PDA

View Full Version : Question about white gouache. And convenience colors.

Phthalocyanine
04-13-2015, 11:52 PM
In gouache, how much white should I have in relation to the rest of the palette? Should I get the same sized tubes (15ml) or larger (59ml)? I only plan to pain the the zorn color scheme, so it's 3 other colors I'd be using.

Speaking of Zorn, I'm looking to get a a feel of the paints and one of the mixes is a red (pyrrol (PR254) and quinacridone (PR209)) and the other is a payne's gray (ivory (PBk9) and ultramarine (PB29)) and I wonder if this will result in actual purple mixtures rather than black/dull brown colors. I only happen to have all the colors sans ivory black, and was wondering if I could have someone tell me how it turns out if they had a sample of ivory black to test out.

oramasha
04-14-2015, 11:46 AM
In gouache, how much white should I have in relation to the rest of the palette? Should I get the same sized tubes (15ml) or larger (59ml)? I only plan to pain the the zorn color scheme, so it's 3 other colors I'd be using.

Speaking of Zorn, I'm looking to get a a feel of the paints and one of the mixes is a red (pyrrol (PR254) and quinacridone (PR209)) and the other is a payne's gray (ivory (PBk9) and ultramarine (PB29)) and I wonder if this will result in actual purple mixtures rather than black/dull brown colors. I only happen to have all the colors sans ivory black, and was wondering if I could have someone tell me how it turns out if they had a sample of ivory black to test out.

I'm a novice to gouache, but I find a little bit of white really tints well. I don't use as much as I thought I would. In fact, I have to remind myself NOT to use it. I'd maybe buy a 2 15's or a 30 ml until you have a feel for how much you use. Would hate for the stuff to not be fresh and go to waste.

I'll leave the color experts to weigh in on the purples. I'm guessing that you will have a very desaturated purple mix with an orange red and a um blue and ivory black mix. I'd choose the option of having um blue and ivory black as separate pigments for my flexibility now and in the future.