PDA

View Full Version : Neon M - WIP

DougThomas
04-24-2015, 01:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2015/1968992-DSC09973.JPG

This is a work in progress reduction linocut that I've been working on. Printed my 3rd color this morning (red). Unfortunately, the red that the camera sees is not the red that is actually printed. This one is much more vibrant and what I was looking for. The one I have is a light darker which I'm assuming is because of the 2 printed greys behind showing through the ink.

I'm somewhat happy with it, but wish the red was just like this image.

Jon
05-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Look forward to an update.

DougThomas
05-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Not much to update on this piece yet. I'm using a different kind of water-based ink over my normal oil based and it's not been overly warm here in PA and it seems to be affecting the drying time of the ink. Usually it takes about a week for oil based inks to dry sufficiently, but these are still rather wet feeling.

Below is a carved block comparison. The image on the left shows the block that has already had the background color and neon tubing carved away. The image of the right shows the block after I've printed and carving the red. The next step will be to print the shadow areas and black (these are the only sections now remaining on the block.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2015/1968992-carvedblockcomparison.jpg

Artchrispy
05-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Wow Its a fascinating process. thanks for the pics of the plates. I imagine you 'd be able to apply these skills to doing bas relief sculpture if so inclined.

DougThomas
05-07-2015, 11:31 PM
They would probably work well in bas-relief sculptures. The concept is pretty much the same.

Folio
05-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Awesome. Your linocuts are so perfect and I like your choice of subject and composition. :thumbsup:

DougThomas
05-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Attempted to print the next color and ran across issues with the ink again. Considering finishing this piece off with oil based inks. The water based I'm using are very different and the results are usually incredibly different... =/

Folio
05-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Sounds like water-soluble oil-based inks? I've found them very slow-drying too.

DougThomas
05-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Yeah they are. I'm attempting to get used to Akua Soy-Based inks since they are much easier to clean up and much less toxic than oil based, but transparency and thickness have been issues. I've bought modifiers to change them and sometimes it works...the Magnesium Carbonate worked on the red to thicken it up and finally get a nice solid print, but not trying to print over top of that is really causing me some frustration.

I really love the Akua Inks for straight single color prints, but the reduction process and printing over previous colors has been.....difficult.

I knew that there would be a learning curve, but I didn't expect this kind of curve. I'll get it eventually......but that's only if I don't give up on them before getting there.

The white-redish looking color is the shadow...the ink itself looks like a muted blue-gray...not this color so much. Going to try printing over this again before resorting back to my standard inks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2015/1968992-DSC00014.JPG

AnnieA
05-16-2015, 11:20 PM
I'm fascinated by your work, Douglas. Are you able to pull many prints from the same blocks? I would think you must be able to do so, but I'm curious. Thanks for showing us your work in progress.

DougThomas
05-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Hi Annie,

Yes, I normally shoot for a number around 15. I print 15 of the first color, carve, 15 of the second, carve, ........and so on.

Registration is not always accurate so sometimes out of that 15...you get 9 or less that are perfect. The others are passable as really good, but if perfection is what you are striving for then less than 9. (sometimes...less)