PDA

View Full Version : Nancy's tulips

campeche
04-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Howdy!
I normally hang in the colored pencil forum. I invested too heavily in a full set of pan pastels and Stabilo CarbOthello Pastel Pencils, I have to say that I'm not quite getting "it". I'm thrilled that pastels are so much quicker, but so completely different.
Anyhow, this is my latest attempt on Mi Tientes Touch paper.
C&C welcome. Thank you for looking. Oh..... reference photo is from Nancy Rose from flcker and is used with her permission. Approx 8" x 10".

water girl
04-17-2015, 07:56 PM
The greens in the background are beautiful and work so well with the palette you've chosen for the leaves and tulips.Take a moment and consider the vase. Your left side does not quite mirror the right. When I'm unsure, I trace one side on tracinging paper, fold the paper in half and trace that first side, then hold it up to compare what I have painted in pastels. I hope the images explain this better than I do. I know this is picky :angel:,but gosh your painting is so lovely, it deserves that little correction. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2015/112055-baking_day_003.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2015/112055-baking_day_004.JPG

Still-trying
04-17-2015, 08:45 PM
The tulips are so lovely. I hope you do many more like this

thevaliantx
04-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Karen, do you fold the painting's surface itself or do you create the vase on another piece of paper with charcoal and transfer it?

Just my opinion, but I would try to push the values in the tulips a bit more.

campeche
04-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Hi Karen, thank you for your input! I see after I posted that, not only is the vase lopsided, I also didn't get the background green close enough to a couple of the tulips, the paper is dark blue so it appears that I've outlined a couple of tulips in black. I'll revisit both.
Thank you Jay, I've only done a couple of pastels before, my goal is to do one between colored pencil project. Colored pencil takes (me) forever, layer, layer, layer, layer and more layer.
Hi "thevaliantx", I will look at pushing the tulip values more. In my reference photo, the tulips are so very, very pale pink, almost pure white, I deepened them tremendously already.
I sincerely appreciate your comments!
p

water girl
04-18-2015, 04:04 PM
George, you can do your drawing first, then transfer to your pastel paper. Use charcoal if the paper is light, white charcoal if your pastel paper is medium to dark. If the pastel is painted, gently trace the vase or glass bowl, then fold the tracing paper in half and you can see where one side differs from the other. Even then, it's sometimes quite a bit of business to get the side to mirror one another.