PDA

View Full Version : Help

Splatt
04-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I posted on the Welcome page but now I'm asking for help.
I am painting in acrylic and am close to finishing but I have overworked two areas in my painting to the point it is too thick and I can't paint cleanly on the subject. I want to start over but I'm left with the raised shape of the cow showing through. Is there any way I can remove this mess and re do the cow? I've read a little about rubbing alcohol and sanding? It's on an artist quality stretched canvas.
Thank you.....I don't want this to be the end of my picture.:(

Fox_eNova
04-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the acrylic lounge. You need an acrylic eraser. :lol:
I take a brush full of water and paint the area to be removed. This softened the paint, let it set for awhile, then I scrape the paint off gently with a knife or razor blade. Sometimes this requires 2 or 3 attempts (the fresher the paint the easier) gets me down to the gesso to start over on a smooth flat surface. As many mistakes I make, this is a normal part my M.O. for creating a painting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2015/1714334-DSCN0741.JPG

Fox_eNova
04-11-2015, 11:57 PM
BTW, if you are using a stretched canvas, put a piece of wood or a book under the canvas to support you scraping area and make it flat.

Charlie's Mum
04-12-2015, 06:29 AM
Welcome to our world! Most of us have had this problem at some time!:)

If it's (above^^^) worked for Eric, it's worth a try!:)
Be careful!!!

The paint can also be softened with alcohol - use a cotton bud - and then see if some will gently lift off.
For some bumps and lines you can use sandpaper - again, carefully - but it works!:)

PattiLou
04-12-2015, 09:14 AM
All the above works.... been there, done that! More than once! :D

Morton
04-12-2015, 09:42 AM
I had a dog in a painting that wanted to remain as a 'ghost' it was really ironic since it was a painting with ghosts in it, including the dog.

But where's my manners! Welcome to the wonderful world of WC and scrubbing out our mistakes :)

Splatt
04-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks everyone.....I am so happy to hear there is a solution...I thought I'd ruined my painting. Now to learn how to blend....that's the reason I had the build up of paint in the first place!

Charlie's Mum
04-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Splatt - check out our Information Kiosk - plenty of helpful info there about blending - included Classroom threads Index.
Link for IK in my signature:)

idylbrush
04-12-2015, 11:47 AM
You may want to look at a scraper like this. I got one recently and fine it quite useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Double-Edged-Razor-Scraper/dp/B004623NU2

oramasha
04-13-2015, 11:21 AM
I would not sand and inhale the pigment dust in the interest of safety.

Phil Bourgeois
04-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Painting on hardboard gives you "room for error" painting with Acrylics. I've rubbed out acrylics about a day old using a coarse cloth and water. I keep those nylon pot scrubbers near by and have removed acrylics by laying the panel flat, dabbing on water and "scrubbing out the area I want to repaint"...
Once most of the paint is removed, let it dry and go over it with open coat sandpaper ( Open coat sandpaper is a necessity with acrylics..it won't gum up on you..It's Open Coat if it says so on the back of the paper, ask for it specifically) As mentioned in other posts, alcohol is a solvent, scrapers are handy things to have and for small ares use masking tape to restrict the area you're going to "destroy"...try and feather the edges of the area you're working on to make the surface look level and not gouged out .
And that's about it! Acrylics are correctable to an extent...just not to the extent we'd all like it to be.