PDA

View Full Version : Kamvar varnish, yuck

forrie
04-27-2015, 06:03 PM
A friend suggested I use Kamvar to varnish my works with. So, I bought a couple cans and did two large items.

Well, I wasn't prepared for the industrial odor. And it doesn't seem to go away, which is really upsetting -- smells like an airline hangar.

Now, I'm wondering if I should have just used a basic clear/gloss acrylic sealant.

Anyone here have any experience with Kamvar on acrylic paintings? I put these two large items right back into the basement!

Charlie's Mum
04-28-2015, 12:26 PM
An awful thing to happen!
Haven't any experience with this varnish so sorry I can't help ........ you might, though, look at their website for further info about it and also contact them - they might have some helpful suggestions?:)

idylbrush
04-29-2015, 09:36 AM
If you write Gamblin, they have a document on using Gamvar on acrylic paintings. Apparently a very very thin coat is required. Even if using Gamvar, I would put an isolation coat on the painting anyway. If you want to avoid Gamvar altogether you can use a removable varnish made by many manufacturers. Some are ammonia soluble while others are mineral spirits soluble.

Davkin
04-29-2015, 10:08 AM
I like to use a spray varnish and it has an odor that's far from pleasant but I like it because I get consistent results. I have a home built 450cfm spray booth in the basement though that I built for another hobby, I just spray near that and leave it running for a while after.
I've tried acrylic based brush on varnishes and don't like them, they often leave brush strokes or go on too thick.

susme48
04-29-2015, 01:44 PM
I used to just varnish, but now seal first, then varnish. I use the spray, but ALWAYS do it outside. and if I can, let them dry outside as well.