PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in April

thevaliantx
04-17-2015, 06:59 PM
It sure feels like it!

After ordering my stuff from DakotaPastels I received in the mail a Mount Vision basic set and a pad of Mi-Teintes paper. At first I spent time touching the paper. I've never felt like this before. And I swear .... wait ..... (wrong song) I will NEVER go back to Strathmore paper.....

Next I sat there in the bed (I know, stupid) for about five minutes holding one of the sticks, completely frozen. Unable to decide whether to let the stick touch the paper or move the paper up to the stick.

It was like a boy and a girl meeting for the first time, neither having experienced a kiss. They pecked and then smooched, and it was all over from there :)

In the studio forum I will post my first pastel painting with these new toys.

water girl
04-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Enjoy! Which side of the Canson do you prefer? The smooth side or the textured? Curious minds want to know.

geej
04-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Merry Christmas! I always enjoy seeing your work but do recall you feeling that your art supplies were limiting well Congratulations on your new stuff and I really look forward to seeing the results!

thevaliantx
04-18-2015, 12:15 AM
Geej, it took me awhile to realize that the Blick and Mungyo pastels are just so dull. I think most of it was due to little pigment and also because of using paper that had little to no tooth. In order to get additional color onto the paper I had to mash it on there which I think mutes the color.

Karen, after my experience with Strathmore I am not sure I have it in me to use the smooth side that happens to look a lot like the Strathmore stuff.

robertsloan2
04-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Congratulations on your new supplies! Can't wait to see your new paintings, this is going to be great. Love your description of the feeling, stick and paper not sure who's going to move in for that first kiss!

Mount Visions are wonderful. They have a cool texture, very fluffy and go on easily with a sparkle and vibrance hand rolled pastels shine with. I've often been tempted to get more of them, not sure why I didn't other than annoyance with the box mine came in. Hint - break into three pieces, not two, since the sticks are so big. It makes the pieces more manageable.

thevaliantx
04-18-2015, 11:11 AM
I am scared to death of using up the sticks. I look down after laying the color and am dismayed at the flat area on the stick. It shouldn't be surprising that I am this way because I brought Kan Ban into my home to cut down on supplies. :)

Robert, I don't know if I have it in me to break those sticks. I guess you and Alleydoodle do it, lol. I would worry that the small piece would cause me to get close to the work and brush it with my hand. How do you break it without wasting pastel?

I haven't mowed the yard in a week so I am heading outside to pick dandelions for my next still life. Mowing an acre with a pushmower isn't very fun. We're poor.

RickinNM
04-18-2015, 04:47 PM
I am heading outside to pick dandelions for my next still life.

Those will make a nice still life. But that reminded me of Mom and Grandma use to pick their leaves in the spring and make several types of salads . There were pretty good too .