PDA

View Full Version : WIP walk through

b'anna
04-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Somebody actually asked me to do a WIP of my landscapes (much to my surprise and honor) so I figured I would comply.

This one was done in Painter. I pretty much work the same way on the ipad but the only difference Is I usually load the reference photo into the layer stack and put it on top. I do this so I don't have to go back and forth looking at my reference. I just turn on the layer and then switch it off again.It didn't occur to me until I saw a video to use my iphone. And since I'm usually starting Ipad sketch in some waiting room someplace I don't have my printer.

This was a landscape I got from online - paintmyphoto I think. I think I might have to do this in multiple parts because of upload limits

1 - the first thing I do is a sketch - either a quicky or detailed depending on what I'm doing. I always move this to the top of the layer stack and change it to multiply mode so I can see through it. Usually after I have got enough of the shapes in I turn it off.
2 - canvas - This is actually not on the canvas layer but it is my working canvas. I usually lay in blocks of color and then mess it up with an oil blender. Sometimes I will import the photo and mess it up. This is just so I'm not looking at a blank layer. This was painted in and messed up
3- from here on I work in layers putting a little in at a time. IT works for me. I also make sure I am on the paper texture I want. I will some times change the texture of the paper depending on the brush. Some brushes I designed to work with certain textures. Then I will change back to my choosen paper.

Occasionally at the end I will do a clone copy of my total painting and look to see if I want to boost colors or play with texture layers . This one had neither one. I do like to play with texture overlays because they can add so much character to the painting.
I'll add the rest of the layers in the next reply. They are numbered but in case they don't download that way. I do sometimes move a layer down in the stack , again depending on what I did or forgot to do. This was done in order

SKETCH
CANVAS LAYER
LAYER 2 - 10

Again, THANKS for asking!!
Barb

b'anna
04-10-2015, 02:30 PM
more layers

b'anna
04-10-2015, 02:31 PM
:lol: and the last. I told you I work in lots of layers

jow104
04-11-2015, 04:15 AM
Thanks again B'anna. I think that was a wonderful landscape and is the equal of any traditional watercolour/oil medium.

Your time and experience is a benefit to us all. Both this wip and the ipad example.

John

LavenderFrost
04-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Nice work. I like to use a lot of layers too.

bob63
04-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the demo!

I try to use only a few layers. One for each stage. If I want to try something new or I get "panicky", I'll start adding layers.

Bob

greywilson
04-22-2015, 06:06 AM
Thank you so much for this step-by-step walk through - really inspiring and fantastic final image

Meisie
05-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Very interesting! TFS! (love the final painting btw!)

DeerDancer
07-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Wow! You've done an incredible job making this digital piece look like real paint!

MSipe
07-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the walkthrough! It's a lovely landscape and I'm always so interested in seeing the way other artists do things!