PDA

View Full Version : seascape 30x40 acrylic on canvas

tkacrylic
04-14-2015, 04:05 PM
I attempted movement in the ocean but didn't want it to be stormy. I tried ripples. That's seriously difficult. Not great at cliffs. Any suggestions on how to do those would be great. Overall this was fun to paint.

joelaidler101
04-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Good name for a painting that.

tkacrylic
04-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Um, okay... I guess that's feedback.

scribblet
04-14-2015, 05:24 PM
I like it, I'm no expert but maybe the top of the cliff line shouldn't be so straight. :)

tkacrylic
04-14-2015, 05:40 PM
I agree. I can do that. Thanks

TamiP
04-14-2015, 06:11 PM
I agree. First thought was the cliffs look like they were sheared off with a blade, lol God must have been angry that day. I suppose it could happen, but probably not quite that flat. Actually I like your water a lot. The ripples came out good. The sides of your cliffs seem 'flat' as well. Even being straight up and down, I think they'd need a little more emphasis on crags and nooks that would naturally appear. REALLY like your foreground grassy area.

joelaidler101
04-14-2015, 06:21 PM
I think this is a really good painting, it must have taken you a fair few hours, and i really like the title too, hmm where did you get this from ..... me wonders??

Yikes_Scoobie
04-14-2015, 06:25 PM
It looks like the Cliffs of Moher, nice rendition, I particularly like the way the clouds have been painted in, it has the feel of a real wide angle lens on a camera, very nice indeed :)
My only constructive criticism for you would be to maybe try and add a little of your purple/reds from the sky and sea into the shadows on the underneath of some of the flowers and maybe bring them into the cliffs as darker shadow tones also to harmonise the colours throughout. I like this a lot, nice one.

ligal
04-14-2015, 07:20 PM
the cliffs and the horizon line of the water should not line up like

tkacrylic
04-14-2015, 08:02 PM
I saw a photo in google. I didn't know where this was so thank you so much for offering that yikes_scoobie! I appreciate all the feedback. I clearly have more to do. I need alot more practice in creating realistic cliffs. I've never done a painting like this b4 so it's good to hear what works and what doesn't. Here's the photo I used as a reference

ColinS
04-14-2015, 09:34 PM
I agree about the cliffs looking sheared off and the line matches the horizon of the sea which compounds the visual line created by the flat top.

I like the water and love the sky.

Margaret 59
04-14-2015, 09:48 PM
This was hard to paint and I think you did a good job.

Fox_eNova
04-14-2015, 10:31 PM
I agree about the cliffs looking sheared off and the line matches the horizon of the sea which compounds the visual line created by the flat top. I like the water and love the sky.
I agree with the above posts re: the flat cliff tops, they do not look natural. maybe show more top surface as the viewer is looking down anyway. I also think the ripples/waves should run on the same plane.

Jon Bradley
04-15-2015, 12:34 AM
Yeah, great work! that's a good size too.

Tossing a little higher value yellow and orange on the faces of those cliffs might help show the sunlight on them a little more.

Keep it up!

Ms.Sakr
04-15-2015, 04:32 AM
Nice work. Apart from adjusting the cliff, you can also blend the line where the sky and sea meet just a little bit. That will help show the distance more.

LavenderFrost
04-15-2015, 11:41 AM
And the ripples you added should be going in the same direction as the smaller ripples already there. But aside from these issues, it is nicely painted.

~JMW~
04-15-2015, 11:59 AM
In the ref image -see how the waterline/horizon fades into the sky? try blurring yours so it is softer.
The cliffs can be greyed just a bit as they go into the distance and softer as well in distance.
A light dry brushing with highlight colors in a faint orangey tone should make the cliffs more sunlit like the photo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOKlIIVXsVs

Or you can even take thick orangey paint and apply lightly in a single stroke for a strong texture effect. then don't blend it leave it, or wipe it off if you don't like it..

Charlie's Mum
04-15-2015, 12:31 PM
For a first seascape you've made a really good attempt at it.
Your sky is well done and the colours are good.
Your cliffs could be a gentler colour and angle back rather more - in the ref. they are horizontally banded rather than vertical blocks.
The far cliffs are a good colour, so if you made the closer ones just slightly stronger in that sandstone colour, I think that would work better.

Waves/the tide roll up to the shore so the edges of each wave should be nearer parallel with the cliff line -(but they aren't always, depending on currents!).

In the foreground colours should be brighter/stronger so you could really lift yours by making the clumps of flowers a lot brighter/lighter ..... if you want some flatter area, try making a path weaving through but don't let it take your eye off the canvas at the left.:)

Notice how the sea is not a bright blue, but greyed down - darker towards land (you've got a tonal difference in yours too) but those waves are seen merely as tonal wavy lines - lighter and darker but not white highlights. the distance takes away detail.
Study the angle of the lines and notice how they can't be seen past the mid line of the ref.

You already do rather well, you just need to learn to LOOK and STUDY more closely!:)

A word of warning about images from the Net - they may be copyright and you could be breaking the law - so make sure you get permission if they are copyright.
The RIL here on site has many thousands of images free to use, so you'd have no problems from here:) On the forum page, near the top, is a thread about using the RIL - check it out and look at the images!:)

cliff.kachinske
04-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Forget about the color of the water as much as you can and think about the surface texture.

In the distance it's smooth. Depict the smoothness by keeping the tonal value, the brightness, of the colors the same.

As the eye comes forward small waves become visible. Depict these by minute changes in the tonal value. Lighten and darken the colors just enough so the tonal differences are visible and make small ripples.

As the eye continues forward the ripples become larger and the tonal difference between peaks and troughs becomes more pronounced.

Also about the Net ... my opinion is one can paint better with subjects they have actually seen and experienced first hand, even if its from a photograph. (Exception for photo realists. But, again in my opinion, what they do is incredibly hard.)

tkacrylic
04-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks for so much detailed info. I tried to fix this but had to forego the representation photo as I currently do not possess the skills to do justice to such a beautiful place. I really need a lot of basic knowledge and have only been painting for a year with help from youtube. Still working on it and as you can see. I might just splash black paint all over it and start again. Live and learn I guess. Thanks again for taking the time to provide so much info to make it better.

cliff.kachinske
04-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Don't give up. Try this.

1. Paint some well defined red flowers where you have that red haze in the lower left.
2. Knock down the brightness of the red flowers on the lip of the very first cliff.
3. Repaint the water, but this time simplify it. Forget about the ripples and reflections for now, just try to get the tonal values looking right as you come from the horizon toward the viewer. You have a good start, the horizon is very convincing at this point and actually the water near the shore looks pretty good.

My rules for landscapes are not to paint everything I see and keep it simple.

tkacrylic
04-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Cliff. I checked out your site. You paint beautifully!

oramasha
04-16-2015, 08:59 PM
FWIW, I like your 2nd posted work much better! I think your biggest problem was trying to copy a reference that was already so "touched up" that you couldn't even see the natural color, shapes/contours, values, etc. that you would notice if you had been on site. The original reference didn't really have a good pattern of light/ shadow on each element which makes for a flat rendering. The scene looked artificial (esp the sky). Maybe just not my style . .or my idea of a good reference. I think you might find it helpful now to go in nature and focus on learning/observing just one element out in the natural world vs. copying a photo.

Morton
04-17-2015, 04:24 AM
I think you did very well considering you are learning from youtube and haven't been painting long.

Our tutor had us using simple reference photos so that we would learn how to mix our own colours and we could see if we had got a good match or not. Getting outside though and focussing on what is there is how you'll see textures, how subtle and varied nature can be and how colour changes as the light and the distance an object is from you changes.

While I've been out I've collected rough rocks and smooth cobbles to take home to paint and have taken my own photos as well. I also take photos of just a tree or a wall and have spent many a happy hour drawing and painting those single elements to get familiar with them. Familiarity with the single most common elements of landscapes makes it easier.

I hope you save some of your work, even if you consider them disasters, because later when you look back at them you'll see that you have made progress. BTW The second version is more interesting shapes than the ref photo :)

tkacrylic
04-18-2015, 09:16 PM
I keep plugging away at my painting in an attempt to add depth. I'm still not satisfied but I'll keep at it. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Charlie's Mum
04-20-2015, 11:48 AM
I think this last version has come a long way! :clap: :clap:
Yes, you could still do more but perhaps you have reached your limits with this particular one and need to move on:)

I have one suggestion which could be easily done and make a difference -
you've now lost the horizon too much - re-paint it as a straight line but make it just below the far cliff height and keep the colour just a shade darker than the sky there.
Then put your brush down and start another!:)

LavenderFrost
04-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Very good improvements since you first posted. It's even more interesting than the reference now.

oramasha
05-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Very good improvements since you first posted. It's even more interesting than the reference now.

Absolutely. I'm glad you simplified the ground plane and made the sky the star. I'm glad you edited as an artist would.

Bob Rooney
05-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Lower the ocean or raise the cliffs.