PDA

View Full Version : Program for digital painting photos

greyhounddad
04-25-2015, 11:35 AM
First off, hi this is my first post here.
I have had a Wacom bamboo (medium) tablet for a year but hardly used it, but I want to start to digitally paint as a hobby. I am not very artistic and struggle with most stuff, however I have seen some tutorials on Lynda.com where they put a photograph into painter x3 and then use a reference from layer and a resauturated brush of 0 and paint the photograph if that makes sense. And I think this is going to be my way in, as mainly everything is done already for me, proportions composition color it's just me using brush strokes. Hopefully later I can learn how to paint with out a photo, but like I say I think this is going to be the best way for me to start and learn.

My question is what software would let me do this type of painting. Ie put a photo in and then more or less paint with the photo, like painter x3?
I have downloaded manga studio 5 trial but can't seam to find out how to do this technique is it possible? Or am I better spending the money on painter?

Thanks in advance

LavenderFrost
04-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Twisted Brush and Artrage are also popular programs, and more affordable than Painter. They both have free downloads to try them out too.

If you really want to learn how to paint you should start out by just using a photo as a reference, and you can open it as a layer and trace to get you started. I'll admit, I do that often as a time saver. Put that outline on a layer high up to use as a guide, then cover up that photo and just have it on the side to look at. Start learning to observe and choose your colours.

daq7
04-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Painter, while expensive, is a brilliant natural media simulator.

Elainepsq
04-27-2015, 12:32 AM
Painter has a one step thing where as you paint over it it makes it look like brush strokes, so does photoshop, but basically any painting program that has layers will allow you to place the photo and then paint over it. It's sort of a digital tracing. If you aren't worried about drawing, composition and such, you can spend more of your energy.
My personal favorite is art rage. I know art rage has a free demo, I'm not sure about the others. The only limitation to the free demo from art rage is that you have to work lo resolution, and you cannot print without a watermark. But to get you started, I would try the free demos and see what seems most intuitive to you. Painter is brilliant but terribly overwhelming with so many palettes and adjustments. Good luck.

jow104
04-29-2015, 03:25 AM
Greyhounddad, what you suggest is the way I think those painting programs originally started. After a few sessions I never bothered with it again myself.
If you have a good photograph that is a work of art and technique and does not need imo the input of what you suggest.
Better to create your own handwork of the photograph and explore and enjoy.

Anyway which ever route you choose, enjoy and show us your work.

Andre Yusin
05-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Painter has a Lite version though. Don't know why this fact didn't get to be mentioned. Quite affordable even when not on sale and not quite as complex as the upscale version is I'm sure. Looks like it's called Painter Essentials 5 these days: http://www.painterartist.com/us/product/photo-effects/?pid=prod4950148

Delofasht
05-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Andre this is true, the Corel Painter Essentials is a less powerful version of the full version, lacking a lot of the features I found necessary. Most important for me was tilt senstivity in the version I was using (4), then barrel rotation sensitivity, then brush controls for better simulation of real strokes. . . on and on.

I'd check into ArtRage, I personally think it's better than Painter. . . for a painter. I also found it's UI much easier and more intuitive than Painter. Just my opinion (and I don't work for Ambient Design, just an avid enthusiast)

Edit: Also, to Original Poster: ArtRage's trace feature for creating custom painted versions of photos was better in my opinion than any filter or simple layer in Painter or Photoshop.