PDA

View Full Version : Modern Cafe Neon Sign

DougThomas
04-17-2015, 10:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2015/1968992-modern_salonshow.jpg

Title: Modern Cafe
Size: 18x24
Medium: Reduction Linocut (6 Color)

This is my recent completed piece that I worked on for about 2 months. For those who aren't familiar - the reduction lino printmaking technique involves carving out any object that may be paper color (in this case, the white letters) and then printing the lightest color (grey neon tubes). I then carve away anything that was that color (grey) and print the next color (I printed red next because I wanted a strong intense red). Then I carve away the red section and print the next....so on and so on until my lino block has been almost completely carved away.

After each color is printed I give about a week for it to dry before attempting to print the next color.

sugarjets
04-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Wow, I am blown away by this print and the process. It's amazing!!!

Dcam
04-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Not only a fabulous image, but your composition is wonderful. terrific work.
Derek

DougThomas
04-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it. This is my second ever attempt at doing lino reduction. It turned out significantly better than the first (the first one was not bad, but it wasn't as good). These are 4 of the color proofs I pulled.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2015/1968992-ModernProofs.jpg

AnnieA
04-17-2015, 12:54 PM
This is amazing! Great work, Douglas! I too really like the composition, and thanks for showing us the process. It seems very involved, but what a terrific result!

Folio
04-17-2015, 11:38 PM
Fabulous work, outstanding. I'm lost for words! (it happens all the time).

Jon
04-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Well done!

DougThomas
04-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I really appreciate it. I feel like I've finally come across a form of art that I really enjoy and for the first time ever I've started submitting to art shows.

Hoping some of this printmaking works out for me.

Artchrispy
04-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Wonderful work Doug. Thanks for the explanation! The final image looks so flawless. Are there five or six layers in total? How many prints do you make of each image? I remember reading Rembrandt did something similiar but with just greys which is why his prints had such a wide value range, but my impression was that he did it all with just one plate (without having to modify the plate between layers. )

DougThomas
04-26-2015, 12:49 PM
There are a total of 6 layers. In printing order they went light grey/gray, red, light blue, shadow blue, shadow red and black. In total I made 6 prints so I print and then carve and repeat the process until the block is gone.

Out of those 6, I made only one major mistake....I accidentally placed the block down the wrong way while printing my 3rd color and printed it upside down. It obviously completely ruined the print. I continued printing on the error print so that I could see how the next color would print over the previous colors.

I'll have to check out the Rembrandt prints closer to see what he did. I believe he did etchings, but the ranges of value that he got were quite amazing. I've done etchings and drypoints (similar to etching, but used plexiglass and no acids or chemicals involved) and I've never gotten even close to the range of value that he got....I'm not that good...or even close. =)

LynneDe
04-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Amazing work, Douglas. I can't even fathom knowing so well ahead of time what you will need to do next to make it come out properly. I think it is wonderful how you can figure this all out. Thank you for sharing the process. I'm learning so much!

ColinS
05-02-2015, 12:13 AM
Wow Douglas this is stunning.

DougThomas
05-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Thanks!