PDA

View Full Version : Netsuki

artguy51
04-16-2015, 09:44 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2015/974802-Netsuki2WC.jpgThird In a series of 9x12 Acrylic and pastel still lifes.
Over the years one collects some interesting stuff that you live with everyday and yet begin to ignore. Another piece I picked up while in Asia.

This little guy rests by the front door on an old campaign chest and a small Japanese lamp. I don't really know the symbolism of this piece but he appears to be a traveler in harmony with nature. His placement by the door seems appropriate.

The netsuke itself is only about 2" tall maybe 3" with the stand.

Pastels over an acrylic under painting with a textured ground on Masonite.
I put in some sand into the gesso, maybe to much. This was very experimental, just to see what would happen. It felt like painting on a brick wall.

The composition as with the other 2 pieces "Chess Piece #1" and "Chess Piece #2" it is very simple. I went for a iconic design. Maybe it works. Not sure.

As always comments appreciated.

water girl
04-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Wow! Another very interesting painting. The play of light on the figurine is quite lovely. Nicely done!

artguy51
04-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Watergirl, thank you. They were great fun to do. I love the mix of acrylic and pastels. It's like painting and drawing at the same time.

Still-trying
04-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Very satisfying to view this. Well done. But now I want to know all about the symbolism, the bird, what the man is holding. I'll be researching this to satisfy my curiosity.

Still-trying
04-17-2015, 05:50 AM
I looked up his little guy. He could be one of the seven Gods of good fortune. Perhaps the one for longevity. The crane is a symbol of longevity. I can't see what else he is carrying. Fun!

artguy51
04-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Still-trying, That is so cool, you did that. When you mentioned it I took a look also and got the same results. Nice. If I do more of these, I will make a point of checking out the history and/or meaning. It was just one of those personal things laying around the house.

Now it means even more to me after all these years.

Thanks

Still-trying
04-17-2015, 08:43 PM
I'm happy to have helped.

Scottyarthur
04-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Very nice