PDA

View Full Version : Problem spray painting with stencil on watercolor paper. HELP!

Wallman
04-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Hi,

I really need som advice regarding spray painting on watercolor paper. I want to make my own stencil using a scalpel but I wonder what material I should use since I intend to use the stencil itself on a watercolor paper? I have already tried using low-tack adhesive Frisket film (so far from two different manufacturers) but the film keep damaging the delicate paper surface (tearing it up). Im desperate and Id really appreciate some help!
The way I see it right now I have two options:
- try to make the Frisket film even less adhesive by using it on other surfaces first, and then using it on my watercolor paper
- look for alternative stencil materials (silicone? vinyl?)

Most grateful for suggestions!

/Kristoffer
Stockholm, Sweden

idylbrush
04-24-2015, 06:53 AM
I use quite a few stencils. Frequently on paper. I use several different materials. Acetate makes a sturdy stencil which can be used over and over again. I use stencil adhesive on this material which seems to work well. Contact paper also works well. It would be an experiment on watercolor paper. Another option is to cut the stencil on acetate and use weights to hold it in place on a horizontal surface, moving the weights as needed. Of course using the stencil on another surface and then the watercolor paper is an option. I have put stencils on my jeans before applying to the surface just to pick up the lint, it tones the adhesive just enough to make it almost perfect.

Hope this helps.

cliff.kachinske
04-24-2015, 08:19 AM
A little shot of heat from the hair dryer should soften the adhesive a bit so you can peel it. Not sure what it will do to the reusability of the stencil, though.

I would try it on scrap first.