PDA

View Full Version : Attempt at portrait

TamiP
04-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Daughter and granddaughter... I am proud of the fact that this is the first time I've attempted portraiture in decades (literally)... and I have never been good at them. People are so tough for some reason. LOL

The original photo and my attempt.

cliff.kachinske
04-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Good start, Tami.

TamiP
04-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Thanks Cliff. I've entered the realm of 'fear of screwing it up' lol.

Added a little more color here.

TamiP
04-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Not sure if this actually made it better than it was or not. I can't seem to get anything to be more than just adding more paint for the sake of adding paint though, so it has to be done unless someone can suggest what I could do to improve it.

Charlie's Mum
04-21-2015, 05:23 PM
I do think the skin blending is better in this last one - but it's a bit pink!!!:)

Also, check the features carefully - one eye of you g'daughter is really good, the other tiny!!! Similarly with your daughter's eyes - they're rather prominent in tone and hardness.

Keep refining though, and really just looking closely before painting!:)

Dcam
04-21-2015, 09:05 PM
You've done well and I would keep going with more practice. I agree with mum on the eyes.
A little trick....hold your painting up to the mirror and anything that is off will be exaggerated.
Derek

jocko500
04-21-2015, 11:45 PM
this is good start. i saw a demo on wet canvas on how to do hair. You may wish to look it up and try it some. what the others say is very good advice. I have trouble with people also.

jonc50
04-22-2015, 01:54 AM
This looks like it may be a small sized panel for your painting. You didn't mention the size, but smaller brushes might help correct areas that you might like to change. The smaller brushes would give you an advantage while working on lightening or darkening certain areas to match the original. It would also help with fine-tuning the distinctive features such as the eyes, and particular areas of the hair. One of the beauties of acrylics is that you can keep reworking until you have what you want. You needn't settle for what you have until you are satisfied that all areas have been corrected to your satisfaction. Very nice piece.

TamiP
04-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah the eyes gave me a lot of trouble, and skin color is such a pia, it was definitely a learning experience I am going to try again. Jon...I think after a certain amount of tinkering with it, frustration just kept me from hitting the right mark. I may go back to it, but I have to step away for a little bit. Maybe after brewing for a day or two I will be able to give it a new attempt.

It's done on 9x12 canvas paper.

Fox_eNova
04-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Good work Tami, a portrait is hard enough, 2 faces just makes it at the least double hard! I agree the left eye on young lady is a bit small and overall too pink.

TamiP
04-24-2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks Eric. I agree with both the eye and the pink comments. I had a heck of a time with the color of the skin. First it was too fallow, then too red, then too pink... I may get it right eventually. LOL

ColinS
04-24-2015, 09:55 PM
I also find portraits very challenging, but it's fun to work toward getting it right. Try adding a touch of Naples yellow to your mix. I found it had a good opaque quality and a tone that knocked things back when they got too "pink".

TamiP
04-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the tip Colin. I'll give that a try!!

hunterpaul
04-26-2015, 04:47 PM
have a look at this.. its a colour wheel, something every artist should gain a working knowledge of.. if you want to create a colour, or deaden a colour, cool it down, warm it up.. mix a colour etc etc this is the place to look.. x

hunterpaul
04-26-2015, 04:50 PM
I would say your pic has gone a little on the carmine side of things look at the wheel.. so the opposite colour will start to drag it back to where it needs to be.. Obviously this is just a photograph of the wheel I use.. so its not perfect on here.. but it give s you the idea.. hopefully