PDA

View Full Version : Rainy woods - C&C much appreciated

cliff.kachinske
04-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks for looking. Hope it gives pleasure. Critiques welcome and appreciated.

This is a study for a larger painting. I can see (on the original) that I'm going to have to reinforce the little yellow dabs I painted in the lower right to help your eye get past that dark vertical. I'll give you a virtual square of Ghirardelli dark choco with caramel and sea salt if you can find 'em.

12 X 10 IN in foam core board. My new favorite way to paint: fluid acrylics.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2015/1965263-rainy-woods-study.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-15-2015, 03:30 PM
I can just see them - I'll send my address!:lol:

Cliff, I'm confused by the title - thinking it wood be woods, as in trees!
So this looks like wood-grain but not necessarily rainy/rain-covered?

I'm a little lost here!:)

Dang - I've just realised you said 'virtual' choccy ........ will just have to go find a real-live-world piece now!

cliff.kachinske
04-15-2015, 03:39 PM
I can just see them - I'll send my address!:lol:

Cliff, I'm confused by the title - thinking it wood be woods, as in trees!
So this looks like wood-grain but not necessarily rainy/rain-covered?

I'm a little lost here!:)

Dang - I've just realised you said 'virtual' choccy ........ will just have to go find a real-live-world piece now!

Maureen, thanks for stopping by.

Well, that's not good. Not about G. Choc, about the confusion. I'm trying to evoke that misty mystical atmosphere that can happen in a forest in the rain.

Maybe a hint of underbrush would help along with the little yellow floral thingies that are barely visible. Also there's a blue glaze pushing the dimmer trunks back, though it's hard to see. Maybe a white veil would work better.

Or I could just change the title. Something like wet trees would do, don't you think?

But that's why we do studies, right? To find things out that we then ignore when doing the full size painting.

bluefish
04-15-2015, 05:01 PM
I'd call it...."No Nails"!.....:rolleyes:

Shamrock15
04-15-2015, 07:04 PM
My first thought was weathered boards as well. I think if you are going with a forest, you need more horizontal limbs as a start. Secondly, the foreground tree shows really strong light that is absent everywhere else so it confuses the lighting. Salvageable? Absolutely. As mentioned above, this is the reason for studies. Good concept.

cliff.kachinske
04-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Blue, :lol: :lol:.

D' Arcy, points taken. Thank you for the detailed analysis. I'm hoping to solve the problem without putting in too many horizontal limbs. I have a few other tricks up my sleeve to try. Likewise the high contrast trunk. I'm trying to get a feel for how I can get a long tonal range into the painting without creating problems of that kind.

Morton
04-16-2015, 03:00 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't see the trees for the wood panels either. (mmm this choc is nice). There wasn't enough visual information for me to see trees and depth. I'm sure you know what you are doing and can sort it out so that there is coherence. I like the tonal range.

cliff.kachinske
04-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Morton, no need to apologize. I appreciate the sanity check. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

LavenderFrost
04-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Maybe you should keep it as it is, like an illusion. Is this a piece of wood or is it a forest?

cliff.kachinske
04-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Michelle I just may do that. Maybe I could even make an awful pun, something like, "Bored of the Forest." :cat:

Or maybe not. :wink2:

bluefish
04-16-2015, 08:48 PM
or 'where did the woodpecker go?"....:D

or "heading for the paper mill".....:lol:

LavenderFrost
04-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Michelle I just may do that. Maybe I could even make an awful pun, something like, "Bored of the Forest." :cat:

Or maybe not. :wink2:

:lol:

Fox_eNova
04-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Sorry Cliff, I just can't see it. I too, see a wood grain board.

mellybean
04-19-2015, 08:53 PM
I have to admit my first thought was that it was a wooden plank, but upon focusing on it (and the title) I could see what you were working for. Maybe if you added more branches and some ground cover/foliage in the same colors you've already used you could make it appear more like a forest?

jonc50
04-19-2015, 11:24 PM
I see by the description that it is a forest showing the bottom portion of the trees with just one lower branch visible in the misted atmosphere. I'm assuming the yellow areas are some kind of flora that is vague due to the heavily fog. It's a nice abstract in that sense.

TamiP
04-20-2015, 12:02 AM
OMG I see it now. I'm not trying to be flippant. I really REALLY wanted to see it, but every time I came in to the thread all I saw was what looked like a painting (a really good painting) of several 2x4s side by side. This evening, for some reason I sat here and made myself refocus on the dark line that originally looked like the gap between 2x4s and saw the tree, then I saw the rest of them. It's actually now one of my favorite paintings. I think if you wanted something very straightforward, the 'tan' atmosphere is an unfortunate choice, BUT, as it is, it's actually amazing. You have to really focus, and the fact that your 'forest' actually looks like 2x4s is an ironic twist that makes it even better.

jonc50
04-20-2015, 09:13 PM
If you assume the light is coming from the right, you can see the closer trees and the trees that are further back as related to the shading, but since you can't see the bottom or the top, it limits your view and makes it quite abstract as though there was a heavy fog or mist, perhaps just past sunrise after a rain.

cliff.kachinske
04-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Eric, Melly, Jon, Tami,

Thank you for the insightful comments. :)

Right now I'm in a wrestling match with the full painting. I'm not sure who's winning right now. I'm trying to incorporate a full tonal range and I'm looking for the right color to pull the main color into the darker realms of the gray scale without having a shocking change in value.

I think it will be a nice painting if I can subdue it. We'll see.

Tami, by the way, the full painting is even more tan than the study. But hey, I once saw a very convincing portrait done entirely in fairly high chroma green tones. If that can be done, brown haze should also be possible.

TamiP
04-20-2015, 11:35 PM
Can't wait to see the full painting.

bluefish
04-21-2015, 11:56 AM
me too!....my monitor must be faulty because no matter how I stare at it, I can't see all that stuff you all describe...mist, trees, rain, all I see is the lumber aisle @ Home Depot.....:angel: :eek:

TamiP
04-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Blue-try focusing on the dark lines that look like the spaces between 2x4s, and see those as trees, the rest comes into focus at least for me that way.

bluefish
04-21-2015, 05:03 PM
still lost in Home Depot lumber dept.....going to purchase some caulk to fill those cracks.....:lol: :smug:

cliff.kachinske
04-23-2015, 03:31 PM
The bigger painting is done, but there's so much glazing on it that I have to give it some drying time and at least one layer of satin varnish so I can get a decent photo.

cliff.kachinske
04-23-2015, 03:32 PM
still lost in Home Depot lumber dept.....going to purchase some caulk to fill those cracks.....:lol: :smug:

Stop by the public library on your way home. I hear the computers there have color monitors.