PDA

View Full Version : "Alone"

thevaliantx
04-24-2015, 04:20 AM
1411" assorted Pastel on Strathmore paper using a photo shared by Wendy Parkyn.

Blayne
04-24-2015, 06:53 AM
You've done some beautiful work on this, George! I really like the soft, lovely greens and oranges and the striking red roof. It's a pretty conventional composition but still has your distinctive style.

thevaliantx
04-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Thank you Blayne. I really did not know what colors to use for the two hills in left. In the photo to my eyes they had local colors of orange and I think a gray-blue. From what I have read and observed in real life, hills tend to become more and more blue in the distance, so .... this is my first time trying atmospheric perspective. I really tried to make a pathway of light toward the viewer.

Blayne
04-24-2015, 08:32 AM
You could maybe echo that color of soft blue-gray you have in the fence post and shed for the distant hills. Check out the first page of the Spotlight, where Don uses Photoshop to pick out the colors of distant hills in the example photos.

thevaliantx
04-24-2015, 04:13 PM
I only have access to my cell phone. I wonder if creating a color finder would do the trick. Technology isn't really my thing :)

Blayne
04-24-2015, 04:58 PM
I don't know how Don creates those color swatches--i don't have software or knowledge to do it, either. Just taking a look at Don's example might help you, though.

ural jones
04-25-2015, 10:07 AM
George, good advise given. I hope you can always retain your style because it has a uniqueness that is you. If you wish to see another style similar to you, look up this artist : Maurice Vlaminck. Hopefully you will be encouraged to continue your fine art work!

thevaliantx
04-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Ural, I am flattered that I might even compare to another artist from so long ago. Pierre Bonnard was another artist someone compared me to. The painting I did above disappoints me for two reasons. It is based off someone else's photograph and while the photograph 'spoke to me' and it is in my opinion a beautiful scene, I just wasn't there.

The painting above looks like mud. I will likely try this one again, using marks and scribbles along with patches of color to define things.

ural jones
04-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Now, that's the right spirit, you keep doing it!