PDA

View Full Version : Wine glasses

Bob in Florida
04-19-2015, 08:35 PM
I did this last week. Saw the photo on google images and liked it. So I painted it. The camera phone photo doesn't show the background properly. The area around the stems is actually a deep dark red that blends with the black. I mixed aziliron red and cadmium red and then added ebony black.
The white edges of the glasses was the hardest to do. I just couldn't get an consistently straight and even line. 9 x 12" acrylic. C & C always welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2015/1966537-Wine_glasses_2.jpg

Fox_eNova
04-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Nice work! great symmetry, always a problem with round things.

TamiP
04-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Glasses and anything with glass has to be one of the toughest things to paint. I like it.

jocko500
04-20-2015, 12:18 AM
very good work

Explorer45
04-20-2015, 02:30 AM
The glasses look great and the angle of view is slightly above mid point, so the wine level should also be an eliptic circle matching the elipse at the tops of the glasses. It appears to be a single line as if viewing straight on.

LavenderFrost
04-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Very well done.

artrookie
04-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Very nice painting. Wine glasses are well done.

cliff.kachinske
04-20-2015, 09:08 PM
I like this.

I think the uneven lines are very expressive and match the style of the painting. I also think you have the perspective correct on the ellipses and the level of the drinks works for this painting.

That said, it is a little hard to read the rims of the glass. If a viewer sees them upside down the perspective will appear to be off. Using a broken line or maybe a slightly darker line for the back rims will make them easier to read.

Bob in Florida
04-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Thank you all for the comments.

Explorer I agree with you. But I guess it was a trick photo because that's how it was. I immediately thought the perspective was off, but I assumed that was intentional. In fact the base of the stems seem off to me also compared to the rims of the glasses. But hey, that's art. :)

Stumblefingers, Thanks for the advice and I agree with you.

ColinS
04-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Very good. Tricky compositio with all the ellipses. The 3 glasses on the left look very very good. I am not sure about the symmetry on that big one at the back on the right. The stem doesn't look centred. Nice shine on the glass.

cliff.kachinske
04-20-2015, 11:22 PM
The stem doesn't look centred.

I don't think my stem would be very well centered after five glasses of wine. :lol: :lol:

Explorer45
04-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Bob, I owe you an apology. Please ignore my previous comment. The straight level of the wine compared to the elipse at the top of the glasses is perfectly consistent with the reality of a straight on view. Of course this is what you represented from the photograph. Stange how I thought it was not possible to have this effect.

Anyway, it is a very good painting of the difficult subject of glass, and certainly technically accurate as well.

Bob in Florida
04-21-2015, 11:15 PM
Explorer, no apologies necessary. I thought it looked wrong to. But then I shouldn't have been sampling the wine while painting. :cool:

ColinS, Good catch, it is off centered a bit. I didn't catch it till I was done and then didn't want to fix it. :D

Again, thanks for the comments.

Dcam
04-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Bob a nice setup and well painted.
:thumbsup: Derek