PDA

View Full Version : Here's this week's Marker Pen Cityscape ....

JayCeeGee
04-21-2015, 02:29 PM
... based on pics I took in Earlsfield, SW London last week...

AnnieA
04-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Another terrific one! It's amazing what you can get those markers to do. The light quality is really pleasing and the graffiti on the bridge is a nice touch. Good composition, too! Bravo!

JayCeeGee
04-23-2015, 02:23 AM
Thanks very much - this is my favourite one I've done thus far, primarily because I'm happy with the way the light appears, in particular the way the scene in the far distance is light and almost visceral, which is what I was trying to achieve.

AnnieA
04-24-2015, 02:13 AM
I'm not certain what you mean by "visceral," but when I first saw the piece I noticed the far distance and thought it was handled nicely. You have a very good eye for value. I always found markers fairly difficult to use myself, so I'm especially impressed with what you can achieve with them.

JayCeeGee
04-24-2015, 03:16 AM
I'm not certain what you mean by "visceral," but when I first saw the piece I noticed the far distance and thought it was handled nicely. You have a very good eye for value. I always found markers fairly difficult to use myself, so I'm especially impressed with what you can achieve with them.

Ha! Yes, It's probably the wrong word to use, but, looking it up, it says 'relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect', and I think I meant the suggestion of the far, hazy light shapes of those distant buildings. As opposed to the bricks, the bridge and the tree on the left.
Thanks very much for your kind words. I enjoy working with these markers a lot...

tangleweeds
04-24-2015, 12:32 PM
I think this is my favorite of the series too, though I've enjoyed them all. I think the textures here are particularly appealing, too., plus the nice 3D feeling of the road passing under the bridge. Well done!

gig
04-25-2015, 05:30 AM
That looks so great, thank you for sharing :)

Artchrispy
04-25-2015, 07:49 AM
Marker? Wow I've never seen a markers used so painterly. Great job on hitting the values and controlling the saturation. Do you use some type of solvent to remove ink if needed? This makes me want to go drop $50.00 on a set of Prismacolors which will end up sitting till they dry up after one or two uses. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jon
05-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Nice work. Good job on slowly fading away the street into the distance.

JayCeeGee
05-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Marker?... Do you use some type of solvent to remove ink if needed?

No, but I do sometimes spread some Copic 'Opaque White' on areas if necessary...

This makes me want to go drop $50.00 on a set of Prismacolors which will end up sitting till they dry up after one or two uses

That's the way! You know the rules...

Bevahlee
05-20-2015, 07:19 PM
this makes me think of the ashcan school painters, like John Sloan. I love it.
Great feel appeal