PDA

View Full Version : large wacom tablet???????????

jow104
04-24-2015, 03:37 AM
I was considering purchasing a large version of a Wacom tablet.

Then using my existing small version I selected a portion of a project in progress and used the magnify tool to enlarge just a section of my painting.

Would this be the same as using a large Wacom tablet and getting the same effect without the bulk of the tablet plus the expense?

Davkin
04-24-2015, 11:20 AM
I admittedly don't have a lot of experience and it may just be my own hang ups but I actually wish I had bought a smaller Wacom tablet and I just have the medium size. I don't know why, but even though my Surface Pro 3 is about the same size as my medium tablet, maybe even just a tad larger I find it much easier to use than a Wacom. Of course part of that is my poor hand-eye coordination but what also bothered me was how far I had to move my hand, it just seemed really far and stressful, whereas the same movements on the Surface don't bother me. Again, it probably comes down to that hand-eye coordination thing, but drawing directly on your image is no comparison to using a Wacom tablet. I really couldn't get the hang of using a Wacom tablet myself, (and I'm a mechanical designer by day!) but am loving the Surface.

b'anna
04-26-2015, 01:45 PM
I have the medium and it works fine. I think it depends on how much real estate you like to work with. What you see on the screen will be the same with what ever size you get. It is just a matter of how you like to work. the larger size give you is more room for your hands and brushes to move. I think it is a personal preference. Some people find the large to big but again that is personal preference.

Delofasht
04-26-2015, 10:46 PM
I have a medium myself, given the opportunity to go back in time I would have bought the large. I use my shoulder to do my drawing and painting and as such tend to make some rather large sweeping strokes actually more often than I thought I would of. Also I have been having arm and shoulder pains from constraining my strokes, zooming out makes my strokes shorter but tends to also end up having a negative response in most software (Photoshop/Painter has a tendency to cause my strokes to be wobbly when zoomed out like that, haven't noticed that in ArtRage though).

It really depends on how you paint and how much of it you do at your computer, how efficient you are, and so on. Davkin makes a good note of on screen painting (a Cintiq or Surface Pro) is absolutely amazing and changes everything here. It is for this reason alone that I'm happy to have the medium Wacom tablet though, because one day I'm going to buy a big Cintiq and then just use the tablet for on the go with my laptop.

Good luck, hope it works out for you no matter your decision.

jow104
04-27-2015, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the views, I shall most probably purchase the large tablet, and I can still use the small if needs must at times.

Does the larger tablet need more computer power ?

Delofasht
04-28-2015, 04:47 PM
I am almost completely certain it shouldn't require additional power, jow. Enjoy your purchase, I'm sure it will serve you well for many years to come.

L Skylar Brown
09-22-2016, 10:36 AM
I used a tablet with a 6x8" working surface for years (2009).It died from overuse, I think. I bought a Wacom Intuos Pro (Medium), which has a slightly larger working surface. Coupled with my new All-In-One large-screen computer, I've really enjoyed it.

Jeroen
10-15-2016, 03:25 PM
You probably already bought one, so I'm typing this for anyone who does a search on WC for tablet advice.

I used many different Wacom tablets over the past years professionally. I haven't touched a mouse in 20 years.

Best size for you is very personal. I have used very small and very large tablets. I also had a Cintiq (with a build in screen) for a short time.

The big tablets
If you're the one that paints and draws from the shoulder with big arm movements and if you can afford it, this is your tablet.
I personally found the big tablets clutter my desk too much. And I'm more of a draftsman that draws from the wrist. Besides, dragging a folder or a file on your desktop takes a long arm movement with a big tablet. That makes it act like a really slow mouse.

The small ones
These do the job for me. Not too small but certainly not too big leaves enough space on my desk and doesn't slow me down in the finder and Indesign.

If you're not sure what to get, buying a small one for starters is not a bad idea. See if you can get used to the pen/screen setup and if a tablet is something for you in the first place. If in the end you need a bigger one; just upgrade. If not, you saved yourself a lot of money.
Realise that cheap small tablets have a lower resolution. That sucks when doing 3D, but more importantly when painting in Photoshop or Painter. And a tablet that is really tiny works like it has ADHD when you use it as a mouse.

Cintiq tablets
They're sold as the holy grail in tablet land and they'll cost you a fortune. This is what most freelance visualizers use and I can understand, if drawing is the only thing you do on your computer and considering those people's price per hour. For the record, I also know a visualizer (one of the best in the industry in my country) who said he went through 3 Cintiqs in 2 years because they all broke down and in the end decided against them.
I had one for a short while. It was cool for the first hour. But working on it for 8 hours straight was really bad for my neck. It hurt and it made me nausious. I prefer to look up to my screen, much more relaxed. Also, I use a lot of keyboard combinations when drawing in Photoshop and shifting from the Cintiq to my keyboard was slowing me down too much.
If someone is looking into Cintiqs, it might be an idea renting one for a day or 2 before buying.

I have an Intuos 4x5 at home for personal use next to my MacBook.
And I have a 6x8 at work, with a MacBook with to a 27" monitor in front of me. I like to have my Wacom next to my separate keyboard and a sketchbook with a a tech pencil between me and the keyboard.

jow104
10-16-2016, 04:39 AM
Thanks above for all the replies. I purchased a Wacom intuos pro 5 and after around 6 months I returned to the retailer it came unreliable with my PC windows 7pro, drivers continually needed changing and uninstalling, so claimed unfit for purpose.

I went back to an old bamboo tablet used the drivers on the disc that came with the kit and that is stable.

Would go back to 5 pro when things run without complaints on the forums.

laika
10-20-2016, 07:34 PM
I have to work that way on my phone, jow. I can't imagine not working without magnifying areas being worked. Maybe your small wacom would seem huge if you tried working on a phone for a while ;)

SeaScapePtr
01-06-2017, 04:03 AM
I have a medium size wacom tablet and I think it may be too big and bulky.
I want to try the small one. I think I'll buy a small one sometime.
Maybe you just don't need a large area to use a tablet.
I dislike that they make the tablet much bigger than the usable part of it.

keenart
01-10-2017, 01:34 AM
I have the medium size Bamboo, I believe it measures about 8 x 12.
I also have an older Medion 12 x 16 I got for about $100 ten years ago and it is still working in Windows XP in a VM. No drivers for the current OS's. The Medion is nice for large abstracts but to big otherwise.