PDA

View Full Version : Cozy Cone Motel - Work in Progress

DougThomas
04-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Here's a picture of part of my Cozy Cone Motel linoleum reduction block. The block, similar to my Modern Cafe lino is 18x24 and is based off of the Cozy Cone Motel which is from Disney-Pixar film Cars. (Special thanks to my younger brother for the image from Cars Land in Disney California Adventure)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2015/1968992-DSC09988.JPG

Jon
05-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Any updates for us?

DougThomas
05-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Hello! Yes I do have an update...unfortunately this process is an extended one. Each layer of ink needs at least a week of drying time before you can place down the next. So far I've added 3 colors over the last 3 weeks and tonight I'll be adding the 4th. Below is a picture of the 3 colors. I altered the image in photoshop because it was fairly dark and taken on my phone (which is not newer).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2015/1968992-0502151415a.jpg

DougThomas
05-08-2015, 11:14 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2015/1968992-cozyconeink2.jpg

I am realizing that I was indeed to confident going into this piece after my last one worked out. I've printed some colors that should've been held off till a later time. I'm not used to printing in little patches either so I'm not getting to see the overall results as quickly as I have done in the past. Due to that this piece is really starting to drag...hoping it turns out okay. Still have 3 or 4 weeks until it's completed.

DougThomas
05-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Just some carving this week so far. Here is an image that I threw together showing the stages of carving. I just finished removing the sleeping cars neon tubing this morning (stage 4)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2015/1968992-carvingstages.jpg

Jon
05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
I understand it is a slow process and I appreciate you taking the time to share. I like the sleeping cars concept.

Artchrispy
05-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Your patience is admirable If I can't finish a painting in one sitting I rarely finish it at all. To my eye the images pictured work on their own as finished works. They have an abstract or at least a 'deliberately unfinished' quality. The compositions are strong.

DougThomas
05-15-2015, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I have a degree in animation so if I learned patience while doing tedious work...it definitely came from there. Here's updates from tonights printing session.

I added the red-orange of the road cone and printed white over the gray "Motel" area. I printed over that area because it was too dark. I used the gray that was there as the shadow for the neon tubing and the white turned a light gray which will be perfect for tubes themselves.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2015/1968992-DSC00023.JPG

DougThomas
05-15-2015, 12:12 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2015/1968992-DSC00024.JPG

Here's a picture update for the sleeping car. You can see the light yellow background, the yellow neon tubing and the red-orange road cone. I still need to add the shadow color which will most likely just be black...though I may add some transparency so that it shows some value change in areas....I still need to think about though.

AnnieA
05-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Wow...all that time for just one color! No wonder you seem to have several pieces going at once. This piece looks terrific! I'm eager to see the finale!

DougThomas
05-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Hi Annie,

Yes I usually print about 15 or so prints in hopes that registration keeps fairly consistent. Out of that 15 I can usually get around 8-10 that have passable registration.

I just noticed....and I don't know how I didn't notice it before, but I forgot to carve one of the eye-lids of the sleeping car. Even in the image above, which I looked at, I didn't notice it until I started carving the road cone away. In the image above, the one eye is yellow and the other is road cone red.....UGH!!!!! I may try once I complete the piece to go back in with a paint brush and apply yellow ink to that area....not sure that that's even possible, but I'm gonna take a stab at it.

DougThomas
05-22-2015, 01:45 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2015/1968992-0521152116.jpg

Not the best image, but I printed the sky blue and a very small shadow area on the road cone this evening. I'm excited that this piece is finally coming to a close. I have to print the blue once again because there are areas that didn't cover as well (due to printed areas underneath showing through) and then finish up by printing brown and black.

I've not had the best feelings about this piece, but now that I've added in the sky I'm much happier. Adding the sky makes it looks a little more cohesive. Can't wait to get the brown in.

DougThomas
05-29-2015, 12:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2015/1968992-cozyconebluesky.jpg

Reprinted the blue sky around the Cozy Cone so that it wasn't so blotchy. Only 2 colors to go (brown and black). I now have to carve away the entire sky area....thats a lot of carving.

Dcam
05-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Interesting process and Wonderful results.
Derek

DougThomas
06-01-2015, 12:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2015/1968992-goodbyesky.jpg

Well I finished carving away the sky color yesterday right before work. The carving tool is only about 1/4 inch wide so carving away an area as large as the sky took about 1.5 hours. Next up...brown....which is the actual color of the "Cozy Cone" letters and the area immediately surrounding the "Motel" section.

Thanks Dcam! I had never even thought about this process, but after trying it...I cannot stop. :D

DougThomas
06-08-2015, 01:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2015/1968992-0606151332.jpg

Someone I know took a picture of the ink on the plate, but not one of the Cozy Cone print after the ink was printed.

This is the brown portion of the Cozy Cone print. I only have black to go and will have that printed on Saturday. =)

DougThomas
06-12-2015, 10:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2015/1968992-finalcarve.jpg

Finished carving away the final areas of the block last night (these were the brown areas). All that remains now are the areas that will be printed black and then I'm completed! I'll be printing these tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I won't forget my camera and I'll be able to supply an updated image.

DougThomas
06-15-2015, 01:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2015/1968992-cozyconefinal.jpg

This is the final print of the Cozy Cone Motel from Cars (ie. Disneyland). I printed the black on Saturday and wanted to wait a little for the ink to dry.

Though it's not terribly awful I am disappointed with the lack of depth. Had the image I used had more of the side of the sign I think it would've been better. I also had registration issues throughout and they show on almost every print. Only 2 prints (out of 8) are passable.

I wish I would've used black for the neon shadows that fall on the brown in the "Motel" area. I'm getting sky blue showing through and that only helps me to see the registration issues.

Also, in the road cone I left the neon "Z" tubes white and the letters were a light yellow. The light yellow is too light and the white tubes completely disappear from view.

I jumped into this piece thinking it would be easy. Instead I discovered that there were more colors than I had time for and I needed to add some colors which takes additional time (that I didn't have).

I can count 8 colors which isn't bad (grey, yellow, light yellow, orange, light orange, black, brown & blue), but I think I needed 10 (light grey & dark orange). The more colors that one uses the more difficult the registration becomes. If the paper isn't in the exact location that it prints off...that was my biggest problem.

A fantastic learning experience though and I'll still frame one up and hang it.

Let me know what you think and any advice on what you think could've been changed will be taken into consideration on my next really large block, but I'm taking a break from larger blocks and going to focus on littler ones for the summer.

DougThomas
06-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Here's a picture of part of my Cozy Cone Motel linoleum reduction block. The block, similar to my Modern Cafe lino is 18x24 and is based off of the Cozy Cone Motel which is from Disney-Pixar film Cars. (Special thanks to my younger brother for the image from Cars Land in Disney California Adventure)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2015/1968992-DSC09988.JPG

Finally completed. 8 colors and needed 10. =/

Yorky
06-16-2015, 12:41 AM
An amazing tour de force. I think you could a thin black edge to the Vacancy sign to add depth. Don't know if that is practical.

Doug

AnnieA
06-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Doug, this is absolutely fabulous and I don't think the average viewer would at all see some of the stuff that you're not so happy with. It's an amazing piece! Thanks for showing us your process. Bravo!

DougThomas
06-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words! Considering sending one to the source of the inspiration....John Lasseter (co-founder of Pixar). Not sure though...but I still may once they have finally dried.

AnnieA
06-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words! Considering sending one to the source of the inspiration....John Lasseter (co-founder of Pixar). Not sure though...but I still may once they have finally dried.
Hey Doug: It suddenly occurred to me to ask you about copyright issues. Aren't elements from a film covered under the law?

DougThomas
06-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Yeah probably. Actually I have no doubt. I thought about that before making this print, but when I was looking for subject matter I had a hard time finding anything that really resonated with me.

When I was shown the picture for this by my brother (which was taken by him from Disneys California Adventure park - Cars World) I really wanted to do it regardless of copyright. I love cartoons so much that I have a degree in animation and this sign was exactly what I was looking for.

I have no intention of selling any of these, though the idea of sending one to John Lasseter is still in my head. I've been trying to identify the best 2 prints...one for me...one for him and then send him one with a thank you for helping to inspire me (in 2 ways...animation and also concept for this piece).

As long as I don't receive a overly negative response from him I may plan on completing the neon series from Cars when my wife and I go to Disneyland in 2 years. Get the pictures I need and then begin the process of making all of those prints.

AnnieA
06-19-2015, 04:39 PM
You're probably right that it's not a major issue, Doug, especially if you're not planning to sell it. Who knows, maybe if you send it to the guy, you'll end up getting some kind of job offer, or at least a good contact for the future. A friend of mine years ago worked for Disneyland (the Anaheim one), doing the architectural drawings for a rehab of Cinderella's castle. She loved it.

And clearly, since these take so incredibly long to produce, it's a labor of love for you to do them. I would think that would be appreciated.

Folio
06-22-2015, 10:27 PM
I think it's stunning. Can't see the blemishes but they would jump out to you. The way you have kept the large areas such as the sky free of marks, it's amazing.

DougThomas
06-24-2015, 10:31 AM
In order to keep the sky free of marks I dug excessively deep into the linoleum. In many places you can see the mesh that holds it together. I do have a couple prints that have marks though. After the first one got markings I also took the time with paper towels to wipe down areas that were marked. I would spend about 3 or 4 minutes trying to wipe areas somewhat clean so I wouldn't get the "chatter" in areas that were supposed to be clean.

Glad to hear people like it though. =)

Triduana
06-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Hi Doug, I think this is brilliant! It's from one of my favourite films :D

It's interesting to see the progress steps and photos too. I've only ever done small prints in the past with three colours at the most, and it's really tricky to get everything alligned - you've done a fabulous job, especially considering how many colours you were working with! Thanks for sharing.

Dcam
06-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Doug, you are a patient craftsman as well as artist. You must love the process and the product pays off.
Very nice.
Derek

DougThomas
06-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Kay - Thanks! I started with a 8x10 3 color for my Intro to Printmaking class and really enjoyed, but had issues with the registration. I liked it enough that I wanted to go bigger though and started paying closer attention to how I set the paper. The registration bars pegs where I make these bigger ones are a bit loose though and they cause major issues for me.

Derek - Thanks as well. My patience comes from my background in animation (24 frames per second of animation :wink2: ). I had no intention of loving printmaking I just wanted to learn about it and absolutely fell in love my relief printmaking. Glad you like the final results.

MBosen
08-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Man, that is hardcore.

I can't imagine how much brain power alone it takes to remember where you want certain colors to show through when carving. Everything I've tried carving had to glue a couple pieces back on.

I aspire to one day be able to keep those elements straight. Mad props.

DougThomas
08-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks MBosen!

It takes a fair amount of pre-planning and I sometimes mark areas with one or two letters identifying the color so I don't get confused. I didn't do that with this print because it was pretty straight forward with the colors, but on others I've had to mark them up like a paint-by-number.