PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Reflections

thevaliantx
04-18-2015, 07:55 PM
I hope I can pull the proverbial rabbit out of my hat.

Already the ellipses are driving me bonkers. I will try to take photos more frequently. I went with a black piece of paper to see if I can figure out how to bring the objects out of darkness.

thevaliantx
04-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Here is some more progress. I woke up at 4:30am and headed to the kitchen for some painting.

The brightest green that came in my set is hard as a rock and there is little color coming off the stick. Very scratchy :( Is that normal with Mount Vision.

I don't have any sort of particle removal system to help get rid of the dust, and because our house is too small for me to move the easel around, what I am doing is tearing off a string of 3 paper towels, laying that over my lap and resting the large drawing board on top of that and against the table. If my hands get dirty I wipe them off on the paper towels. If dust begins to collect I take a deep breath and tap the board against my legs.

thevaliantx
04-19-2015, 06:25 AM
Here is more progress!

thevaliantx
04-19-2015, 07:08 AM
The sun is rising and I am having to knock back the reflections on the surface. The reflections give way to highlights.

Scottyarthur
04-19-2015, 12:34 PM
The right half really shines, I like the effect.

thevaliantx
04-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Scott, this one is nowhere near finished :) If anyone wants to share anything that I need to watch out for, or something that would help me get better at this, have at it. It is much appreciated!

thevaliantx
04-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Drawing the spoon exactly as it is corrected some perspective issues. The apple is now mishapen and the wooden vase has a Leaning Tower of Pisa look going on :) The size of the apple's reflection should be just slightly smaller than the apple itself. I decided to get rid of the black background and turn the counter top into a rounded table. My plan is to put the scenery in front of a bay window.

robertsloan2
04-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Good plan! I like the increasing refinement. Metal vase is going to be a spectacular focal area. On the apple, you've probably noticed that it seems to have an opening as if it's a ceramic apple vase. It's leaning but it's also a bit jazzy looking and might be kept as is if you treat it as what it's becoming rather than what it started out to be. I still don't get what the flowers or flower sculpture is suspended by, why that hasn't got at least one stem into the wooden vase - but maybe you just haven't put that in yet? That's the one surreal thing here.

You're doing great! Onward! Like the bow window idea but don't get too busy with what's outside the window.

thevaliantx
04-20-2015, 12:58 AM
Thanks Robert for stopping by and leaving your thoughts. I could listen to you all day telling stories. You have a way of taking all the negative space in a sea of confusion, and coming away with the positive. I haven't put any stems in the vase because I am trying to nail down the form of the vase. All this experimenting and changing course with the Mount Visions is going to break me :)