PDA

View Full Version : Impending

thevaliantx
04-20-2015, 05:07 AM
1411" assorted on Strathmore paper.

thevaliantx
04-20-2015, 02:49 PM
The scene is one of a storm on the way. How would you go about slightly lightening this?

Scottyarthur
04-20-2015, 08:06 PM
More variation in value and colors, would help, maybe some cooler colors as well. don't be afraid to try things out. I have learned by going out on a limb. if at the worst you can either clean it off or use some rubbing alcohol to go over it.

thevaliantx
04-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Don't cooler colors make things even darker, in general? I imagined that with a stormy scene the temperature in the air would be cooler than on a calm day. Am I getting this backward?

thevaliantx
04-21-2015, 02:30 AM
After reading Stapleton Kearns' blog entry on confusing color with value, I will be pulling this one out of the frame and reworking it :)

jackiesimmonds
04-21-2015, 03:24 AM
before you rework it, check the values by taking your photo OF THE PAINTING into a photo editing programme and make it black and white, or greyscale.

Then you will immediately see the values. almost every student I have ever had, has confused colour with value....or, even if they understand the distinctions intellectually, they cannot get it right on their paper.

It takes some time to be able to recognise the value of a colour. Best way to check to see how good you are at this, is to make squares of grey on your paper, from dark to light. Underneath each square, take a coloured pastel out of your box, and try to match the value. some are easy...a dark brown will sit happily under an almost-black; a pale lemon will sit under your lightest grey. But it's the ones in between that can be baffling.

Then, photocopy the result. If you got it right, all the coloured squares will look the same tone as the grey ones. it is quite an eye-opener.
Here is one I did for one of my books. A line of greys across the top, then random colours underneath. When photogrhed in greyscale, you can see where tones have been wrongly placed (see bottom left). Probably the only correct line is the darkest one.

I have to add: Only by DOING something like this, will you really learn. Just reading about it won't be the same.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1805-tone_chart_wc.jpg

thevaliantx
04-21-2015, 03:51 AM
Jackie, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by. It is probably apparent to everyone that I spend a lot of time watching youtube videos on drawing and painting, and reading books about the same, but as you said I am not sure I can name five things that I learned by any other way than doing. I am going to try to create this grey scale chart and trying to match the colors as you have tried to do. I will post back. Thanks again :)

thevaliantx
04-21-2015, 05:42 AM
I have not yet done the color value study, but I sure will. It would be interesting to know where all of my choices lie on the spectrum. What I did was use image editing software on my Note 3 to create a grey-black version of the image of the painting. This told me my biggest problem was the dark mass going down the road, and the sky was too blue. I used lighter greens closer to me and varied the values to the end of the road. I did the same thing for the shadows and for the sky I used a lighter blue and some white. To draw attention to the pathway I jsed more strokes and less blending. I am happier with this effort :)

Scottyarthur
04-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Here is another way to look at it.
Value In a black and white photo the lightest spot is the lightest value and the darkest spot is the darkest value.
Value is defined as the relative lightness or darkness of a color.
So say blue would go from almost white to almost black, see this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightness photo on the right.
Hue is somewhat synonymous to what we usually refer to as "colors". Red, green, blue, yellow, and orange are a few examples of different hues.
Temperature of a color or Warm and cool colors
Cool colors such as blue, green and light purple have the ability to calm and soothe. Where warm colors remind us of heat and sunshine, cool colors remind us of water and sky, cool colors look as though they move back or recede, Warm colors look as though they come closer, or advance
Learning to see these 3, Hue, Value, the warmth or coolness of a color will help you to see paintings better.
Hue, Value, and Temperature of a color are very important.
Then remember Intensity of a color, meaning how bright "pure" or dull a color is, & not to be confused with Value, which is how light or dark a color is. I hope this wasn't to long and confusing.