PDA

View Full Version : small dilema , need some input

Fox_eNova
04-18-2015, 01:52 AM
I have sold or given away a few pieces that every one liked. Should I remake them
and sell again ? Or leave them gone to be "ones of"? I want to enter a national VA art competition and use one of my eirlier works. I would have to make a new copy.of an old painting.
What say you?

Yorky
04-18-2015, 02:58 AM
I see no reason why not, many artists do series of paintings which are very similar.

Doug

cliff.kachinske
04-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Do it.

The only reasons not to would be if you gave the recipient the idea that the painting would be unique or if you transferred the copyright, which would be extremely unlikely.

ArtMarkie
04-18-2015, 10:27 AM
You would not copy it exactly, each brush stroke is different. I bet you would decide to change some things as you went along.

TamiP
04-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Agree, only prints can really be 'duplicates'. When you recreate a painting it's going to be intrinsically different in many ways even when trying to be exact. You'd have to be a machine to really get it stroke for stroke the same. If you like the idea, go for it. I don't try to chase a painting I thought I did perfectly... I find myself disappointed, but that's me. Personally, I'd go for a 'same theme' type of idea.

mellybean
04-18-2015, 02:31 PM
I agree with the others, I see no reason not to. I've re-created a few paintings that more than one person wanted to buy - but I've told the buyer they are recreations and though they are original in the sense that I created them, they are not original in the sense that that is the only one of its kind out there. As long as you are honest with the buyer I see no problem :)

Andre Yusin
04-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Interesting as it goes to the very heart of the question that I too wanted to ask: what is an authentic original? That's how Banksy advertised his mostly unsold in the Central Park art if I remember correctly and those paintings were just stenciled copies of something that he originally produced somewhere else earlier.

Dcam
04-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Hi Eric: I once sold a painting that was so popular that it sold 3 times and I explained to the buyers. No problem. I just made slight changes to each one and also the sizes were different.
Good Luck.
Derek

Fox_eNova
04-18-2015, 03:42 PM
OK Then, I will do a recreation. Thanks all for your input and encouragement.
You're all right, it will never be 100% the same anyway.

jocko500
04-20-2015, 12:25 AM
you can do as the ones above say to do or you can borrow the painting back if it is close by and enter it and put a "NFS" sign on it