PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Fluorescent pink?

Ladylabobo
04-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Is it possible to mix a pink that is similar to fluorescent, in oils? If so what colours would be involved?
Magenta/white seems too insipid and red/white mix far too pastel. The colour isn't truly fluorescent but it's the closest I can describe as I can't add pic due to being on phone.

Patrick1
04-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Using lightfast pigments, the only way I know of would be Quinacridone Red/Rose (PV19) applied at the right thickness/thinness over pure white (preferably smooth), to get maximum chroma out of it. Adding white to raise the value will lose a lot of saturation. Quinacridone Magenta or Violet will probably be too purplish.

oramasha
04-13-2015, 01:19 AM
I just painted 2 layers of Perm Rose PV19 and that came close enough to read as fluorescent pink IMHO. (in gouache)

Gigalot
04-13-2015, 04:09 AM
You probably, have a very poor painting area illumination. Or, you like to paint very abstract things. :)

OK. First, try to underpaint the area you wish to have highest saturated rose color using a mixture with a touch of non-cadmium orange (PO73 pyrrole or PO43 vat orange) and brightest Titanium white with at least 30% of Zinc into it. Prmalba White or something close in color purity.
Then, after it became touch dried, try to paint what you like on top of this underpainting using Maimeri Classico Quinacridone Red PR209 paint. Do not use Titanium White in this paint layer. You need pure Zinc White or "Translucent White". Wait a week to let it dry. Then, apply a thin layer of transparent Alkyd on top (Liquin or Galkyd or Rowney Alkyd) to make it wet-looking and glass-quality saturated. Then, illuminate this painting using good quality, 15 watt, compact fluorescent bulb with 6500 Kelvin degree, from the distance about 1,5 meter at the angle of 30 degree to avoid direct reflection. You will have something, which can be described as a highly saturated rose color. However, if this color is not enough saturated for you, the only way is to use fluorescent acrylic or fluorescent gouache instead of oil paint.

Ladylabobo
04-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks all.

That's a lot to think about gigalot! I might just change the colour a touch instead of all that process ;)

Gigalot
04-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks all.

That's a lot to think about gigalot! I might just change the colour a touch instead of all that process ;)
:) That processes can work for many other high chroma colors. You can improve saturation level of Ultramarine, Phthalo Green as well as Orange and Violet. You can underpaint using mixed opaque colors and then glaze over using highly saturated transparent lakes. Just common practice in layered technique, nothing more.

Crystal1
04-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Very interesting information! Thanks, Gigalot.

Ladylabobo
04-14-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm going to try a test of this as I don't really know much about technical aspects of layering. Watch this space for results & thanks again gigalot