June Scumble! Oh well, continuing this one. If Shirl doesn't start a new one in July, I will post it when I post the next Goalpost.

Today I sketched Ari in pencil. Not pastels but thought I'd share here, got a good photo showing his lovely eyes not dilated!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2015/70184-6-16-2015_Ari_Pen_and_Pencil_Sketches.jpg
Ari Cat Sketches
9" x 12"
Pigma Micron brush tip and pen
Stillman & Birn Beta 180lb white watercolor paper, rough.
Life (pen) and my own photo (pencil).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2015/70184-Ari_Cat_Fluffy_6-16-2015.jpg

He came out so great in this photo, it was irresistible! Anyone else can sketch him too, in any medium, consider this an RIL upload and enjoy!

Shirl Parker
06-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Robert, I asked the Moderator to re-label this thread "May/June" but I guess it never happened.

robertsloan2
06-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Purr, that makes sense. Guess it just didn't happen.

Whew, finally past that nightmare infection in my sinus cavities. This was not getting some kind of stuffed nose or runny nose thing. It was more like how a boil or a tooth abscess feels but way up from my gums, no actual opening to it from my gums or teeth. I have no idea how it got going but the antibiotics worked after I got them last Saturday. Finished them last night, crossing my fingers it's really gone and not just lying in wait. Eating a lot of bread kept my digestion moving, so that was a relief too.

blr2449
06-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Oh gosh, I hope it's gone, too!!! I'm glad you took the entire course of antibiotics.

Shirl Parker
07-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Time for a new chat thread. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382851)