PDA

View Full Version : Learning experience

Nick7
04-26-2015, 09:46 AM
:) I love the style of Shireesh. I also like to try copying paintings because I ALWAYS find out that it was much harder than I had expected :D I remember that I had thought that the beauty of Karen Margulis' paintings was in the way she used the pastel sticks. After I copied a lot of them I found out that that was just a cherry on top of the solid base of her knowledge of corresponding colors and values :angel::angel::angel::D

Shireesh' style is loose as well, I was about to copy a demo of a sketch so I started lighthearted :rolleyes:

Well... :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941127

I was surprised how complex the sketch was. How many pastel sticks I had to used. How different the stages were - I fell like I needed to correct everything I had painted so far.

At the end I feel like I have created a chaos instead of a loose sketch. I would appreciate any tip, comment or critique. Do you think that the texture of the paper and the type of the colors (I think that I used warmer ones than Shireesh?) have a big impact, or that there is something else that caused the difference between my attempt and Shireesh' work? Do I need to cover the paper more?

Thank you very much. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/1892815-CAM01736m.jpg

Blayne
04-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Very nice, Nick! You STARTED OUT lighthearted? LOL how full of hope we are when we first start an "easy" painting. :lol: But you did a great job, really. I think a major difference is that the surface Shireesh used was several values darker, and warmer. I think the color of the surface sets the tone for the whole painting, and it is hard to achieve the same results using a different surface. Even though you used warmer colors, I think his painting looks warmer because of the surface. But both are nice paintings. So lighten your heart again and smile! :)

ural jones
04-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Nick, your piece is really nice, but if you want to experience the 'feeling' he had, you should do as Blayne has suggested. Use a warm Grey paper, then instead of using blue-red, use the warmer orangey and Ochre colors.
Your layout is great.

Still-trying
04-26-2015, 04:08 PM
I think this looks great Nick. One thing to keep in mind... Windows become eyes and the other shape, a mouth. That was on the original too. Just something to think about on future houses.
I love your version very much.
I think I see the lines of laid paper. Could that be what's bothering you?

Nick7
04-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Thank you :)

Jay, do you mean that the shape and the color of the windows is so important that they may influence the painting more than anything else?

It's so interesting to copy other paintings. Sometimes it feels unpleasant because it goes against what I would do if it was my work - different kind of strokes, different colors. In this case, building all those layers (stages) was interesting, because they were so different from each other (or from what I expected them to be :))

It's interesting what you said about the color of the surface. I didn't think it was THAT important.

Still-trying
04-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Nick, what I mean is that the house can have a facial expression if it has two eyes and a mouth. Something I would try to avoid, perhaps, in another painting?

The comment about the color of the paper was not mine. But I do think the color of the paper creeps in to influence a painting. My comment was wondering if you were using laid paper and if that texture might bothering you.

I like your sketch. I think it's cool!

Scottyarthur
04-27-2015, 10:30 PM
I love it frame it and enjoy it.

jackiesimmonds
04-28-2015, 03:40 AM
One of the things which happens when trying what in art schools is called " a transcription" of another's paintings is that something of ourselves goes into that transcription - unless there is an attempt to copy every detail, texture, tone and colour, as an art student might do.
I have seen students standing in galleries, faithfully copying an old master...at first glance, they look pretty good, but there is ALWAYS a difference, and that difference is sometimes unquantifiable....it is like trying to copy someone's handwriting. A super forger might be able to do it...but a regular mortal just misses that tiny x percent.

So...perhaps do not expect to achieve the same results. Simply enjoy the experience of "seeing" through a different pair of eyes, and trying out a different approach and touch to your own, and allow the experience to reinforce your own learning.

Nick7
04-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Thank you Jackie for your thoughts. I will try to paint it again to see if the process will be easier and if I like the result more. The purpose of the experiment was to find out "how Shireesh does it". And I think it helped me to move a bit forward again by realizing that even a simply looking sketch can be very complex and well thought out. Without trying to copy it I wouldn't have realized that.

Jay, Scotty, thank you very much :)

jackiesimmonds
04-30-2015, 08:08 AM
nick, my recommendation would be to find a similar subject, and tackle it with this approach in mind.

Then you will be able to see if yuo have absorbed any of the technique and added it to your arsenal.

Nick7
04-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Jackie, you always say something that makes perfect sense but what I didn't even think about. :) I also need to try to paint from life, not from a photograph... And painting buildings with no one in sight doesn't sound so scary :D I'll see what I can do.

jackiesimmonds
05-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Jackie, you always say something that makes perfect sense but what I didn't even think about

How long you been painting Nick?

Me......upwards of 40 years, and a lot of that spent teaching...............

and although I know there is still stuff I can learn, after all this time a helluva lot of water has gone under my bridge, let's face it!

Nick7
05-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Hmm, less than a year. And I deeply regret all those years when I wanted to but thought that painting couldn't be learned. When it felt embarrassing to try, because "it wouldn't be good anyway". We kept going to galleries at school, but I never heard that those artists had to start somewhere and to keep learning and ruined a lot of paintings as well. The art lessons at school went like "for the next lesson bring your watercolors and we are going to paint a house" but it was not about learning and improving, it was about painting for fun. And when you are a young teenager you are very critical to your own work. So, it was hardly fun :)
And later it simply felt childish and embarrassing to start. I still fight it every time I hold a brush. And that's why my watercolor sketches are still bad even though I started with pastels and watercolor at the same time.
You know... this is so silly. But this experience taught me how important it is to keep encouraging my son, who likes to draw but who is just at the "not good enough anyway" age.

robertsloan2
05-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Very nice, Nick! Yours is a good but not precise copy. Hate to say it but I like the drama of yours more - you have stronger darks and that makes it very lively. Good use of the techniques with subtly different hues, values and paper. Well done. Try this again with a similar subject from scratch!

Also watercolor's harder htan pastels, you should know that by now. Takes longer to get good results. Yours are already looking good to me!

Judibelle
05-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Nick...I like the 'energy' you put into yours...and the 'style'. As I think Jackie implies...you have to have your own 'style'...and you have it.

Nick7
05-03-2015, 07:22 AM
Thank you Rob and Judi :)

The bigger contrast is probably the reason why I wasn't satisfied with my version. And the color harmony.
But it was an interesting experience.

thevaliantx
05-03-2015, 07:51 AM
That house looks surprised.

Nick, the difference between your painting and Shireesh's (I think) is that he scribbled and drew and otherwised layed down marks while you tried to fill everything in with color. In Shireesh's demo he said that the lack of tooth necessitated that he stay away from adding layers.

Make it the job of the viewer to figure out all the details, and you will make that viewer interested in your work.

Shireesh
05-04-2015, 04:31 AM
Nice one, Nick! Way to go!

Jay-bird77
05-04-2015, 02:49 PM
I was reading your post with a big smile on my face and while nodding my head the whole time!
I mean seriously I feel exactly the same things. Then I saw your painting and I was impressed with how you where able to capture the light in the scene! Maybe try and scumble little areas and about every couple of inches change the color?
Try and make a little larger value relationships and blend some and keep some sharp?
I really like what you have so far I'll be looking for the finish!