PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for fixing acrylic on metal

CyborgRani
04-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice. I recently started taking Irish music classes, and decided to paint a design on my tin whistle with acrylic paint. I've noticed that after less than a day it's started to wear off where I've been handling the whistle. Is there a non-toxic lacquer/fixative that I could use to protect it? The instrument itself is made of brass, and so far I've had no luck finding anything that works on this metal and will definitely be safe for me. (I like this design, but I'd rather not poison myself protecting it!)

daq7
04-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Won't gloss medium work? Or gloss medium with varnish?

Wassie
04-26-2015, 12:46 AM
I have painted acrylics on metal where I applied Kilz primer before painting. I've never had a problem with the paint coming off.

cinderblockstudios
04-26-2015, 03:53 AM
Sand your surface first, usually metal isn't absorbent enough to work on with acrylic (most people use oil for metal painting).

Charlie's Mum
04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
It may also be that cleaning materials were on the metal before paint was added - so it needs thorough cleaning first.:)

Before varnishing try an isolation coat of clear medium - gloss perhaps, as you'll probably want a gloss finish with the varnish?
Mind you, I haven't painted on brass, so this is only a suggestion!:)

Fox_eNova
04-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Most metal musical instruments are 1st polished then sprayed with a clear coat of lacquer, to keep the shine and brilliance. You can remove this with acetone( fingernail polish remover)wipe area of residue. Tape of you area and etch with vinegar, there is also a self-etching primer from rustoleum that works OK. Then paint your subject and re spray with a clear.
Your metal has to be clean and free of anything, priming or undercoating may be a problem for your subject matter. Brass tends to be oily, period.
Good Luck.