PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Woods Redux; C&C welcome

cliff.kachinske
04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Not necessarily finished, but more of an experiment in any case.

Virtual chocolate truffle to anyone who spots an animal in the picture and can tell me its location.

16 X 20, panel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2015/1965263-wet-woods-redux.JPG

What I learned ...
- Don't have the patience for 11 layers of glaze.
- Colors thinned with glazing medium have amazing flow characteristics, but leave the canvas very shiny.
- Blue glazes and white veils push things away.
- It's hard to judge final tonal value while the paint is still wet.

Fox_eNova
05-01-2015, 12:19 AM
With my xRay vision I see a white tailed rabbit leaving some droppings behind the larger green bush.
Looks like trees now and no longer sawn lumber. :thumbsup:
Isn't it amazing that a simple composition can require so much time and work. Well Done Cliff!

ColinS
05-01-2015, 01:31 AM
I like this. It has depth and delicacy. Don't see no animal though. :confused:

cliff.kachinske
05-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Eric, Colin, thank you.

There's a hint of a critter, but it's not a strong hint.

Imogene Thomas
05-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Is that a bear I am seeing on the 3rd tree from R to L ? Nice.

LavenderFrost
05-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Now it is the woods instead of a piece of wood. I can't see an animal though.

cliff.kachinske
05-01-2015, 12:06 PM
JT, you found it. Sharp eyes.

I was considering calling this "I Don't See the Other One."

bluefish
05-01-2015, 01:59 PM
the 'librarian' said she can now see the trees and that 'cute hiding bear'.....

cliff.kachinske
05-01-2015, 02:31 PM
MIchelle, thanks for looking in. In the lower left corner about 1/3 of the way up and 1/3 of the way in there is what might be half the face of a wily wild animal peeking around a tree. Hinted at by an ear and nose. JT sees a bear, but I was thinking something more canine.

Blue, ???. :confused: :confused:

chammi kaiser
05-01-2015, 02:53 PM
I like those harmonious colours and you have certainly managed to get a few imaginations going. Well done.

cinderblockstudios
05-01-2015, 03:29 PM
It's a nice concept...looks like you're painting WAY too thin though.

cliff.kachinske
05-01-2015, 04:57 PM
It's a nice concept...looks like you're painting WAY too thin though.

Help me understand. Why too thin? Why is that a problem?

TamiP
05-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Really cool. Definitely not a lumber yard in this one. This is a beautiful forest. Is there a little tiny bird in the knot-hole?

cliff.kachinske
05-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Tami, thank you.

I think the bird slipped in there while I was looking the other way.

PattiLou
05-02-2015, 11:37 AM
I also thought it was a small bird perched at the knothole. Interesting what everyone sees.

Dcam
05-02-2015, 11:54 AM
I like this one and you've learned quite bit. Warm colors advance and cool colors recede etc.
In acrylics, always paint in a slightly higher key to allow for darkening.:thumbsup:
Derek

dceska93
05-04-2015, 09:51 AM
I also thought the knot was a small bird perched there. Very interesting composition, and interesting to see what everyone finds for the animal. I love the colors in this as well. Really nice job!

cliff.kachinske
05-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Patti, Yes it is interesting. My theory is the knot hole has the most contrast of the whole painting, so the eye goes to it.

Derek, Thank you. The color shift drove me crazy on this one. The adjacent values are so small that I sometimes could not see the wet paint I had just put down.

Darren, thank you. The view through the garage window on a rainy day suggested the composition.

jocko500
05-05-2015, 12:34 AM
you may like the air brush medium. It makes the paint flow real good and it still have the solid look too. try it when you can. cool painting

AprilJoy
05-05-2015, 08:03 PM
I see an owl (green, bottom right), moving towards the left, a teddy bear by a curled up cat (heading left), then a squirrel but I have no idea what that fire hydrant is doing there or what turned the animals green lol.
Cool experiment. I just sold a "thin" painting. Do your thing.

cliff.kachinske
05-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Jocko, thank you for the tip. I'm going to have to give it a try one day. Right now, though, I'm liking transparent effects. That and pushing around gobs of wet paint on a panel. I'll post a painting in a day or so to show what I mean.

April, thanks for the comment. The fire hydrant is there for the convenience of the owl. Also you missed the Southern Tree Octopus. I'm not sayin' where to look, so you just have to find it fer yerself. Too thin, too thick, whatever. I paint what the painting tells me.