PDA

View Full Version : still Life with Fruit

J.D.
04-17-2015, 12:36 AM
c and c is always welcome.:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2015/1304943-FullSizeRender_15.jpg

Still-trying
04-17-2015, 05:54 AM
I particularly like the two oranges and the apple near them. Would you consider cropping off some of the wall? Nice fruit shadows.

water girl
04-17-2015, 01:34 PM
You have done a terrific job in capturing the color and texture of the oranges.

J.D.
04-20-2015, 10:13 PM
Jay: yes, I think that I will crop off some of the top. I can do that and it will fit in a standard size frame.

Karen: Thank you. I am still learning but making progress:)

thevaliantx
04-21-2015, 02:28 AM
I easily pick up on patterns, so I think this composition is too predictable and book-ended. Also there are too few variations in value. Personally I would consider cropping off the bottom instead.

jackiesimmonds
04-21-2015, 03:50 AM
There are lots of variations in value, actually....from very light to very dark...but the problem is that they are rather scattered. also, you have lots of similar-size shapes, so it is a tad monotonous.

I would heartily recommend that before leaping into something like this, you try out a little sketchy thumbnail first, to see how the composition really looks.

By doing this, and using different shapes to work within, you might find more interesting layouts. For example....you have chosen a portrait shape, which gives you a large area of wall above, and an area of foreground, neither of which are very much in keeping with the fruit part.

You have a "horizontal" fruit still life.........which imho would have been better as a landscape shape, filling more of the rectangle, with less wall and less foreground.

A crop gives us this rectangle. I think this is better but Now the fruit looks squished between the borders....so by doing a thumbnail, you might have seen this, and would have made the rectangle a touch wider.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1805-fruit_sl2.jpg

The other thing to do, is vary the sizes of the fruits, so that you have more of a focal point, a spotlight on a ballerina, as it were....and to get more variety in the tones, try lighting carefully, ideally from just one side.

Look at this. look at the lighting, just from one direction; the changes of scale, and the positioning of the objects. See how the still life "breathes" because of the space around it, yet not too much space so it floats with vast areas around it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1805-impressionist_daily_painting__contemporary_still_l_2a42984630ee3337f67c8c075e2d819e.jpg

J.D.
04-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Thevaliantx: I will do some kind of a crop, loosing some of the top and some of the bottom.
Jackie: Thank you for the C&C. Once again you have given me much to think about. Your right, about the thumbnail. I do tend to rush into a project and in my excitement I don't always do enough prep work. In this case a few thumbnails would have been good. Thank you.

robertsloan2
04-21-2015, 09:03 PM
I agree with Jackie's comments but love love love that big orange and its texture. You have a good focal fruit with that one.

My suggestion is for the grapes. They seem a bit more like green grapes in their shape and somewhat the shading. Black grapes aren't usually saturated violet so much as a deep dark violet going to a reddish dark violet and then there's a haze of pale blue over them -a stick closer to a good sky color than anything else. They don't tend ot be shiny so much as semi-gloss with that pale sheen catching the light - often right at the edges rather than centered. It's easier to see if you check a good photo reference wehther they're outdoors or inside, or best of all working from live purple grapes. There are lighter ones but those are edging toward red grapes, which are definitely a red-violet or violet-red more than a blue-violet. Even they may sometimes get a pale blue haze of condensation.

They're cheery looking, but seem more decorative than natural the way they are now. Not necessarily a bad thing but the orange is so very true and natural, I love it.

Scottyarthur
04-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Great start, I like what Jackie and Robert had to say.

J.D.
04-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Robert: I really struggled with the grapes. Thank you for your insight. I need to do some more studies of grapes. It would be interesting to do some studies of different kinds of grapes. I just thinking out loud.
Scottyarthur: Thank you. :)

Turpintine45
04-24-2015, 01:09 AM
You have had great advice and I think much of it is really good such as the oranges which as has been mentioned are excellent. I would do another one.

J.D.
04-24-2015, 07:21 AM
I Think that I will do some more along this same theme. Only, I need to go to the store, as we have already eaten the subject :lol: