PDA

View Full Version : Return

Delofasht
04-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Did a little painting with my daughter's acrylics today. . . first time in like 15 years. Got the sky about where I want it after like 45 minutes of toying around to get the general feel of the medium again, though I have some clouds at the bottom between the mountain and cliff that will need some work (got interrupted by my adorable child).

I'm not entirely certain whether I like the medium anymore or not. :lol: Since getting back to painting traditionally though and as a way to warm up for better paintings though it's fun. My camera has a tendency to be out of focus for some reason but this is the general look of it (though I cropped everything that isn't going to be in the painting out. Over the next few days as I paint with my daughter I'm going to keep working on this and just build it up as a fun exercise. Got some buildings strewn about randomly here no sense of real lighting done yet, nothing special, but it was fun all the same. Definitely feel like I have a better handle on the medium than I used to though.

Galleria Acrylics on Paper, 8 x 6 inches (or there abouts. . . I didn't actually measure it but I know it's small). I used 3 near primaries and white, mixing up my colors as needed and layering some colors here or there. Took a longer than I expected to get used to the feel of the medium again. Oh yeah. . . only a 1/2inch Flat brush used to make it, gonna work it up over the next few days blend out the sky a bit more and just get it to be smoother over all. (lighten the horizon a bit)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/34519-Acrylic.jpeg

Dcam
04-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Great clouds: looking forward to the finish. Good luck.
Derek

Fox_eNova
04-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Good start. Beautiful cloud work.

ColinS
04-26-2015, 11:16 PM
I agree with Derek and Eric: the clouds are fabulous.

Charlie's Mum
04-27-2015, 06:08 AM
I agree too - if the rest comes up to the standard of the clouds, you really will be 'back'! ...... welcome back :)

LavenderFrost
04-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Those clouds look really good. And how nice to be painting with your daughter.

cliff.kachinske
04-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Good start.

chammi kaiser
04-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Looking forward to the finish. Looks good so far.

Delofasht
07-27-2015, 01:38 AM
Been awhile, was moving to a new apartment from the house I was renting. Got my Chroma Interactives package in the mail awhile back and tested them out. They really performed much better than I expected, the feel and flow of them being a little less plasticky than some other brands I've used before.

After adjusting to the new place, and finding the kiddos' acrylics I could jump back onto this. Slowly getting more familiar with the medium, starting to see some benefits to working in acrylics. Surprised by how far just a tiny bit of paint can go, especially since I'm not painting impastos yet. Switched from a flat brush to a round for this second pass, been going good (don't know where my flat is currently. . . surely in a different box somewhere).

Here's the update:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2015/34519-IMG_0911_s.jpeg

Feeling pretty smooth, did some blending while the paint was still wet with either my finger or a paper towel. It's coming along I think, still just inventing stuff as I go, not super pleased with the closer bushes yet, but getting better than the initial blobs of color I had everywhere. Still determining what I want to do with those dark building shapes, looks very country like, might drop in some barns cows and tiny little people or something. Could go anywhere I guess. I am much happier with the clouds after the second coat of paint, they are starting to look like layers of clouds now with clouds in front of clouds and such. FUNNN times.

Charlie's Mum
07-27-2015, 05:53 AM
The clouds are great!
Try a similar method on the bushes but increase the tonal differences to bring them forward - integrate some taller trees too - and bed the 'houses' in trees and stuff also ...... just keep the tones of the buildings softer as they're in the mid-distance.:)

gaykir
07-27-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm glad you are sharing this. It's quite a fun WIP and you have a wonderful feel for acrylics!

Pitterpat4
07-27-2015, 12:23 PM
I love the clouds. They look great.

Delofasht
07-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm loving all the informative posts too, all the more tricks I can use from other areas in a painting elsewhere really makes approaching the work easier.

I gotta say, I'm really loving clouds. . . they are so much fun to paint, only thing I've started to encounter recently is getting them to actually interact with the rest of the painting some, which has been tricky to say the least. Not just random bits handing in the sky, but actually casting shadows down onto the ground below and affecting the atmosphere. It's so much harder from imagination than from a photo though, I should probably just get a photo for reference. :lol: Ah well, fun times anyhow. This was all about getting used to acrylics after years away, I'm feeling confident now, probably actually do something more "real" soon.

Redgrl
07-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Looking good... just like the clouds in my area of the world today. I also like your mountains, especially higher up where the sun is hitting them.

Patty (who is another one with paint stuff in moving boxes!)

Delofasht
08-02-2015, 02:18 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2015/34519-IMG_0912_s.jpg

Might do a bit more on it eventually, but as a returning to acrylic painting I think I'm pretty much done. I sought to relearn the medium after years away and now I think I can say I have a grasp on how long things take to dry, how long I can keep things wet with just a spray, and what kinds of acrylics I like.

It was a great exercise, and I could spend ages on it, but really it's just too small to detail out with just a #8 round. Well, maybe if the tip of my brush were a bit sharper, or if it were maybe a little bit softer of a brush instead of this more stiff bristle thing. Ah well, I'm happy with it! I was going to put some shadows under them but when I did I immediately felt the contrast broke the sense of depth so I wiped it away hurriedly, decided I best leave it alone before I mess it up too horribly :lol:

I'm guilty of putting way too much paint on my palette with acrylics, so I had to use all up the remaining paint and had a bit of space under my little painting. . . so I did a little sketch of a few things I had rolling around in my head. I think for the next painting in acrylics I will actually prepare a board, use some mediums, and actually try to paint something from a reference rather than just dumping my brain on a piece of paper. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and for looking!