PDA

View Full Version : Ladies over Lace

ural jones
04-25-2015, 12:45 PM
This little sketch is just an idea I had because I'd like to do something with Q.A.Lace. I also added a contrail don't know if it shows...Do you think it even looks like Q.A.Lace?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2015/1032892-Ladies_over_Lace.jpg

Norma46
04-25-2015, 01:36 PM
I love it. I love the color harmony, the variety of colors in the foliage and the little bees (s) are a great touch. Does it matter that someone would instantly say "oh, he painted QA Lace?" Unless you are doing botanical drawings, I say, great composition and nice white flowers.

ural jones
04-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Thank you, it really doesn't matter. Just having white flowers says the same thing.

Blayne
04-25-2015, 05:16 PM
I think you've done a very credible job showing Queen Anne's lace--and an outstanding job showing the grass it's usually in amongst! Really, those grasses look so natural, all jumbled and with their many colors. (That is exactly how my overgrown back yard gets in summer. Have you been sneaking around back there? :lol: ) I Googled for images of Queen Anne's lace, and there are a few images taken from the underside which show the individual stems of each white floret, the angle you've picked for yours. I think you've approximated them pretty well. I can't see the contrail, but I like this peaceful painting of a meadow on a bright, sunny day. I'll look forward to seeing what you're going to do with this sketch!

ural jones
04-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Thank you Blayne, I am not prowling, but I have got weeds at the cabin!:angel:
I intend to do something with it but I don't know quite when. The concept is valid tho, I think.

Still-trying
04-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Very lovely Ural. You got the QA lace and lovely lovely grass. Do you need the contrail? You do a great job with sketchiness. I love it.

ural jones
04-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Thank you Jay. No, don't think the contrail is necessary either. Just a passing idea that failed to work. I appreciate your thoughts.

Nick7
04-26-2015, 05:04 PM
I like it! And yes the flowers are recognizable :) I hadn't know they were an interesting subject, until I noticed that Karen painted them a lot :)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/186760692/queen-annes-lace-autumn-meadow-16x20?ref=shop_home_active_4

I like the grass in your painting, especially on the left side and the silver straws in the middle.

ural jones
04-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Thank you, Nick. And thanks for the Karen note.

LynneDe
04-26-2015, 06:26 PM
After I looked up what a 'contrail' is, I was able to see it quite nicely...but not until I knew, because I was looking in the grasses...lol. OK, so I'm used to saying 'vapor trail'...

And yes, the QA Lace does show up lovely. I-too have a lot in my yard. Well, after having no one and no money to have it mowed for many years (long story but very blessed through it all) we have many of the 'weeds' that the birds and butterflies love in our 10 acre 'yard'.

Great painting. I'd be honored to hang it if I were you.

ural jones
04-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Thank you, LynneDe. I only thought of this as a little study, so your comments are real nice.
I put in the Contrail simply because no one ever paints them. I was in the U.S Air Force many years ago and is probably why I used contrail instead of vapor trail.